Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #31
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GntlmnBndt View Post
I cannot speak for all banks, but only my personal experience. I have had Visa and Mastercard debit cards (3 Visa, 1 MC) at three different banks in two states, and while they do have fees, it is only to withdraw cash at ATMs that do not belong to my own bank's network.
As I said, I haven't used straight debit cards in years. Also, to have the Visa/Mastercard branded card that pulls from our checking account we had to have draft overdraw protection on the account... which is tied to an actual credit card.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #32
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I also find it very irritating when sites insist on Visa or other credit cards.
I have a debit card and a paypal account, but positively refuse to have a credit card. I prefer not to have debts of any sort, except for a small mortgage.
(I know that I could pay the thing off at the end of each month, but that's a hassle I can do without. If I'm having a busy week then I could just forget.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #33
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I also find it very irritating when sites insist on Visa or other credit cards.
(I know that I could pay the thing off at the end of each month, but that's a hassle I can do without. If I'm having a busy week then I could just forget.)
Patricia... Paypal can be actually more expensive for the vendor than a merchant account if they have good rates.

Can you not get a Visa/Mastercard branded debit card?

BTW: Our monthly CC payment is automated, so we don't have to remember to do it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:06 PM   #34
Croker
Connoisseur
Croker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, obv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Patricia... Paypal can be actually more expensive for the vendor than a merchant account if they have good rates.

Can you not get a Visa/Mastercard branded debit card?

BTW: Our monthly CC payment is automated, so we don't have to remember to do it.

BOb
These are all valid points, I guess, but having fought hard to wean myself off the bloody things, I'm not putting myself in temptation's way and getting another credit card

Guess I'll have to find some other sort of workaround. What it will be, though, I have no idea!
Croker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:57 AM   #35
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Hmm, Croker's right that Paypal Uk / Europe does not appear to off the One time credit card feature yet.

What they do offer is their own Credit Card (Mastercard) which you can apply for, or their Paypal Top Up card, which is apparently a VISA debit card similar to what we were talking about earlier in the thread.

Links

Paypal Topup Card
Paypal Credit Card
The PayPal Top Up card is basically a pre-paid VISA vard, quite handy (I used it to put money aside before buying my 505 with it from Waterstones)
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2009, 09:13 AM   #36
Croker
Connoisseur
Croker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, obv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
The PayPal Top Up card is basically a pre-paid VISA vard, quite handy (I used it to put money aside before buying my 505 with it from Waterstones)
...and you have to pay £4.95 to get one. I can't say I'm hugely keen, and I'm not sure I want another card anyway, even if it's only a top-up one.
Croker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:42 AM   #37
Oberon
Oberon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
I know this was asked a page or two ago, but will answer anyway!
My visa debit card is with Barclays uk and it has always been visa not electron and have had this particular account for 6/7 years now. My offshore account (Barclays International) is still electron but I haven't used that account in years.

It may even be worth just asking your bank if they can change the card with your current account to a visa, that would solve a few issues
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #38
Jovvi
Connoisseur
Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Cybook Opus, iPad and HTC Wildfire (Android)
I also live in Sweden (like Tompe) and my visa is also a debit card with no credit tied to it. Some banks here in Sweden will charge you an annual fee for your account, visa and intenet-bank, but my bank don`t.

They will however charge you a fee if you withdraw money in another currency or if you use your visa on your out of country vacation (this some people mean just shows that we need to join the Euro-club).

Some shops and resturants do charge you if you pay very small sums (less than 10 euro) although they are really not allowed to under contracts with visa. Those shops always place the blame on the banks that charge them, although they are also not allowed to do so...
Jovvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #39
kerrybluesun
kerrybluesun began at the beginning.

Device: sony e reader
I tried using my Visa Electron card and it was accepted! (Waterstones doesn't). Also found the download extremely quick and straightforward, and amazingly it all worked in Google Chrome!!
kerrybluesun is offline   Reply With Quote