Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 07:00 AM   #1
drago
Enthusiast
drago began at the beginning.

Device: KPW, BrokenfirstgeniLiad
iRex hints at releasing all the iLiad code

Karel of iRex made the following statement over at the iRex forum:

Quote:
However we are looking into the possibility of releasing all the remaining code of the iLiad to the community to allow further community development. But we are open for suggestion on this.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I really hope they do this. It would definitely open up the possibilities of the device, and really show off what the community can do.
Advert
Old 10-06-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Old 10-06-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drago View Post
Quote:
However we are looking into the possibility of releasing all the remaining code of the iLiad to the community to allow further community development. But we are open for suggestion on this.
I wonder ... do they think anyone's going to suggest that they not do this? Or do they just feel like they need to have a bit of persuasion on it.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
I think iRex have to conisder if competitors will get any benefit from the released code.
Advert
Old 10-06-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I wonder ... do they think anyone's going to suggest that they not do this? Or do they just feel like they need to have a bit of persuasion on it.
They are likely trying to gauge interest to see if it's worth their time to clean everything up, and make sure they're not releasing code they don't have the license to.

Hence why we really need to show them how much we want this.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #7
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
They are likely trying to gauge interest to see if it's worth their time to clean everything up, and make sure they're not releasing code they don't have the license to.

And I daresay the OpenInkpot project would be interested in this code - hopefully this would encourage Iliad developers/programmers to port OI to the Iliad!

(A small step towards world domination!)
Old 10-06-2008, 04:54 PM   #8
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post

Yes there are some things they licensed themselves, like the onscreen keyboard. Logically they can't release the code for that.

So in the long run it would be cool if we'd manage to assemble opensource alternative for that. The handwritting recognition surely is quite a task, but I think the simple click for key thing can be done. If it hasn't been done already and just needs to be adapted a bit.

(and if we manage that iRex might get quite something back for the orginal code too!)

Last edited by axel77; 10-06-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:22 PM   #9
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Oh hell yes. Should we start an internet petition for them or something?
Old 10-06-2008, 08:12 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
How about just flooding the forum where he made the observation ... or someone could just post the link to this thread over there.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:44 AM   #11
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
How about just flooding the forum where he made the observation ... or someone could just post the link to this thread over there.
There:
http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=2854&start=195

Be constructive :_)
Old 10-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #12
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?p=13822#13822

iRex has agreed to release their sources!!!

I fully intend to head up the project of organizing everything, and will try my hand at documentation.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #13
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Cool, maybe the iliad can now reach it's full potential! I can't help in the development, but I can offer moral support and testing services
Old 10-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #14
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

I wil probably take a day off to port OpenOffice to the Iliad
Old 10-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #15
axel77
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
Cool, maybe the iliad can now reach it's full potential! I can't help in the development, but I can offer moral support and testing services
We need someone to write documentation
Closed Thread