Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #406
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertheglobe View Post

P.S.: Not a big fan of the glossy housing either, but some companies sell matte, grippier "skins" with various designs, which can be cut to size if necessary (i.e. no Aura template) and will even fit the uneven back since they are sticky & flexible.
does anyone know where I can get something really thin and skin like that I can stick on arbitrary device and make it grippy?

I don't mean some fancy gelaskin thing specially cut for specific devices, but just like 2" strips I can cut off and glue on stuff.

Thanks

Edit: I just saw the post on plasti grip. Looks interesting. But it sounds like it could work too well and rip my skin right off lol.

Last edited by Barty; 04-24-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #407
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by alism View Post
I ordered mine on the 17th. The charge went through on the 19th. I received the tracking info on the 23rd and received the Aura today (24th). Even though I received the tracking info on 23rd it was sent on the 20th so you might not receive the tracking info until days after it has been shipped.
alism, did you directly order from KOBO? I ordered it on morning 17th. Today, KOBO still lost my order, or, althgoug found my order but $0 and zero item was in that order. Maybe I should order from other Canada bookstores?
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #408
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
I'm about the same. I have a Kobo Touch that works great for basic EPUBs, but my Kobo purchases (Original, Touch) have always been with the hope to read technical PDFs.

I tried an Aura HD at my local Chapters branch, and the PDF I tried looked great ("Latin For Beginners", available here: http://www.textkit.com/latin_grammar.php) . Easily readable, no need to zoom. Page turns were a bit slow, but well within my tolerance. Haven't tried any of my math PDFs, but I'm confident they'll look good too.

Now I just need to convince myself that the upgrade is worth the price tag
In all fairness, any PDFs I've downloaded from Textkit are terribly slow, even on my laptop and iPad. Good luck with your Latin!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:35 PM   #409
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwurm70 View Post
Hard to believe I got my first e-Ink for Christmas 2009, also sight unseen. That was a huge gamble. I wasn't sure I would like it at all. But I sure loved it the fall of 2010 when I was commuting an hour on the subway every day and got to read the whole time. So much easier to hold an ereader on the train than a book.

Now, almost 3.5 years later, I know more about what I want in an ereader. When I saw the specs on the Glo, I figured that would be my perfect reader, but I'm even more excited about the Aura. So glad I waited on buying the Glo.
My first ebook reader was purchased sight unseen in 2009 as well, and I was living in Europe and couldn't return it in case if any problems either. It cost $350 dollars if I remember correctly. Worth every penny!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:45 AM   #410
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
does anyone know where I can get something really thin and skin like that I can stick on arbitrary device and make it grippy?
Now that I have read on the Aura for a day or so, I have found that the design of the back, and the plastic they use, is much less slippery than I thought it would be. You could always wear rubber finger tips.

http://www.amazon.com/Swingline-Rubb.../dp/B0017DF9U0
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2013, 05:36 AM   #411
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
It's strange that they don't have it among their ereaders on their homepage though http://www.kobo.com/ereaders
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #412
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
It's strange that they don't have it among their ereaders on their homepage though http://www.kobo.com/ereaders
I see it - right at the top of the page, above the others
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #413
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Kobo's website is different depending on your location. If the Aura HD is not available to your region then you won't see it on your Kobo website. It's not on the Japan one either. Fortunately I circumvented that bit of asshattery by ordering from Canada.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #414
savbeowulf
Enthusiast
savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD Ivory
Just had google notification the Aura is now available from indigo for our Canadian friends!!!

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1152...able-at-indigo
savbeowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #415
alism
Connoisseur
alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD, Kindle 3, KPW,
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
alism, did you directly order from KOBO? I ordered it on morning 17th. Today, KOBO still lost my order, or, althgoug found my order but $0 and zero item was in that order. Maybe I should order from other Canada bookstores?
I did order from KOBO. I got two emails directly after one with just my shipping info and another that shows I ordered the Aura. I know I checked my credit card a few hours after ordering and it had a pending charge.
alism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #416
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Thought it might be something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Kobo's website is different depending on your location. If the Aura HD is not available to your region then you won't see it on your Kobo website. It's not on the Japan one either. Fortunately I circumvented that bit of asshattery by ordering from Canada.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #417
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Still not available in France nor Italy to buy or to preorder. But each day, we're getting closer

Last edited by samhy; 04-25-2013 at 09:43 AM.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #418
chrisparker
Connoisseur
chrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: iPad Air 4, iPad mini 5, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Nook ST Glowlight
Mine's just arrived! (UK)

Set-up via Wi-Fi flawless including firmware update to 2.5.1, will complete book sync tomorrow when new version of Calibre is installed.
chrisparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #419
skip_sands
Enthusiast
skip_sands began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite
There is a new calibre version? Newer than 0.9.27?
skip_sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #420
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
In Italy it's available for pre-order (169€) from Mondadori, I think it's the only seller here for Kobo ereaders, and they're going to start shipping them out from May 17th.
I'm very tempted, the screen looks great! Too bad I want something much smaller
glos is offline   Reply With Quote