Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #46
Brenciu
Brenciu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you Eskarina. Here is another review. I am not very decided if this phone is able to replace a small tablet.

I want to use is as ebook reader. Is good enough for this task ? The display is big enough ?
Brenciu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #47
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenciu View Post
Thank you Eskarina. Here is another review. I am not very decided if this phone is able to replace a small tablet.

I want to use is as ebook reader. Is good enough for this task ? The display is big enough ?
Only you can answer that. For me, I use my phone only when I don't have a bigger device available. I prefer to read on a large screen. But others are very happy with it.

I wouldn't recommend the Note as a tablet, for browsing, and videos the screen is still really small. Again, it is great for a few minutes, but as your main device?

It is a wonderful phone and will give you the best reading, video, browsing, and note taking experience you could possible get from a phone at this time --- but I use it on the go only.

Last edited by HansTWN; 03-10-2012 at 07:54 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #48
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:

Consider the Samsung Galaxy Player 5. It's currently $230 at Amazon and doesn't require a data plan.

And welcome to the board
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #49
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
You know, all that hardware crammed into the Galaxy Note isn't free and Samsung does need to turn a profit. If you just want a 5" Android device with Wi-Fi, they do have the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 (currently $235 from Amazon).
You're kidding. I thought all hardware was free inside of the device. Silly me.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #50
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
You're kidding. I thought all hardware was free inside of the device. Silly me.
You are being a little too sensitive here. The point was that the Galaxy Note, with its big AMOLED screen, with Wacom Pen (including special software), and high resolution is priced very reasonably. Without contract it costs no more than other top-of-the-line phones.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #51
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
You are being a little too sensitive here. The point was that the Galaxy Note, with its big AMOLED screen, with Wacom Pen (including special software), and high resolution is priced very reasonably. Without contract it costs no more than other top-of-the-line phones.
Over $600 from what I see on a simple search on google. Does not seem reasonable. Just seems a little much for me. Still...I think it's an awesome little device from what I've read & seen.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #52
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
Over $600 from what I see on a simple search on google. Does not seem reasonable. Just seems a little much for me. Still...I think it's an awesome little device from what I've read & seen.
So? The iPhone 4S 16GB is $649 off-contract. In other countries, the 4S is around $1,000 unlocked. On-contract pricing for the Galaxy Note is $299 with AT&T although I have no doubt we'll soon see it for much less with weekend sales and stuff. The Galaxy Nexus was over $700 when it was first released and the Galaxy S II was around $600. Pricing is just par for course. Folks in the US just tend to not realize it since most are on contract and only pay a small initial outlay with the rest of the phone cost "amortized" for 2 years through ridiculously expensive monthly cellphone bills.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #53
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unlocked phones are way overpriced.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #54
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Unlocked phones are way overpriced.
True but if you're near wi-fi all the time and only use a few minutes worth of calls per month, buying an unlocked smarphone is still a lot cheaper than getting one subsidized through contract.

AT&T Postpaid
iPhone 4S 16GB: $200 (one-time cost)
Voice Plan, 450mins: $40/mo
Data Plan: $20/mo
2-year cost: $1,640 (+ applicable taxes/fees)

AT&T Prepaid
iPhone 4S 16GB: $650 (one-time cost)
Voice Plan, Pay As You $0.10/min: minimum $100/yr
Data Plan: not required
2-year cost: $850 (+ applicable taxes/fees)
Old 03-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #55
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Verizon's cheapest data plan is $30/month x 2 years = $720
  • iPhone 4S - $650
  • Galaxy Player 4 - $180 ..... and we have a winner
Old 03-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #56
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Device: NOOKColor (sdCM7), Kindle 4
Quote:
...I want to use is as ebook reader. Is good enough for this task ? The display is big enough ?
As an ebook reader, I actually think that yes, the screen is big enough. I have no problems with backlit displays and briefly owned a Sony 350 which is only 5 inches and had no trouble with that screen size. However, the Note is kind of expensive and a bit of overkill to use solely as an ebook reader. Hmm...to each his/her own I guess.

Quote:
...if you're near wi-fi all the time and only use a few minutes worth of calls per month, buying an unlocked smarphone is still a lot cheaper than getting one subsidized through contract.
Some think that subsidizing cell phones hurts the industry by distorting the their true price: Link.

Also, T-mobile used to have two rate plans, the regular one with a subsidized phone and a cheaper one for non-subsidized phone. I wonder if they still do?
Eskarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #57
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskarina View Post
Some think that subsidizing cell phones hurts the industry by distorting the their true price: Link.
And I agree to an extent. I'm not saying companies shouldn't offer subsidized pricing for folks willing to sign lengthy contracts. Just saying the monthly rate plans shouldn't have phone subsidies built-in particularly when you're still using the same phone for 5 years. Another thing I've seen in other countries that I'd like implemented here is tiered subsidies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskarina View Post
Also, T-mobile used to have two rate plans, the regular one with a subsidized phone and a cheaper one for non-subsidized phone. I wonder if they still do?
They still do. I think they used to be called Flex Plans but not they've switched the name to Value Plan. I think the monthly rates are like half the price of the Classic Plans with subsidized phones. I'd totally switch to a T-Mobile Value Plan but I don't get T-Mobile signal in the office.