Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #31
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
I can't wait until Sunday when I can pre-order this. It sounds like a great device. I just hope the data plan doesn't take me to the poor house.
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:24 AM   #32
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
I can't wait until Sunday when I can pre-order this. It sounds like a great device. I just hope the data plan doesn't take me to the poor house.
Me too. Both those things!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #33
Guadalupe83
Guadalupe83 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am using this device for almost a month and all the other smartphones seem to me like toys. Their screens are way too small for me, that is for sure! I love this android gadget and I hope I will be using it for a long long time!

Old 02-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #34
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
I've recently acquired a Galaxy Note, even though I already have a Kindle.

While Kindle is good enough for reading most stuff, it simply cannot be considered a mature reader if one needs to read some serious academic stuff. Page layout in .mobi files is quite simple and cannot really represent many books which rely heavily on tables, footnotes, in-text frames etc. That's why so many textbooks and academic books are published as PDFs. Kindle can display PDFs, but its screen size makes most of them unreadable (characters are really tiny or just "greek").

I expected Galaxy Note to be able to display such stuff much better than my Kindle and so far I can say I am not disappointed in the least. PDF support is truly great. I have already installed three different PDF readers (in addition to Polaris Office, which was preinstalled) and all of them are way better than Kindle.

Polaris built-in reader is rather basic and page navigation is non-existent (you can't easily jump to some place, you must scroll through the text).

ezPDF reader is quite feature-rich and does a great job at displaying various documents. It is not the fastest reader, but is fast enough. It can also reflow a PDF. It is a paid app, but well-worth the money.

Smart Devices Reader (free from Samsung Apps) is blazing fast. It has also good annotation options, comparable to ezPDF. Overall, if one doesn't need some pro features (form filling etc.) this would be good enough for all PDF reading.

iAnnotate is an evolving application. So far it is not as complete as ezPDF or SDReader, but it looks promising.

All of these allow pinch-to-zoom, but even without zooming the text is quite readable for most PDFs. I was amazed when I saw the difference between our National Statistics Yearly displayed on Kindle (7 inch!) and Note. On Kindle it is barely readable, and not navigable at all. On Note it looks perfect, despite significantly smaller screen (5.3") and navigation is as easy as can be.

Obviously, Note is not just a PDF reader. It came preinstalled with Samsung's reader's hub, which gives access to Kobo's library and also with an app for one of our local e-bookshops (Nexto.pl). I was surprised to see that books I had acquired at Nexto got automatically downloaded to my mobile device. That was clever and quite Kindle-like!

One area where Note doesn't compare well with Kindle is battery life, but that should be obvious. You either go for an e-ink screen, which is extremely battery friendly or for a beautiful color AMOLED screen, which is quite a battery eater. But with reasonable use the Note can survive the whole day without recharging.
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #35
sjfwhite
Enthusiast
sjfwhite began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Apple iPad Mini 2
I got mine today. This is my first Android device (I am not counting my Kobo Vox - I have ignored it and given it to my daughter) and replaces my iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. I had a great system going with my ios devices using Dropbox for my ebook collection and getting the books into whatever IOS app I wanted from there (Kindle for mobi and iBooks for epub). I have not figured out how to manage this with the Note. I downloaded the Kobo app from the market place hoping I could side load epubs into there from dropbox but no luck - dropbox tells me there is no app for epubs.

How are folks managing to get their books onto their devices and what are your favourite reader apps for the note that support epub? Thanks!
sjfwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #36
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Kobo seems to be able to import the epubs that you have on your device. So you need to put them in a folder either on the internal memory or external SD card (by connecting your Note to PC or transferring files to SD card via a card reader).

But there are also several other readers, mentioned in other threads in this forum, like Moon+, Mantano Reader, Cool Reader. I have tried myself the Moon+ and it's adequate. I haven't, however, checked it with DRM-ed files, just the ones that were DRM-free.
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #37
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfwhite View Post
I got mine today. This is my first Android device (I am not counting my Kobo Vox - I have ignored it and given it to my daughter) and replaces my iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. I had a great system going with my ios devices using Dropbox for my ebook collection and getting the books into whatever IOS app I wanted from there (Kindle for mobi and iBooks for epub). I have not figured out how to manage this with the Note. I downloaded the Kobo app from the market place hoping I could side load epubs into there from dropbox but no luck - dropbox tells me there is no app for epubs.

How are folks managing to get their books onto their devices and what are your favourite reader apps for the note that support epub? Thanks!
The two "best in class apps" for ePUB are Moon+ and Montano. And I believe both apps are associated with ePUB, so dropbox will launch either app when an ePUB is downloaded... For sure I know Moon+ does.

I use dropbox and a third party app called dropsync to synchronize my folders. The sync happens in the background so I don't have to download my book, it's already on my device. So I don't download from dropbox I just open the apps and they're there.

With android you also have a little more freedom you can connect your Android device to the PC, on your Android device you can navigate the file system and just drop the files into place.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #38
sjfwhite
Enthusiast
sjfwhite began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Apple iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
The two "best in class apps" for ePUB are Moon+ and Montano. And I believe both apps are associated with ePUB, so dropbox will launch either app when an ePUB is downloaded... For sure I know Moon+ does.

I use dropbox and a third party app called dropsync to synchronize my folders. The sync happens in the background so I don't have to download my book, it's already on my device. So I don't download from dropbox I just open the apps and they're there.

With android you also have a little more freedom you can connect your Android device to the PC, on your Android device you can navigate the file system and just drop the files into place.

=X=
Thanks - I was being an idiot. Before I read this I downloaded FBReader and Aldiko and both of them associated themselves with epub. I also realized that the reason Kobo wasn't importing books was because I had device mounted on the computer and the microsd wasn't accessible while this is occurring. D'oh.

I will give the apps you suggested a try. Thanks again!
sjfwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #39
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
The two "best in class apps" for ePUB are Moon+ and Montano.
Correction, I believe it's Mantano not Montano. Excellent app - worth every penny. Mantano's library organization is the best I've used in a mobile app - essential when you've got a large library. The only ebook program that beats it when it comes to organization is Calibre (by kovid).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #40
manush
manush plays well with othersmanush plays well with othersmanush plays well with othersmanush plays well with othersmanush plays well with othersmanush plays well with othersmanush plays well with othersmanush plays well with othersmanush plays well with othersmanush plays well with othersmanush plays well with others

Device: nook color
I know I'm a little late here to the party, but I just googled galaxy note reading a book and here I am. Anyways dropbox can export files to folders on your phone. If you navigate to an epub file in dropbox and hit export you can save it to your sd card in your phone and then you can choose which folder to save it to. On my phone(android) I click export and save the file to my documents in my nook app.

Last edited by manush; 03-07-2012 at 09:33 PM.
manush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #41
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Welcome, Manush!

Thanks for the info! Good to have you here on MobileRead.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #42
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Device: NOOKColor (sdCM7), Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfwhite View Post

I second what others have said about Mantano. It is a fantastic epub reader.

As for downloading from dropbox, there's an app called ES File Explorer which can be integrated with your dropbox account. Just enter your dropbox username and password and you can use the "copy to" function to download your epubs/pictures/music etc into the appropriate folders on your device. No need for the dropbox app. And even better is that unlike the dropbox app, it can also download multiple files and entire folders.
Eskarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #43
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
This looks like an awesome device, but it's grossly expensive. I don't even see just a wifi version only. I wouldn't need the phone capabilities so all of that can be taken out. Sell me a wifi only for $199. I'd buy it today. Samsung missed the mark....again.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #44
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
This looks like an awesome device, but it's grossly expensive. I don't even see just a wifi version only. I wouldn't need the phone capabilities so all of that can be taken out. Sell me a wifi only for $199. I'd buy it today. Samsung missed the mark....again.
You know, all that hardware crammed into the Galaxy Note isn't free and Samsung does need to turn a profit. If you just want a 5" Android device with Wi-Fi, they do have the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 (currently $235 from Amazon).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #45
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Device: NOOKColor (sdCM7), Kindle 4
Lisa from mobiletechreview loves the note. In case no one's posted it yet, here's her review. And youtube video of AT&T's version.

I've seen the note out in the wild three times this past week and boy that sucker is huge. However, I like that Samsung is bringing back the stylus so I hope it succeeds.

Last edited by Eskarina; 03-10-2012 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Added youtube video
Eskarina is offline   Reply With Quote