Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
happysnapper22
Connoisseur
happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
Sony Library Software

Hi Folks

Trying to sort my wifes Christmas presie...

brand new PRS 600, fresh install of the Sony software downloaded from the sony site. also installed the adobe app (2 apps to get a single hardware device to work!!) again fresh download from the adobe site. chacked both for updates - both reporting as current versions. adobe thing has authenticated the software against adobe account.

Win 7 64 bit fully patched.

the sony library stars as soon as the 600 is plugged in and just sits there syncing (or not) for ever and does nothing....

The adobe app seems to have done slightly better...loads of duplacates but deleted those and it seems ok (for now).

the sony software seems to be generally regarged as useless - should i ditch this completely? why do i seem to need 2 apps to drive this device??/

any advice welcome, its not even my reader (thank god i hate the thing already) i just gotta get the thing to talk to the PC.
happysnapper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Will you be buying from the sony store? If not you probably won't need the sony software. On the other hand, the updated sony software is able to handle epub files, so you might not need the ADE software if you're going to use the sony one.
I never use the sony software, just digital editions for buying epubs, and calibre for everything else.
I hope your wife enjoys her new toy!
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
happysnapper22
Connoisseur
happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
Many thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Will you be buying from the sony store? If not you probably won't need the sony software. On the other hand, the updated sony software is able to handle epub files, so you might not need the ADE software if you're going to use the sony one.
I never use the sony software, just digital editions for buying epubs, and calibre for everything else.
I hope your wife enjoys her new toy!
OMK3
Many thanks for this, after experiences so far I somehow dont think I will be buying anything off the Sony store or any Sony product ever again. I do hope my wife likes the reader, she is an avid reader. I am just 'tech support' and so far both the device and the software is just a pain in the...

Will take a look at 'Calibre' Many
happysnapper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Calibre is a great program, and your thank you should go to kovid, it's creator
I know the sony software is annoying at best, but the device itself I find very good.
Let us know what your wife thinks!
Good luck!
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
tbov
tbov began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
I also got tired of the sony software after the update 12/10. When I tried to check out a library book, I got the message that Reader Library had stopped working, so I went back to the older library version, although I can no longer buy things, I don't miss it. I check out library books using adobe digital and then just use the old library software to transfer over to the sony. I also downloaded calibre and I love it! There are so many sites to buy books from and I use calibre to send them to the sony reader. Just to name a few--kobo, books on board, fictionwise, feedbooks, diesel ebooks--and calibre is so easy to use. Believe me, I am not computer savy at all. If you have questions, the folks on mobileread are a really big help.
tbov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Winter57
Winter57 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Install issues with eBook Library 3.1 on Win 7

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium and have the Sony eBook Library v3.0 installed and running. I never actually use it as I much prefer Calibre. However, I downloaded Sony's update 3.1 but it will not install!--it goes through all the preliminary screens up to the final "Install" button (after choosing country--does this matter?) but then just hangs and doesn't appear to start or ever complete the installation.

Their PRS-505 is absolutely great and I can't fault it. Only their eBook Library software is bad. Checking most of the posts on this subject hasn't helped the install issue.
Winter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Setting Reader Library.exe as a DEP exception and allowing it through your firewall has helped others running Vista, I'm not sure if it will help you running Windows 7.

Sony changed the name of the executable from this:

C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\eBook Library.exe

to this:

C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\Reader Library.exe
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:19 AM   #8
Winter57
Winter57 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
As I explained, my problem is that the 3.1 update version just will not install--it just hangs there spinning the little circle in the "install" screen that follows the "accept license" screen. The previous version 3.0 installed without a problem on the same Win 7 OS (running it as Administrator, though).
Winter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:23 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Setting Reader Library.exe as a DEP exception and allowing it through your firewall has helped others running Vista, I'm not sure if it will help you running Windows 7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter57 View Post
As I explained, my problem is that the 3.1 update version just will not install--it just hangs there spinning the little circle in the "install" screen that follows the "accept license" screen. The previous version 3.0 installed without a problem on the same Win 7 OS (running it as Administrator, though).
Did you even try the possible solution presented????
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote