Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-23-2010, 06:20 AM   #16
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
It's read an ebook in that one week, not limit yourself to one for the rest of the year. You just have to find one that will last you the whole week.

Atlas Shrugged is now available as a legit ebook.
Now we're just getting into the realms of masochism...
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #17
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
I hate e-ink screens. The big selling point is that they work great in direct light but I read in the office and in bed, neither of which are that well lit. I just wonder if this is supposed to be a pro-e-ink contest.
In this case, yes: The prize is being supplied by E Ink. But the second contest is more agnostic. Hey, if you won the E Ink watch, you could always give it as a gift!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I did note something.. I thought this site was MobileRead (mobileread) but saw it listed as Mobile Reads?
Oh No She Di'n't! I'll flag Rita to get that fixed.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #18
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
I agree with this. Although I personally wouldn't spit on a non-e-Ink reader if it were on fire, I can see that many people are partial to their LCD screens.
Many people enjoy reading on their iPhones, etc.
Otherwise it's a great idea. I'll try to contribute. Let's try to get the industry to sponsor with some freebies, eh?
REBW isn't just about E Ink devices, but hey, they do happen to be very, very prevalent in the industry... and two E Ink companies are major supporters of the site. Rita's always looking for more supporters and supporting organizations, so if you can influence some of the new display companies, e-book publishers or hardware/software producers to join in, that's great!

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 01-23-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #19
Domokos
Rita Y. Toews
Domokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it is

Device: Sony and Hiebook
E-Book Week

Hi All! Thanks for the heads-up on the typo for MobileRead. If anyone finds any other problems please let me know. An author can't proof their own work because the eye sees what the brain says should be there.

A little background on Read an E-Book might be helpful to the conversation. Read an E-Book Week is an event to educate the public about electronic reading and to promote the individuals and entities involved in all aspects of the experience - from the authors who create the books to the technology in the e-readers. I started it about oh... six or seven years ago to help e-authors band together at the same time and really publicize their work. It gave them legitimacy to get interviews in newspapers and on tv during that "official" week . And it worked.

Preparation takes about a month and a half of my (and Steve's) donated time.

For the week to be successful it requires input from all areas of the industry. I spend a lot of time contacting people - authors, publishers, e-book vendors, University libraries, e-reader manufacturers, technology providers, etc. Other than from authors - I probably have a 1% success rate in replies. That may be because a general enquiry email goes to an information centre and never reaches the person who would reply if they received it.

I would love to hear back from: Apple, Readius, Blackberry, Google, Kindle, Nook, Cybook, BeBook...the list goes on. Anyone have a direct contact that I can follow up with? Sony has been great! So has E Ink. I would like to make the site as diversified as possible. Foxit is contemplating joining this year.

I'll tell you what - if you have a negative comment about the e-ink screen - send it along to me in a well-written manner and I'll pass it to E Ink. As with any manufacturer, they are always working to make their product better. They are working hard for color screens that give vibrant color but don't eat up battery life. Backlighting really limits battery life. I enjoy reading in bed and had a Hie Book. I now use a book light and enjoy my night reading.

I've actually been scrolling through the forum for a good writer to give me an article on the benefits and drawbacks of backlighting. I asked one, but was regretfully declined for perfectly good reasons.

If anyone has any other suggestions to improve Read an E-Book Week please contact me. I'm always open to suggestions, to writers with good articles, etc.

Oh, and if anyone wants to make a donation to the week I'm open to that, too. I have two watches that will have to be mailed out and the winners may be in Outer Slobovia!

Rita
founder - Read an E-Book Week

Last edited by Domokos; 01-23-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Domokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #20
4-eyes
Enthusiast
4-eyes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-300
Do all the people that profess to hate e-Ink screens also hate paper books?
4-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #21
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-eyes View Post
Nope. Well, I don't care for the worst of the worst paper books I could find...but those are fairly few, and their quality still exceeds E-Ink's by a considerable margin.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:09 AM   #22
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Nope. Well, I don't care for the worst of the worst paper books I could find...but those are fairly few, and their quality still exceeds E-Ink's by a considerable margin.
I do not understand these endless pointless arguments on e-Ink vs LCD.
Seriously, how do you quantify "qulity exceeds e-Ink"? What's your frame of reference other than your personal preference?
The only measurement I can see here is how much you dislike one type of screen as compared to another (dully noted).
This sort of arguments should definitely be discussed in the lounge.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:00 AM   #23
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I love my e-ink screen in daylight... I love the nicely formatted books... When reading in the dark, I prefer my backlit display of my Palm... I don't really think you can compare to two, you can only compare the preferences.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:56 AM   #24
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
I do not understand these endless pointless arguments on e-Ink vs LCD.
Seriously, how do you quantify "qulity exceeds e-Ink"? What's your frame of reference other than your personal preference?
The only measurement I can see here is how much you dislike one type of screen as compared to another (dully noted).
This sort of arguments should definitely be discussed in the lounge.
I said nothing about LCD. The question I replied to was:
Quote:
I even quoted it in my post. Please do yourself a favor and read what you are replying to from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I love my e-ink screen in daylight... I love the nicely formatted books... When reading in the dark, I prefer my backlit display of my Palm... I don't really think you can compare to two, you can only compare the preferences.
I don't mean to be rude, but where have you found nicely formatted ebooks?
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
I'd love to help, but reading a ebook in a week seems a bit rushed
The eBook I just finished was read in less than a week.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #26
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Well, what are you waiting for? Read another! Then... and this is most important... get someone who doesn't read e-books to read one. That's the point of this thread (not, if it must be said, debating E Ink vs LCD technology).

(But the jokes are okay.)

In the interest of full disclosure, let me state unequivocally that in all the years of self-publishing, and the hundreds (well, certainly more than a hundred) of e-books I have sold, I have only had one complaint about my book formatting*.

*Some file corruptions are caused by computer storage glitches, program processing errors, or interruptions to the normal transmission process through e-mail, and are not necessarily the fault of the publisher...
Old 01-24-2010, 10:59 PM   #27
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

2010 ad banners are ready.

FYI: The Read an E-Book site now has ad banners for 2010, free to download and display. If you have a website, or know someone who does, why not suggest they pick up one of these banners, display them proudly, and link them back to www.ebookweek.com.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #28
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

It's here!

(If you follow GMT, that is.)

Read an E-Book Week has officially begun for 2010! Check out the site for resources and freebies, find some great reading, and have a good time!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #29
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hi Steve: I swapped emails with Rita yesterday and only then realised how involved you are with the event. It looks as though it will be more popular than ever this year.

My own wee house always joins in with freebies, promotion and what have you, but our website's down for major reconstruction this week. Good timing, eh?

Never fear ... we have many titles running with Mark at Smashwords, so we've been able to join in to some extent (see below)

Good luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010, e-book, read an e-book week