Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #16
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
So, Steve..Are you in or out? Doug is stepping up to the plate and I'm holding MoeJoe to his trilogy in a month

Jeff - if you're still around why don't you kick in too? Aand..Shawn (If he even still browses)

Come on. Let's have a heavyweight competition

I think if we can get the "pros" to write with the "non pros" during Nano, it may be a pleasant surprise. And a little bit of fun.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #17
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
and I say again: !!

I am thinking of trying this NaNoWriMo thing--been reading about it and jotting ideas for a few days now. My mother (bless her little soul) sent me an article about it saying "wouldn't this be fun??!!" I immediately wrote back telling her, with very specific excuses, "No way!" (Lol!! Here I am worrying about punctuation in this post--what makes me think I . . . nevermind . . . )

It stuck. The thought stuck. The gosh-darned thing crept into my brain and latched on.

I will be attempting to write 50,000 words in something vaguely resembling novel form during the month of November.

Fi

P.S. I have approximately 3 billion books on how to write, several binders with notes and handy labels (characters, places, research) untouched for years, a dusty degree in Literature and nothing to show for my ambitions except a few pieces written under classroom deadlines.

P.P.S. My husband keeps reminding me that Raymond Chandler didn't start writing until he was in his mid-fifties.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:47 PM   #18
wyldkit
Connoisseur
wyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500 (until I have enough Sony Rewards points for the PRS-300)
I'm in. I have a couple of friends who have done this in recent years, and I thought they were crazy.

I think I can handle the writing; it's the story ideas that always fail me.
wyldkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:56 PM   #19
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wydkat and Fi,

Congrats on your decision to participate. It's really one of those things that you just kind of have to do. You need to silence your inner editor and tell them to go away on vacation for a month. :-)

Once you can get over the fear you'll be okay.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #20
wyldkit
Connoisseur
wyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500 (until I have enough Sony Rewards points for the PRS-300)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Wydkat and Fi,

Congrats on your decision to participate. It's really one of those things that you just kind of have to do. You need to silence your inner editor and tell them to go away on vacation for a month. :-)

Thanks! My inner editor tends to work overtime, so perhaps she'll be grateful for the vacation.
wyldkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:52 PM   #21
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
As a NaNoWriMo Winner in 2007, I can tell you that you NEED to do this at least once (and then, as they say on the bottle, Rinse, Lather, and Repeat).

If you've opened this thread and read about NaNoWriMo, that means something in you wants...no NEEDS to write during this year's event.

Its free and no one will pressure you to do anything you don't want to do, but you will find a ton of support and the deadline lends some urgency to drafting that idea you've been harboring for years.

Go download yWriter5 (free) from Simon Hayne's site and spend October outlining your Great American Novel (or insert your country/state/city). Outlining is acceptable, but no writing before midnight 31 October (what else were you going to do on that Halloween candy sugar rush anyway?). It only takes 1667 words a day to meet the NaNoWriMo goal of 50,000 during the month of November.

I promise it will teach you something about yourself. It will give you a new appreciation for the craft, talent, and raw determination professional novelists must deliver to create the marvelous novels we all enjoy. It may show you that you have a need and hunger to spend more time writing. It may point out that you need to let go of editing more often and spend much more time being creative without having to constantly edit.

So go to NaNoWriMo right now and write now!

(Hmmm...this entry is about 250 words, or about one-sixth of my daily allotment. I wonder if I can recall what I wrote here and work it into my storyline?)

Last edited by pking36330; 10-22-2009 at 10:56 PM.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #22
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 06:49 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #23
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
But once November hits I'm going to block out a proper plot. Tried writing without one last year and it was dire...
You know the 'rules' let you work the plot and outline now, right? Just can't write any content that will be included in the word count.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:25 PM   #24
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur
AgentBEATS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nintendo DS, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Wydkat and Fi,

I've always had a problem with this. I can never stopping from editing my work, even while writing it. Although this has never hindered my writing process, at least from my point of view. I guess it could slow it down a bit, but I've also never had a problem with writing, at least once I start writing.

I also can't help thinking that when I edit my work during writing, I get some of my best ideas out of it. This has always stopped me from being able to "silence [my] inner editor."

Anyways, the closer it gets the more worried I get, but I think I'll just have fun with it. Finally get to write something for fun rather than the many essays for class I've been writing lately.
AgentBEATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:54 PM   #25
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Thanks everybody! Nice to know we are not alone. I am feeling less anxious about participating in nanowrimo, and more anxious to get going!!

I came up with something (more than an idea, less than an outline) I think I will have fun with, hope you all can say the same.

Dadio, get that outline going!! As pking says, putting the plot on paper in advance is encouraged!! Besides, it sounds like a good one!! :P

Good luck everyone, see you on the boards (both here and there)!

Cheers!
Fi
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:51 PM   #26
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
Ok, I have a real question.

I have ideas that have been fermenting for years. Slightly more than general ideas, for a few stories, but I'm an IT guy. No formal training in writing. I write, read and fix code in short concise lines for machines to decipher. Not longer form for the relaxation of the others.

I love a good story, Steven Erikson has me completely consumed at the moment, but know the grammar issues would be monumental in anything done by someone (me) with no training.

I figure something that recreates the time-crunch/deadlines I work with might be the way for me to finally put at least one of these ideas down somewhere. Would this even be worth the try for someone with absolutely no formal training, or would this just be an exorcise in frustration and humiliation? Honestly.
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:19 AM   #27
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmon65 View Post
Ok, I have a real question.

I have ideas that have been fermenting for years. Slightly more than general ideas, for a few stories, but I'm an IT guy. No formal training in writing. I write, read and fix code in short concise lines for machines to decipher. Not longer form for the relaxation of the others.

I love a good story, Steven Erikson has me completely consumed at the moment, but know the grammar issues would be monumental in anything done by someone (me) with no training.

I figure something that recreates the time-crunch/deadlines I work with might be the way for me to finally put at least one of these ideas down somewhere. Would this even be worth the try for someone with absolutely no formal training, or would this just be an exorcise in frustration and humiliation? Honestly.
Umm...dmon65, are you...are you...me?

I have signed up for NaNoWriMo this year...I don't know if I'll complete it. I know the sense of wanting to write, and not doing it because I want everything to be perfect, is stopping me from even starting. I also know that NaNoWriMo's approach of "Just write. You don't have to publish. You don't have to show anyone. It doesn't matter if it's complete crap. JUST WRITE! Get something on "paper"!" means that I can just do it, with the only pressure being the number of words every day.

I know I am going to write crap. There's even a chance I'll bury the result so deep, technically and mentally, that you won't be able to find it with a sophisticated turd-detector or a turn-it-up-to-11-MRI. I'm okay with that. I've lost nothing by trying, and gained a lot by it - broken through that first, real writer's block that stops you even starting.

I'm a 39yo, ex-IT, never-written-anything-before absurdist with delusions that he wants to be a writer when he grows up. I'll admire you for starting, if you admire me for it. That'll surely poke any self-humiliation in the eye with a sharp pen (well, okay, sharpened-edge-of-keyboard). Let's not write the next great novel. Let's try write our own firsts, and be happy that we'd tried (and maybe even completed!).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:54 AM   #28
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
W000t!!! Marc & dmon, go for it! Just sitting down and writing is the first step to working out whether you really want to do it fulltime - and it's the first step every writer HAS to take...

Wanna see my first 'sit down and write' attempt? I groaned when I dug it up, which hopefully means I've improved http://whatbunintheoven.blogspot.com/ (read from the bottom up)

Producing crud at first doesn't mean you'll always produce crud... takes work for most people to learn to express themselves via writing.

Good luck!
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:20 AM   #29
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
(doggie tries hard to quietly sit in the corner and keep his furiously wagging tail from distracting the participants)
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:03 PM   #30
jaxx6166
Wizard

There you go! Cheers to everyone!! The deadline's getting close. Are your plots ready? :-)
Dmon and Monts:

I know you can do it! I'll give you karma cookies if you do.