Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you think of this/these proposal(s)?
Excellent proposition 2 4.76%
Completely insane 30 71.43%
Somewhere inbetween 5 11.90%
Spartacus! (comedy option) 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2008, 10:51 PM   #106
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I take a different view because I see it as an invasion of privacy (and just plain rude!).
I'm sorry... WHAT DID YOU SAY?!? "Invasion of *PRIVACY*"??? How!?!

Is not the house visible to all and sundry who pass by? By your logic each and every person who glimpses it in passing is "invading your privacy". What pure BUNKUM! Now if "Joe" trespassed onto the property to take the picture or entered the house, or snapped personal images of the owners through the windows - *THAT* could be called invasion of privacy. But not taking an image while on public property.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:57 PM   #107
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
But Joe just made a copy, albeit in a different medium, of my IP. So based on your (aptly legal opinion) I should therefore logically be able to make a copy of a pbook in an electronic medium and even sell it for profit as Joe sold his picture. (Of course I admit that logic and legality don't necessarily have any thing in common and legality often defies logic.)

Bull-patties!!! Joe made an artistic expression of his experience (and state of mind) by taking/making the image. It in no way copies the house. Thus, you're wrong. And, in the case of a book, it's not wrong for Joe to take pictures of the pages of a book.

What he *cannot* do, is sell the complete set of those pictures as a set. He *could* however, sell photos of one or two pages if they are used to express his contempt or ecstacy over what's contained in those several pages.

Derek
Advert
Old 07-13-2008, 03:42 AM   #108
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I'm sorry... WHAT DID YOU SAY?!? "Invasion of *PRIVACY*"??? How!?!
Is not the house visible to all and sundry who pass by? By your logic each and every person who glimpses it in passing is "invading your privacy". What pure BUNKUM!
Not so imho, imagine you're sunbathing on the beach. Someone walks past, they happen to catch a gimpse of you. Someone else walks past, stops and starts taking snapshots.

I wouldn't object to the former, but I would find the activities of the latter an invasion of my privacy. But your logic sees no distinction.

To me, the intentions of the photographer and the casual passer-by are clearly different. One is making a permanent record for uncontrolled distribution, and the other isn't - a significant difference in my opinion; ymmv.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:24 AM   #109
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
(Opens door. Sticks head back in. Shakes same.)

"Ah, the predictable next level of these discussions: The dreaded 'hypothetical example' that has little to do with the topic, but provides pages of pointless bickering over semantics, abstracts, and more hypotheticals, and never solving a thing. Feet: Do your duty!"

(Slam!)

"Ow!" (Door hit where dog should have bit, on way out.)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #110
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'm not sure you can publish a picture of a private residence without obtaining a release from the owner. (I wouldn't try it.) And I could see that varying from one jurisdiction to another.

Regarding the legal situation wrt HarryT's avatar, that wasn't settled (even though HarryT and the copyright holders of the character, model, and photograph respectively were all in the same legal jurisdiction). We didn't even get consensus on the moral question. The closest we came was agreeing that the copyright holder of the Dalek image was unlikely to come after HarryT for the usage.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2008, 12:24 PM   #111
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Not so imho, imagine you're sunbathing on the beach. Someone walks past, they happen to catch a gimpse of you. Someone else walks past, stops and starts taking snapshots.

I wouldn't object to the former, but I would find the activities of the latter an invasion of my privacy. But your logic sees no distinction.

To me, the intentions of the photographer and the casual passer-by are clearly different. One is making a permanent record for uncontrolled distribution, and the other isn't - a significant difference in my opinion; ymmv.

Nope. If you don't want to be photographed whilst sunbathing at the beach - don't go to the beach. IOW, if you're in a public place, do NOT expect to have the right to privacy of your image.

Now this doesn't mean the person taking the photograph can use your image to *sell* something, but they sure the heck can use it to illustrate an article.

If you can't handle that, don't step outside your home.

Derek
Old 07-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #112
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I'm not sure you can publish a picture of a private residence without obtaining a release from the owner. (I wouldn't try it.) And I could see that varying from one jurisdiction to another.

Regarding the legal situation wrt HarryT's avatar, that wasn't settled (even though HarryT and the copyright holders of the character, model, and photograph respectively were all in the same legal jurisdiction). We didn't even get consensus on the moral question. The closest we came was agreeing that the copyright holder of the Dalek image was unlikely to come after HarryT for the usage.
If you can make the image without trespassing on the homeowner's property, you have the right to take the image - and use it for "editorial" or "artistic" purposes. Using it for "advertising" purposes requires the homeowner's permission.

Derek
Old 07-13-2008, 12:28 PM   #113
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you can make the image without trespassing on the homeowner's property, you have the right to take the image - and use it for "editorial" or "artistic" purposes. Using it for "advertising" purposes requires the homeowner's permission.
Ok, but does this vary based on jurisdiction?
Old 07-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #114
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

I disagree with your logic. If you are sunbathing on a beach you have given up the right to privacy as far as seeing you sunbathing on a beach.

You have a reasonable right to privacy in this case. Now, if someone came by and pants you then took a picture, I think you would have a case against them.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #115
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You have a reasonable right to privacy in this case. Now, if someone came by and pants you then took a picture, I think you would have a case against them.
"pants"? "paints"? (Not sure why it would matter if someone were painting you, I was just confused....)

It might be different if the subject of the photo is a minor child. We are always careful to get releases if we take photos of the kids at the Chinese School I'm involved with.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:35 PM   #116
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
"pants"? "paints"? (Not sure why it would matter if someone were painting you, I was just confused....)

Ok, "pants" comes from school days. It where someone would grab the waist of your pants and quickly yank them down to your ankles.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:37 PM   #117
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Ok, but does this vary based on jurisdiction?

Of course it does. In Saddam Hussein's Baghdad, it was a given that the photographer had "rights" - as long as the photog was doing Saddam's bidding. In post-SH Baghdad, the photog is dead meat unless surrounded by Coalition forces.

Derek
Old 07-13-2008, 02:32 PM   #118
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Nope. If you don't want to be photographed whilst sunbathing at the beach - don't go to the beach. IOW, if you're in a public place, do NOT expect to have the right to privacy of your image.

Now this doesn't mean the person taking the photograph can use your image to *sell* something, but they sure the heck can use it to illustrate an article.

If you can't handle that, don't step outside your home.

Derek
So following this logic, if a book is in a public place, e.g. a public library, no privacy by the author should be expected and I could take all the pictures I wanted & sell them as I wanted because they (the pictures) would be an expression of my artistic talents.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:53 PM   #119
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
So following this logic, if a book is in a public place, e.g. a public library, no privacy by the author should be expected and I could take all the pictures I wanted & sell them as I wanted because they (the pictures) would be an expression of my artistic talents.
Sure. As individual pictures in an artistic or editorial context. But *NOT* as a book. (No, just taking a photo of each page and then "creating" a photo-essay book that is nothing more than the original book does *NOT* qualify.)

Derek
Old 07-13-2008, 03:04 PM   #120
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I think we're muddling up the legal situation and the moral situation .

Something may be ok legally; but not ok morally - that depends on your own code of ethics.
Each individual will have their own view - all equally valid (imho).
If an act is immoral to someone, then it is immoral to them - it's acceptability to others is irrelevant.
But, 'immoral acts' are not necessarily worth getting worked up about, most of us do 'immoral' things on a regular basis .
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
copyright, law, privacy