Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-20-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
25% off at Fictionwise

Tipb.com has a 25% off coupon code.

Use code: theiphoneblog25
Expires: 1 March 2010

Enjoy!
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Thank you!
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
avreader64
avreader64 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505
Thank you so much!
avreader64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Thanks, Crusader! I used the code today on a novel in my wish list.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Tipb.com has a 25% off coupon code.

Use code: theiphoneblog25
Expires: 1 March 2010

Enjoy!
Thanks you for the code. But I reject it! No more ebook buys for me! Not for another three months or so!

Why? Well, 34 books read this year so far, and still by "To Be Read" folder has 386 books in it... even if a few of those are books I have read (& so are on my list by mistake), I still can't go on a buying spree if I'm going to get it down to 200 by the end of the year.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Thanks, Crusader!
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I bought two books and am having trouble downloading them. They are epub and the Sony library is saying 'error -1145' I am nervous about installing ADE because I had it before and it messed up my computer. Kobo and library books are no problem so I am not sure why epubs from FW are causing this error and now I am annoyed because I can't open the books
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I bought two books and am having trouble downloading them. They are epub and the Sony library is saying 'error -1145' I am nervous about installing ADE because I had it before and it messed up my computer. Kobo and library books are no problem so I am not sure why epubs from FW are causing this error and now I am annoyed because I can't open the books
You will have to use ADE to download your ebooks. People were having similar problems trying to download the Random House Australia free ebook with Sony Software and when they switched to ADE it worked fine.
It appears there may be something wrong with Sony's ACSM downloading.
More people seem to have trouble with Sony's software than with Adobe's Software but I know from previous experience that it is better to have installed and authorised ADE before you install Sony Software and authorise it.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #9
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
I think for Fictionwise epubs you have to install ADE. Fictionwise doesn't have the actual ebook, just an acsm pointer to the book on the Adobe server (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I have Ubuntu Linux on my main PC (there's no ADE for Linux), so I installed ADE on an old Windows XP machine and downloaded my Fictionwise epub purchases on that PC. Then, after a little magic courtesy of I Love Cabbages, I'm able to read the epub on my Linux machine or my BeBook.

Edit: Tech_Au beat me to it ... and explained it better.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, if I download ADE, will it mess up the Sony software so I can't download the Sony freebies and books from the library? That is my main concern...
Old 02-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
jagfan
jagfan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
If you download the the most recent Sony software, ADE is automatically included during the install.
jagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #12
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
So, if I download ADE, will it mess up the Sony software so I can't download the Sony freebies and books from the library? That is my main concern...
Other way around, actually - installing the Sony software messes up ADE and makes it difficult to get freebies from several sources (not to mention it steals file associations without even asking, amongst other bad behavior).

Install ADE and let it claim it's associations and all should be well. You pretty much have to have it for non-Sony ADE books.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Nope, it will not mess up Reader Library at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:14 PM   #14
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
As koland says, the best way if you are purchasing ebooks from places other than Sony store is to use the Sony software only for Sony purchases and freebies and allow ADE to download ebooks from all other places.
To restore the acsm file association back to ADE if the Sony software currently has it is to reinstate it to ADE using Windows Explorer or if you are using Firefox it should ask you what program you want to use when you click on the download link in the ebook store or just reinstall ADE and that should fix it.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #15
ficbot
Wizard

Thank you! After some initial difficulties downloading it, I was able to get the software working and open up the books. I then closed ADE, opened the Sony software and everything seemed fine. A happy ending! Too bad they make it so complicated. Thank goodness I can liberate everything and have it all in Calibre so I am not juggling six different programs to access my books...