Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
Nakedsense
Nakedsense began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Bought a used Kindle, turns out to be "lost or stolen"

Hello there,Bought a used Kindle 3 two days ago from the internet. It was shipped this morning and 2 hours ago I got home.
Went to amazon and tried to register it.
Unfortunately it said there was an error. I contacted the support and I was said that It was a "lost or stolen" unit.
I asked If there is a way to contact the real owner and help him recover his/her kindle. Unfortunately, for security issues, they were unable to contact the owner.
Sent a message to the seller but I think I am scammed.
So I got this Kindle. As there is no way to contact the owner of the unit and the seller probably wont fix the problem, Is there a way to use it with Amazon?
Nakedsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Well, I doubt that you're going to be able to find the original owner.

But, you can still sideload books onto it. Download the books from Amazon to your computer, then connect the Kindle via USB, and then drag the books from your PC to the Kindle's "documents" folder.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Well, I doubt that you're going to be able to find the original owner.

But, you can still sideload books onto it. Download the books from Amazon to your computer, then connect the Kindle via USB, and then drag the books from your PC to the Kindle's "documents" folder.
This will only work with non-DRM books. Any DRM books from Amazon can only be sideloaded to a registered Kindle.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
Nakedsense
Nakedsense began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Well, just contacted the seller. He said he wasn't aware that the unit was blacklisted. He will replace it next monday (mail services are not working here on sundays)
Nakedsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Very lucky and a surprisingly honest seller. Good luck.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Now that's a (hopefully) happy ending!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

I would make sure he ships the replacement and verify that it can be registered before returning that one, and I suggest you make him pay return shipping if he wants the stolen one returned. No need to get scammed twice.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's things like this that's the reason not to buy a used Kindle from other then Amazon. You just don't know if it will be able to be registered or not. And you could end up eating the cost for a Kindle that cannot be registered.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

You could get scammed on any item as eBay sellers sometimes ship items that are not from the photo in the listing. Sometimes they do this on purpose and sometimes out of ignorance. There are a lot of store fronts that are really nothing more than a person who goes around to garage sales and flea markets picking up items to resell at a profit. I would try to avoid those. I really think you are safer to buy from someone with a couple of hundred approvals and a rating of 100% positive than one of those store fronts with tens of thousands of approvals and a rating of 97% positive.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's things like this that's the reason not to buy a used Kindle from other then Amazon. You just don't know if it will be able to be registered or not. And you could end up eating the cost for a Kindle that cannot be registered.
You can always ask for the Serial Number before making payment. Then you can go online and see if the system will let you add it to your account. Go to "Manage Your Devices" and then select "Add a Kindle" enter the 16 digit serial number and see what happens

They could still ship you a different unit, but it eliminates cases like this were it appears the seller was unaware of the issue.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
Used Kindle from Amazon

I have seen that advice before, about only buying a used Kindle from Amazon, but I have never seen a used Kindle for sale by Amazon. I have seen used Kindles from the Amazon Marketplace, but according to what I was told, Amazon does not guarantee stuff from the marketplace, just things they sell themselves. Am I missing something here? I recently lost my Kindle 3 3g and have a very limited income, so if I could save on a used Kindle that was in great shape, I would be happy, but I don't want something that doesn't work.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The serial number is stored in the mmc, and can be rewritten. You can swap serial numbers with a broken kindle (that you own, if you know the serial number of the broken kindle, which is NOT the one printed on the back of a K3/K4/K5). With a broken screen, you can still read the serial number over the USB port (without hacking or jailbreaking it).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #13
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Some people will enter a note that contains their contact info. If you got one of those... If it hadn't been wiped...

Otherwise you'd probably have to be psychic.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
BlueSky77
BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3g, iPad 3, Nook Color w/cm7sd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post
I have seen that advice before, about only buying a used Kindle from Amazon, but I have never seen a used Kindle for sale by Amazon. I have seen used Kindles from the Amazon Marketplace, but according to what I was told, Amazon does not guarantee stuff from the marketplace, just things they sell themselves. Am I missing something here? I recently lost my Kindle 3 3g and have a very limited income, so if I could save on a used Kindle that was in great shape, I would be happy, but I don't want something that doesn't work.
Factory refurbished may be what most are speaking of when they say "buy a used Kindle from Amazon". Amazon does sell factory refurbished models with a warranty.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #15
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I find it rather strange that Amazon doesn't assist owners of lost Kindles? What are the "security issues" if someone returns a stolen Kindle to Amazon and Amazon then contacts the owner? After all, if the Kindle has been blacklisted, then Amazon knows the original owner. And they might even be able to help track down thieves and/or people frequently fencing the stolen Kindles on Ebay/Craig's list.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote