Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
bspline
Enthusiast
bspline began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Nokia E63, Kindle 2
Kindle and Geographical restrictions...

Hi everyone,

being from Brazil, I had to use the "gift card" loophole to be able to purchase content for my iPhone Kindle.
Today I tried to "purchase" some free books and couldn'd do so because of geographical restrictions. Anyone else having this kind of problem?
bspline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Which shop were you trying to use? Many free books available on Amazon are also available on other ebooks websites.
You can usually get them in PDF on suduvu : http://www.suvudu.com/freelibrary/
I have no problem either when "purchasing" free books from the Sony store.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
thianliongpatpoh
Zealot
thianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspline View Post
Hi everyone,

being from Brazil, I had to use the "gift card" loophole to be able to purchase content for my iPhone Kindle.
Today I tried to "purchase" some free books and couldn'd do so because of geographical restrictions. Anyone else having this kind of problem?
Sadly this happened to me too when I tried to get the Random House freebies of the month. I don't know whether this is amazon flagging ip similar to their digital music stores, or specific to the RH ebook geographical restrictions. I haven't top up my GC balance to check on other ebooks.
If this is amazon finally doing the geographical restrictions, then I think I have to say goodbye to kindle purchases

Ah, well, at least there's still other store(s)....

Update:
Managed to ge around this with Hotspot Shield.
1. Download Hotspot Shield, install and run it. It would automatically set some sort of US IP address for your connection. From this on, all outgoing connection will be seen from this IP.
2. To to amazon.com and sign in!
3. 1-click purchase.

I was able to download the purchased ebooks via normal 3G connection on my iPhone. I don't have to wifi my iPhone to the notebook running Hotspot Shield.

Last edited by thianliongpatpoh; 10-05-2009 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Update
thianliongpatpoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspline View Post
Hi everyone,

Go check out the Kindle forums - it seems Amazon has finally cracked down on how people got around the US-only purchase for the Kindle (which you can't really be surprised by -- Amazon was quite clear that the Kindle was only for US users).

You seem to be a different case entirely, and are only using the iPhone app. But people on the Kindle forums are very upset that they 'hacked' the system and managed to get a Kindle, and now can't purchase Amazon books. That's hardly something Amazon can be blamed for. And there are so many other sites out there that sell e-books, why limit yourself to Amazon?

If you find the right thread, someone posted their email address and is offering a work around that works for the time being.
EDIT: I found the thread again, here is what was written:
Quote:
If anyone wants to know what the work around is, email me at caroline at sympatico dot ca. Put "international kindler" or something like that on the subject line so I don't accidentally delete your email. I've been known to wholesale delete 20-30 at once.

Last edited by queentess; 10-04-2009 at 11:22 AM.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
bspline
Enthusiast
bspline began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Nokia E63, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Go check out the Kindle forums - it seems Amazon has finally cracked down on how people got around the US-only purchase for the Kindle (which you can't really be surprised by -- Amazon was quite clear that the Kindle was only for US users).
Actually I am not a different case, I am from outside the US, and was using a loophole, I am wrong and they are right, period. But I still am angry to be thrown out of the party.
I'll contact the person on the thread, and I hope I can at least spend the US$7 I still have as a gift card balance, that's still a book (or so) I can buy.
What still amazes me is how people still define arbitrary boundaries to internet content.
I'm trying to actually *pay* for content instead of lets say rapidsharing it, and some lawyer says because of some 40-year old treaty, I can't purchase (or rent, as it is) books from the US.
This is so myopic I almost hope publishing (along with music and video industry) dies a fiery death.
/rant off.
bspline is offline   Reply With Quote