Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-29-2008, 12:41 AM   #1
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
ABC Amber Free E-Book Converters Updated

The Process Text Group has updated a number of their free ABC Amber E-Book converters. Among them are:
  • Comic Book Converter (converts only to PDF, CHM, and HTML)
  • MS LIT Converter
  • Palm Converter (AKA PalmDoc, eReader)
  • Psion Converter
  • Sony Converter
Except for the new Comic Book Converter, all of the converters will extract the original (non DRM) file to DOC, RTF, PDF, LIT, RB, HTML, TXT, Palm, and several other formats. No additional software needs to be installed. (You do not need PDF creation software installed for example to create a PDF in any ABC Amber product.)

Among the improvements to the Sony Converter is support for true (or curly quotes) that prior versions translated as an underscore ("_"). There is still no support for graphics extraction from an LRF file. Italic and bold formatting is not preserved in the Sony translation.

There are additional converters available (for a price) such as one for extracting files from the old Rocket Book format. Plug: they also sell a full line of format converters. I have purchased and I do use their products. I am not associated with the company.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:54 AM   #2
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Due to some strange blocks, I'm not able to download the Sony converter from Rapidshare.
Do you know a mirror link for it?
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:41 AM   #3
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Were did you see it was updated? When I look in the 'Latest Version' list I find: LIT Converter v2.05 (2007-11-16)

Last edited by Ortep; 08-29-2008 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Typo
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Only some of them have been updated. Not all.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:34 AM   #5
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Only some of them have been updated. Not all.

I know, But he mentioned the LIT converter as updated and that one is almost a year old
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:41 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The author said he would be updating the Sony converter to handle graphics and styles. Total BS. We get an update and it still doesn't do what he said it would. What a load of rubbish.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:02 AM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Jon, his business is selling conversion programs. He has provided many converters -- some specifically for the ebook market -- free. He has made incremental improvements in the Sony converter. The first Sony converter I tried from him was six revisions ago. He never set a timetable for the enhancements you want. He also never said that it would be quick. When you run your own business you take care of the revenue side first and the pro bono side on a as time allows basis.

It seems that everytime someone mentions ABC Amber or the Process Text Group you sing the same refrain of rubbish or worse. I pointed out that the free Sony converter still did not meet your standards for a giveaway product. Many of us find their tools valuable and are thankful for the contributions that the Process Text Group has made to out community through the free tools.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Jon, his business is selling conversion programs. He has provided many converters -- some specifically for the ebook market -- free. He has made incremental improvements in the Sony converter. The first Sony converter I tried from him was six revisions ago. He never set a timetable for the enhancements you want. He also never said that it would be quick. When you run your own business you take care of the revenue side first and the pro bono side on a as time allows basis.

It seems that everytime someone mentions ABC Amber or the Process Text Group you sing the same refrain of rubbish or worse. I pointed out that the free Sony converter still did not meet your standards for a giveaway product. Many of us find their tools valuable and are thankful for the contributions that the Process Text Group has made to out community through the free tools.
If he had fixed up the Sony converter, I would gladly have payed for it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #9
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post

Actually, I bought their PDF Converter and I am very happy with it's performance and the results it creates. About the only issue I had with it was that it ran out of memory when I did a batch conversion of 14000+ pdf files.... But then.... I would have been more surprised if it had been able to handle it without problems
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, free software, lit, lrf, palm, pdb, pdf