Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
Statch
Connoisseur
Statch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PW2, Samsung Galaxy 3, Kindle Fire HD
Syncing to last page read

I just switched to a Kindle from a Sony PRS600 because I found out that Calibre will allow me to use the 'last page read sync' feature between the Kindle and my Android phone for books I didn't purchase on Amazon. (They have to be DRM-free and converted to Mobi format, of course.)

I am loving this feature and have been telling people that's why I switched, but now I'm wondering if Calibre makes this possible for any of the other devices? For example, Kobo or Nook? I've been telling my sister about it and she's thinking of buying a Kindle because of it, so I want to make sure she's not unnecessarily restricting herself to the Kindle. I searched on the forums but couldn't find any indication that it works for anything but Kindle at this point. I may have just missed it, though.

(Thanks so much to Kovid Goyal and the other Calibre developers for this feature. I've been really wanting it but because I don't buy from any one store, I had thought I wouldn't be able to have it.)
Statch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, as far as I know, it only works for the Kindle.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Statch
Connoisseur
Statch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it is

Thank you! Amazon owes you -- it sold a Kindle for them. (But then all of us owe you for so much. Just a reminder to everyone about donations for Calibre...)
Old 07-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statch View Post
I just switched to a Kindle from a Sony PRS600 now I'm wondering if Calibre makes this possible for any of the other devices?
No, because this is a feature of the Kindle and the information is stored on Amazon's servers. It wouldn’t be available for any other reader, as they don't connect with the Amazon store. So the Kindle is only device it will work with (and the Kindle apps, of course).

Apple has a similar feature for iBooks. As I understand it, it works for all books you put in the in the iBooks app, not just the ones purchased from the iBook store.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
This feature is total awsomeness. I use it constantly. I am VERY glad that calibre makes it possible for non-amazon books
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:19 AM   #6
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
I'm curious about the changes to this. Do you still have to use a separate program to do a mobi=>mobi conversions to update the headers and put in the AISN, or do the more recent versions of calibre now handle this?

I've stopped using the kindle app on my other devices but I might be tempted if I could sync non-amazon books.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
Statch
Connoisseur

Calibre does the conversion. If you have a book that you're just converting to .mobi and have a recent version of Calibre, Calibre will do it automatically. If it's a .mobi book that was already in your Calibre library, just re-convert it to .mobil, and Calibre will add the ASIN. (The change came with a recent version of Calibre, but I don't know which one.)

It's a great feature.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #8
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen Morse View Post
I'm curious about the changes to this. Do you still have to use a separate program to do a mobi=>mobi conversions to update the headers and put in the AISN, or do the more recent versions of calibre now handle this?

I've stopped using the kindle app on my other devices but I might be tempted if I could sync non-amazon books.
You can sync non-amazon books. Just be sure to convert them to .mobi (even from original .mobi files if they're not from calibre or amazon) to .mobi in calibre. Like I said, I use this constantly, switching between my android and kindle.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:41 AM   #9
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statch View Post
Calibre does the conversion. If you have a book that you're just converting to .mobi and have a recent version of Calibre, Calibre will do it automatically. If it's a .mobi book that was already in your Calibre library, just re-convert it to .mobil, and Calibre will add the ASIN. (The change came with a recent version of Calibre, but I don't know which one.)

It's a great feature.
That's great to hear. I may go back to using Kindle for Android .
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #10
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
@Gwen - my hubby has the Kindle for Android app also and has been syncing between his phone, his Kindle and his iPad.

I currently am able to synch between iPhone, iPad and Kindle, the Calibre version that added the sync function is probably my favorite update. Just wanted to let you know it can be done.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:15 PM   #11
doomsdave
doomsdave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, iPhone4
Looks like Amazon just killed this ability in the 2.8 update for iPhone. Restoring to v. 2.5 got the feature back.
doomsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #12
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsdave View Post
Looks like Amazon just killed this ability in the 2.8 update for iPhone. Restoring to v. 2.5 got the feature back.
I'm on 2.8 and it's working.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:42 AM   #13
doomsdave
doomsdave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, iPhone4
That's good to know, thanks Carol. I'll re-update after this book and try again.
doomsdave is offline   Reply With Quote