Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 05:24 AM   #1
Mike45
Mike45 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Cart before the horse?

Hello all!

I've done my research on e-readers and I will be purchasing a Sony PRS650 in the next 6 to 8 weeks. Really looking forward to that!

In the meantime, I'd like to shop for and download some e-books for my new device.

Any problem with doing that before I get my reader? If not, how should I proceed? Go to a seller's site, purchase my choice and download to my computer?

I'll be grateful for any comments and advice from forum members!
Mike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:56 AM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Congrats in advance on your new reader!

I'm sure you'll get a lot of advice. It's like drinking from a firehose around here.

Personally, I think the Sony Library software is the easiest way to begin. You can download it for free from Sony's web site. Once it's installed, click Sony Store in the left nav pane. That connects you to Sony's store.

In the store, click on Bargain Books to find a bunch of free titles (featured in the middle of the page with covers), and discounted titles.

I'd download some of the free ones just to play around with the software.

Enjoy!
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:05 AM   #3
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
And, of course, you can download any of the books on MobileRead for free as well if any of those take your fancy (just get Epub or .lrf format ones for a Sony reader).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:37 AM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
^^ Indeed, and it's easy to import them into the Sony Library to play with.

Or you can play with Calibre, which many on the forum prefer.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Sony's hardware is the tops, Mike. It's library software is anything but. I scrapped it two years ago and now exclusively use the free Calibre library software that many here favour. Give it a go. Thanks for the new company, and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:21 AM   #6
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Welcome to MobileRead Mike.

If you let us know what country you are from and what computer O/S you are using, it may help in our suggestions.

I would go browse Sony eSupport for the PRS-650.

Once there, you can read and/or download the user manual for your reader.

You can also download the latest version of the Reader Library Version 3.3 and install it. This should create an Adobe ID for you (unless you already have one) and authorize your computer to read Adobe DRM'd ePubs and PDFs.

Then you could try purchasing some free books from the Reader Library and try viewing them on your PC to make sure you have the process working right.

Then you could see if there is a library near you which allows you to borrow eBooks and see what is involved in checking out an eBook. (I suggest you stick with the ePub format.)

The list goes on...

I had my Reader Library populated with dozens of eBooks before my reader arrived.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
How exciting for you! Congrats on your selection. I agree with the recommendations to install the Sony Reader Library software and get familiar with it. At the top of the Sony forum are sticky threads. There is one called "Sony Reader book sources beyond CONNECT" which will point you to ebook sources, both free and paid. It probably isn't obvious to a new Sony user that CONNECT is what they used to call the Sony software before they renamed it to the Reader Library. Thus this thread really means where can I get ebooks besides the Sony store. If you think that you might change your mind on your 650 purchase, then maybe you should stick to free ebooks for now and limit your paid purchases. One of the reasons I like my Sony ereader is the wide variety of sources where you can find books. I also second the recommendation to investigate whether your local library has digital media like ebooks.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #8
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Sony's hardware is the tops, Mike. It's library software is anything but. I scrapped it two years ago and now exclusively use the free Calibre library software that many here favour. Give it a go. Thanks for the new company, and best wishes. Neil
I agree with Neil. The Sony software is such a pain I only keep it to download from the Sony Store (which is not that great anyway)

Calibre is much better. I think you would be mad not to start obtaining books now and keep on your computer for when your new reader arrives.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:44 AM   #9
Mike45
Mike45 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Many thanks for the above comments! Playing around with the required software before getting my reader was good advice. For the time being, I’ll keep both Reader Library and Calibre and “test drive” both applications when my Sony arrives. Calibre really does look to be the superior software in any case.

Once again, thank you all for taking the time to respond to my post!

Best wishes and happy reading! Mike
Mike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:28 AM   #10
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike45 View Post
Many thanks for the above comments! Playing around with the required software before getting my reader was good advice. For the time being, I’ll keep both Reader Library and Calibre and “test drive” both applications when my Sony arrives. Calibre really does look to be the superior software in any case.

Once again, thank you all for taking the time to respond to my post!

Best wishes and happy reading! Mike
Just remember not to have Sony and Calibre running at the same time. It has been known to cause a few problems.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:08 AM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Just remember not to have Sony and Calibre running at the same time. It has been known to cause a few problems.
Good advice, SneakySnake. I learned that the hard way once... I think it was because I had Sony and Calibre both open with the ereader attached via USB at the same time.

Mike, now that you have whet your appetite with the software, your challenge will be to stay patient until your 650 arrives!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote