Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > Kindle Books (offline)

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 08:12 AM   #16
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
By the way, for the benefit of anyone following this thread who hasn't read The Big Sleep yet: don't let this put you off.

There's nothing in this discussion that will be a spoiler. The demise of the chauffeur is only one thread in the novel - and a relatively minor one.
yes, absolutely agree. and i think it was moejoe who said recently something like chandler novels are not really about the plot anyway, they're more about the ambiance, the characters, and all the little details. they're truly brilliant, and really you don't actually care that no-one knows who killed the chauffeur.

(maybe it was a rogue villain from a completely different novel who was on the run from the cops and knocked him off so he wouldn't squeal !)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #17
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
A bit better formatted version from Australia is here.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #18
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
As far as I remember, I found it in a book of short stories in our public library. They were stories from the American pulp crime magazines, like Black Mask. I'm not even certain of the title of the story.

If I get any more information, I'll post it here.
The story is The Curtain. For another chunk of The Big Sleep, see Killer In The Rain
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #19
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
The story is The Curtain. For another chunk of The Big Sleep, see Killer In The Rain
Thanks, Ralph. Now you mention it, I think Killer in the Rain was the name of the collection. There is certainly a copy of that book listed in my local library's catalogue. But I don't remember the name of any stories in the collection.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #20
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
oh, brilliant ! thank you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Quote:
Thanks, Ralph. Now you mention it, I think Killer in the Rain was the name of the collection. There is certainly a copy of that book listed in my local library's catalogue. But I don't remember the name of any stories in the collection.
it looks like quite a few stories are available at both of the previously mentioned links. it's possible the entire collection is there. the curtain is, anyway.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #21
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
*Blush* You mean .ua is not Australia? Actually the site is in the Ukraine.

And one should be careful using the site. It's *full* of copyrighted material.

Last edited by jgaiser; 02-03-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Additional comment
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #22
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
oh, brilliant ! thank you !

it looks like quite a few stories are available at both of the previously mentioned links. it's possible the entire collection is there. the curtain is, anyway.

Here is the list of short(er) stories written by Chandler (in publication order)

Blackmailers Don't Shoot
Smart-Alec Kill
Finger man
Killer In The Rain
Nevada Gas
Spanish Blood
Guns at Cyrano's
The Man Who Liked Dogs
Pickup on Noon Street
Goldfish
The Curtain
Try the Girl
Mandarin Jade
Red Wind
The King In Yellow
Bay City Blues
The Lady In The Lake
Pearls Are A Nuisance
Trouble Is My Business
I'll Be Waiting
The Bronze Door
There's No Crime in the Mountains
Professor Bingo's Snuff
The Pencil
English Summer
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:12 AM   #23
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Very useful and interesting, Ralph.

So I was right about Killer in the Rain being a short story (as well as the name of the collection I referred to earlier).

I'm slightly surprised that Smart-Alec Kill was so early. It seemed to be much more mature than any of the others I can remember reading. I'm also slightly surprised tha The Lady in the Lake is on the list. I thought that was a full-lengh novel.

I've still got an old copy of Tom Hine's biography of Raymond Chandler. I'll have to read it again to refresh my memory of all this.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american detective, first novel, philip marlowe, pulp