Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Mine arrived today...

Yep, ordered it late on Friday 6th, delivered 10.30am Tuesday 10th - not bad at all. Stuck it on charge and went back to work.

Been playing this evening - hooks up to mobipocket desktop without a hitch (this on a MacBook running XP under Parallels) and easy peasy transfer/sync of books. Gen3 seems to happily display html, txt, mobi and pdf - the pdfs are the ones that come with the cybook, so I guess that's to be expected.

My only gripe so far (aside from the cover 'to follow' grrrr) is really a mobipocket issue; I tried to buy some books from mobi, and can download the 'tasters' but when I try to buy the actual books, I'm told they're 'not available in your country'! Seriously, I would have bought $100 or so of books tonight (it's an author I like), books that are available as eBooks in the correct (DRM'd) format, and I can't do it because.. well, I just don't know why, to be honest. Seems crazy that I can download the taster, for free, but not buy the $21 ebook 'cos I'm in the 'wrong' country.

Anyway, that aside, I'm well please with the Cybook - just need that case, now!

Cheers, Pete.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
glad to hear things went well for you. i've been using mine for several days, and i can't seem to stop reading

i think non u.s. users can buy books from mobipocket.com judging by this thread http://www.mobipocket.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2008, 01:38 AM   #3
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
i think non u.s. users can buy books from mobipocket.com judging by this thread http://www.mobipocket.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50
Thanks for the link - I didn't know mobipocket had their own forum. I can buy books from mobipocket.com, and have done so in the past, no problem - it just seems to be these particular titles/authors that aren't available outside the US for some reason; maddening!

Still, very very pleased with my Cybook

Pete
Old 06-11-2008, 02:13 AM   #4
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Have your tried some of the other E-book stores like Fictionwise & booksonboard.

Other people from the UK have reported being able to buy any of the books they want from there, so it just might be problem in the Mobipocket store built into the desktop client.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:13 AM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Pete, there are far better places to get books from, than mobipocket...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2008, 02:45 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
MobiPocket are a "wholesaler" to the other Mobi eBook stores, and they appear to have some kind of agreement not to undercut them. Consequently, they are generally more expensive than other stores. Even worse, if you live in the EU, you'll get charged the French VAT rate of 19.6% on any books you buy there over and above the listed price!

Try buying from FictionWise instead. Excellent prices and a good selection, and they'll sell you anything.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:37 AM   #7
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
can non-u.s. readers order books from fictionwise? that was his original complaint...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
MobiPocket are a "wholesaler" to the other Mobi eBook stores, and they appear to have some kind of agreement not to undercut them. Consequently, they are generally more expensive than other stores. Even worse, if you live in the EU, you'll get charged the French VAT rate of 19.6% on any books you buy there over and above the listed price!

Try buying from FictionWise instead. Excellent prices and a good selection, and they'll sell you anything.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #8
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
can non-u.s. readers order books from fictionwise? that was his original complaint...
I'm in Canada and I've not found any books that I can't order from Fictionwise due to "wrong country."
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #9
petermillard
Evangelist

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Not only could I buy from fictionwise (no 'wrong country' there...) but I saved myself a few quid as well, and just in time for 4 hours of train journey tomorrow - result!

It's been a while since I used Mobipocket, and I'd completely forgotten I could buy mobi books from other sites, so thank you again everyone, very much appreciated.

Cheers, Pete.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:34 PM   #10
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Not only could I buy from fictionwise (no 'wrong country' there...) but I saved myself a few quid as well, and just in time for 4 hours of train journey tomorrow - result!

It's been a while since I used Mobipocket, and I'd completely forgotten I could buy mobi books from other sites, so thank you again everyone, very much appreciated.

Cheers, Pete.
Glad you're enjoying the Cybook (and Fictionwise!) .. their prices are really good for us in the UK .. so much cheaper than the 'paper' ones for sure! .. someone advised me to join the fictionwise club which I have done since and have already (only 3 months into my membership!) gained the price of the membership so it's well worth it ..

Continue to enjoy

Loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:11 AM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post

Cheers, Pete.
It gets even better when you can 'work' the dollar/sterling exchange rate...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:06 AM   #12
laeneel
laeneel began at the beginning.

Device: none
To get books from the Mobi ebook store just put your country as the US and it will let you download it no problems, I originally put Australia and it wouldn't let me purchase.......just changed it and then no problems.
laeneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #13
Kennywenny
Ken
Kennywenny began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
I have been getting my books from Fictionwise but all of a sudden (it seems) a lot of books have become unavailable outside of USA. Even those I already have!
Tried changing my address to USA but that didn't seem to work.
However, all books can still be purchased by purchasing Micropay credit - that works a treat.
Kennywenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #14
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
my pocket pro sort of arrive but hasnt.
u see it was a failed delivery. but thing is we been in all the time and it was suposed to have been delivered at 6.51am.
now our postie dont work till 9am we live near it.. and either way we would have heard the door com go.

so i emailed astak.

just wonder if anyone else in uk (stafford area) or any where else has had this problem.

having just getting over food poissoning which happend last week i was eager to try it

can anyone recomend a ebook site for when my pocket pro turn up.

ps please move to astak pocket pro forum . if in wrong thread ta

Last edited by sian; 09-10-2009 at 06:07 PM.
sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:35 PM   #15
jayne80
Connoisseur
jayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toys

Device: iphone 4s, ipad 3, kindle touch,kindle PW, kobo mini, kobo aura
WHSmith has a 30% ebook sale at the moment, although the checkout system can be a bit of a pain i've found books on there that weren't available in the US for a change.

Jayne
jayne80 is offline   Reply With Quote