Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
automa
Zealot
automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Epub files diveded into little .xml files

As I am browsing through an Ebook I downloaded from archive.org and trying to put in table of contents, I noticed that I can't freely fastly scroll down to the next sections and chapters, having to click on the next .xml page listed on the left side.

Is there any way to speed up the process?
automa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Speed up what process? You're not trying to use Sigil to actually read epubs are you?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
automa
Zealot
automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would like to read them on the phone. Also I would like it to be divided according to chapters and sections instead of randomly cutting off in mod section in the form of the list of .xml pages on the left.

In other words I would like the XML pages to break up even with the sections and chapters, not in between them.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ahh... then you'll need to use Sigil to merge files together (right-click and 'Merge') and then Split the files at the natural sections and chapters you want (can use Edit 'Split at Cursor' or mark all the split points you want with Insert 'Split Marker' and split them all at once later with Edit 'Split at Markers').
Old 06-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
The cursor needs to be at the end of the chapter instead at the start of the next one. If you put it at the beginning of a chapter it will split in the wrong place.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
The cursor needs to be at the end of the chapter instead at the start of the next one. If you put it at the beginning of a chapter it will split in the wrong place.
Is that new? I almost always put the cursor right before the heading of what I want to become the next chapter. Never had any trouble before.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Is that new? I almost always put the cursor right before the heading of what I want to become the next chapter. Never had any trouble before.
That was the safe, V2,3,4,5,6 way
Just before can include a whole lot of (unwanted) DIV

We are talking BV here
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
We are talking BV here
Not only do I keep forgetting that there IS a book view ... I keep forgetting that some people even risk doing things in it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-27-2013 at 09:37 AM. Reason: crazy, annoying typo
Old 06-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Not only do I keep forgetting that there IS a book view ... I keep forgetting that some peole even risk doing things in it.
I do manual splits Only (and minor typo fixes)

I avoid joins cuz it messes up big time, and always inserts a style=
which then messes up the LOOK of the text after the join point
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
automa
Zealot

Quote:
Ahh... then you'll need to use Sigil to merge files together (right-click and 'Merge') and then Split the files at the natural sections and chapters you want (can use Edit 'Split at Cursor' or mark all the split points you want with Insert 'Split Marker' and split them all at once later with Edit 'Split at Markers').
Would it be better to select the chapter titles and put in the table headings (for table of contents) before or after merging?
Old 06-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by automa View Post
Would it be better to select the chapter titles and put in the table headings (for table of contents) before or after merging?
If everything's split up all willy-nilly right now, I can't imagine it making much of a difference when you format your chapter/section headings. Definitely generate the ToC after you're all done with merging/splitting, though.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #12
automa
Zealot

What difference does the merging and splitting make? Is it that if the sections are too large, it takes a long time to load, and if too small, you have a slight loading time each time you hit a section, a little too frequently, while reading the ePub files?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #13
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
The splitting of those files, although awkward, isn't actually random. One of the earliest ebook readers was limited to about 275-300Kb of data per book section. There are people who are still using that ereader. So what you're seeing is an EPUB cut into 275-300Kb chunks while paying no attention to content.

As you've noticed yourself, it would be much better to cut the EPUB into chapters and other logical sections. Doing so will generally result in more, smaller sized files, which can be loaded and interpreted by the ereader much quicker. So the response time is better.

As to where to split the files within Sigil, that seems to be a slight conversational digression about older versions of the program. Apparently where you split things might have generated a bug. Since the current version doesn't have such a bug, the info isn't important at this time.

Your best bet is to split the ebook into logical sections and then establish a TOC by highlighting each section's name and then specifying it's Heading level (H1, H2, H3, etc). Thereafter you can generate the TOC and it should be fine.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I put the cursor at the end of the last line of text where I want to split. Then I split. That works like it should. Keeps things from not carrying over that should not carry over.

So if I have...

Code:
This is the last line.

Next Chapter
I will put the cursor after the period in the last line and split.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #15
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Splitting at chapters or other logical places means files short enough to minimize the damage of editing gone crazy! (grin)
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote