Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 02:42 PM   #31
MichelleR
Just Me.
MichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, Nook Touch
Jo in The Crying Child by the aforementioned Barbara Michaels -- when she's not being Elizabeth Peters.

Buffy in Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
MichelleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:06 PM   #32
ronejay
ronejay began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I never could understand the popularity of Laurel K Hamilton. It really does baffle me, after about five books in they're nothing but terribly written erotica. Anita Blake spends more time in bed than hunting vampires.

That's disappointing. A lot of people on Amazon recommend Anita Blake. I will delete the series from Fictionwise wishlist.
ronejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #33
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronejay View Post

That's disappointing. A lot of people on Amazon recommend Anita Blake. I will delete the series from Fictionwise wishlist.
You might enjoy Charlaine Harris' "Sookie Stackhouse" series. Vampires, etc, but treated very light heartedly. Fluffy, you might say. A little sex, in some of the series, but not in all. It starts with "Dead After Dark".
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #34
ronejay
ronejay began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
You might enjoy Charlaine Harris' "Sookie Stackhouse" series.
I love Sookie! I love paranormal & do not mind a little romance. There's a list of favorite authors in one of the threads in Amazon paranormal. I use that list as a guide to decide what I'm going to read next. Right now I'm reading Mercy Thompson series.
ronejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:46 PM   #35
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The first couple Anita Blake books was good. I like Tanya Huff's "Blood" books and Vicki Nelson feels to me like a good female character.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #36
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Jessica Trent in Lord of Scoundrels is one of my all time favorite female leads. She seduces the hero, enacts a fearsome revenge when he mistreats her, and ultimately pounds the villian's head to death (somewhat figuratively) at the end of the book.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:47 PM   #37
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Ah. If it's revenge fantasies that we're interested in, then Fay Weldon's heroine in "The Life and Loves of a She-Devil" may be worth considering.
(The book; maybe the UK TV adaptation, but not the film.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:26 AM   #38
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I never could understand the popularity of Laurel K Hamilton. It really does baffle me, after about five books in they're nothing but terribly written erotica. Anita Blake spends more time in bed than hunting vampires.
Honestly it was the first five or so books that I was thinking of. When Anita was still finding her way and fighting herself as much as she fought the Things that Go Bump in the Night.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:42 AM   #39
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Elizabeth Moon. Both her sf - Serrano Legacy, Vatta' War and f - Paksenarrion, have strong leading female characters. Her stand alone Remnant Population has an elderly lady who stays behind alone when the population of her settled planet is removed.
Elizabeth Moon and Lois McMaster Bujold are on my automatic buy list.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:59 AM   #40
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Linnea Sinclair writes great strong women:

Trilby Elliot in Finders Keepers
Captain Tasha "Sass" Sebastian in Games of Command
Jorie Mikkalah in Down Home Zombie Blues
Chasidah "Chaz" Bergren in Gabriel's Ghost and Shades of Dark

And I love Patricia Briggs' Mercedes "Mercy" Thompson (series begins with Moon Called).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:25 AM   #41
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The main character (Moon Dawntreader) in Snowqueen by Joan D. Vinge.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #42
CaptOzone
CaptOzone began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Kim Harrison's "Rachel Morgan" - series. Nothing like a smart-ass witch who likes to kick ass.
CaptOzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #43
sunflower42479
sunflower42479 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Cassandra - is the novel by the same name by Christa Wolfe
I just finished reading a friends novel and while quite brassy and brash Zen in Zen and the Art of Murder and Zen and the city of Angels is quite a character.

Any woman in a book by Thomas Hardy (not really modern but...)
sunflower42479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:48 AM   #44
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Maureen Johnson Smith Long from Heinlein's "To Sail Beyond the Sunset".

What a Lady!
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:01 AM   #45
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
On a serious note:
Eat, Pray, Love (okay not so much a "character" as a memoir but she makes herself very relatable.
The Girl With the Green Dragon Tattoo - really strong female character.
Blue from Special Topics in Calamity Physics.
Plus one vote for Elizabeth Bennett and many of the other JA heroines (except the one from Northanger Abbey and the histrionic one from Sense and Sensibility).

From SF:
Anne McCaffrey's heroines

From Children's Lit:
Anne (of Green Gables) and Pippi Longstocking.

From a purely madcap perspective:
Stephanie Plum from the Janet Evanovich Plum Series.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote