Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What Travel/Adventure book will enthrall us in March?
The Last Days of Old Beijing: Life in the Vanishing Backstreets of a City Transformed by Michael Meyer 10 25.64%
Wild by Cheryl Strayed 10 25.64%
In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson 13 33.33%
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce 7 17.95%
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne 13 33.33%
In an Antique Land: History in the Guise of a Traveler's Tale by Amitav Ghosh 9 23.08%
Seven Years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrer 10 25.64%
Endurance by Alfred Lansing 7 17.95%
River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard 8 20.51%
In Patagonia by Bruce Chatwin 6 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
Is that true? I just found the following on Amazon:

You can't turn that off? That sounds a bit weird to me..
Here's the link to the non-Oprah book club 2.0 edition.

http://www.amazon.com/Found-Pacific-...cheryl+strayed
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Come on people Wild needs just 3 more votes without any other book getting another vote.
Advert
Old 02-24-2013, 03:53 AM   #48
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
This is another one of those really close runs.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:26 AM   #49
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here's the link to the non-Oprah book club 2.0 edition.

http://www.amazon.com/Found-Pacific-...cheryl+strayed
Oh, I hope the Overdrive I'm on the waitlist for is the non-Oprah version! It should be unless it says otherwise, shouldn't it?

Edit: LOL! I see now that FLP have both, and there's a longer waitlist on the Oprah version! I'm on the waitlist at another library that only has one version, and judging from ISBN it's the non-Oprah. Phew!

Last edited by Asawi; 02-24-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #50
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Those Oprah underlines sound annoying. Probably safer to vote for something else, like...

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Those Oprah underlines sound annoying. Probably safer to vote for something else, like...

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

You can get WILD without the Oprah stuff added to it.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #52
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
If and when Jules Verne's book would be the choice of the month; which part of it would I have to read, or both? Is it one book in English?
I have two old books: 20,000 leagues under the sea eastern hemisphere and 20,000 leagues under the sea western hemisphere.

Last edited by desertblues; 05-06-2015 at 11:22 AM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #53
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Jules Verne seems to making a final charge. His book was my first choice.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #54
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'd love to read the Ron Miller's new version of Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, but it seems a stretch to say it fits into the "Travel/Adventure" category. Cloud Atlas was a far better fit for the Science Fiction category than the Verne book is for Travel/Adventure.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #55
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'd love to read the Ron Miller's new version of Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, but it seems a stretch to say it fits into the "Travel/Adventure" category. Cloud Atlas was a far better fit for the Science Fiction category than the Verne book is for Travel/Adventure.
I was a little surprised at the nominations for this month. I was expecting more fiction nominations. Maybe it is the subtly of changing the category from Adventure/Travel to Travel/Adventure (plus I probably wasn't paying attention during the category nomination process).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #56
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I was a little surprised at the nominations for this month. I was expecting more fiction nominations. Maybe it is the subtly of changing the category from Adventure/Travel to Travel/Adventure (plus I probably wasn't paying attention during the category nomination process).
I guess when I saw Travel/Adventure I thought of books that fit in the Travel & Adventure category a lot of stores use, meaning Adventure books would be stuff like Blind Descent by James M. Tabor or Beyond the Deep by William Stone & Barbara am Ende or Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer as opposed to Adventure fiction like 20,000 Leagues, Swiss Family Robinson or Treasure Island (which often fits into other fiction genres).

Last edited by AnemicOak; 02-25-2013 at 03:06 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #57
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Well, I was looking forward to this category, but I am not looking forward to reading the book that looks like it will win.
I will read Wild when I get it from the library. I may read a couple of the others as well, but I think I'll skip Jules Verne.
No big deal though! Wouldn't things be boring if we all agreed on everything?!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #58
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Mr. Verne seems to have moved up and taken the lead since I voted for him. A coincidence I'm sure but an interesting one. I wonder what he'd have thought if someone had told him that one day people all over the world would be discussing his book in a place that had no physical location (i.e. cyberspace). I imagine he'd have thought such a thing pure fantasy.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #59
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I agree with you there. If the new version of Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea is available I will read it though. Or at least look at the cool diagrams that it now includes supposedly.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #60
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I guess when I saw Travel/Adventure I thought of books that fit in the Travel & Adventure category a lot of stores use, meaning Adventure books would be stuff like Blind Descent by James M. Tabor or Beyond the Deep by William Stone & Barbara am Ende or Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer as opposed to Adventure fiction like 20,000 Leagues, Swiss Family Robinson or Treasure Island (which often fits into other fiction genres).
I'd have liked this to be a non-fiction category, but didn't see that happening. I'm not surprised that scifi/fantasy is the result since this bookclub seems to lean that way, although I am surprised that no one nominated one of Krakauer's books for this category.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote