Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
dkatvt
dkatvt began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
ESPN - Bill Simmons

Hi all, newbie here. I searched as best I could including the old locked recipe thread for a working bill simmons news feed. The ESPN feed: http://search.espn.go.com/rss/bill-simmons/
returns podcast links as well as article headers.

I'm nowhere near familiar enough with calibre or python yet to try to create a valid recipe to just give me the full text articles. Has someone else already done this? Can anyone point me to a valid recipe?

Thanks,
DK
dkatvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, DK.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
isn't there already an ESPN recipe?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
dkatvt

My apologies if there is a recipe for this one columnist. I did find a recipe by kiklop74 here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=817

but that is for all of the news from the site. I'm looking for just one featured columnist and his personal feed has the problem I described above, namely, podcast links etc.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

you should be able to modify that recipe for your columnist. Just add your feed and remove the others. calibre will most probably ignore the podcast entries automatically and if not, they will result in empty articles in the download.
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
dkatvt

Well, in fact I tried to substitute my feed for one of the 5 listed in the recipe. As it turns out, the four feeds I didn't touch work fine but mine does not. My rewritten portion of the feed is:

feeds = [
(u'Top Headlines' , u'http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/rss/news' )
,(u'Tennis' , u'http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/rss/tennis/news')
,(u'NFL' , u'http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/rss/nfl/news' )
,(u'Bill Simmons' , u'http://search.espn.go.com/rss/bill-simmons/' )
,(u'College Football', u'http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/rss/ncf/news' )
]

The total recipe still downloads and formats the four news feeds, but not the Bill Simmons feed. You can see from the URL that it's unlike the others. But from there I'm lost. I'm trying to learn the python language well enough to edit better but that's going to take awhile...
Old 11-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Then I'm afraid you just have to wait and see if someone if willing to do the work for you.