Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
Demonix
Demonix began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle jailbreak - possible problems?

Well, my Kindle finally arrived yesterday and I was initially very eager to start with some experiments with homebrew apps. Seeing that the KDK hasn't been released yet, I'm considering jailbreaking my Kindle in order to start with some early kindlet attempts.

Now don't get me wrong - jailbreaking in general isn't new to me, I like to toy around with any device I can get my hands on and usually don't fear bricking it. However, getting the Kindle was a real pain because of my country's shitty policies on importing electronic devices in general and after all that mess ordering another in case I brick this one is out of the question. Therefore, I'd really like to play it safe with this.

So just some quick questions:
Is the jailbreak fully reversible? I saw there's an uninstall script, but couldn't find much info on it.
Would it be possible for Amazon to at some point release an update which can't be applied if the device is jailbroken?
If I brick the device, what are the chances of bringing it back to life (i.e. is there a factory reset that can undo the mess I make)?
Any general tips on how to play it safe after applying the jailbreak?

Thanks in Advance.
Demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to Mobileread, Demonix

Good luck!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Demonix: Yes, it's fully reversible. It's actually just a single new file written to the fs.

After that, it depends on what *you* do . But the jailbreak itself is pretty simple & unintrusive.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
qdlaty
qdlaty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Asus Transformer
I did jailbreak, screensaver hack and tried also the usbNetwork hack.
Right now I cannot connect to WiFi (Kindle shows that is connected to wifi after restart but I cannot open any website or register the device).
I did uninstall of all - usbNetwork -> SS -> jailbreak and reset to factory defaults and the problem still exist.

But after re-applying the hacks (but without the usbNetwork) I can now connect to networks without problems.

So, it means something was not right (I always used the latest available packages from the main thread).

Last edited by qdlaty; 11-04-2010 at 07:12 AM.
qdlaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@qdlaty: Unless you played with usb tethering, *nothing* should touch the WiFi by default.

(Except maybe when ethernet over usb is enabled, there's been a few reports of that not playing nice with the wifi, but I never actually tried that myself).
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
qdlaty
qdlaty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@qdlaty: Unless you played with usb tethering, *nothing* should touch the WiFi by default.

(Except maybe when ethernet over usb is enabled, there's been a few reports of that not playing nice with the wifi, but I never actually tried that myself).
I was not able to run anything through usbNetwork.
Telnet was working fine but no connection through my laptop back to internet (machine is Linux OS).

Never mind, just word of advice - don't install things you won't need and you will be fine

Jailbreaked Kindle is a great thing.
qdlaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:49 AM   #7
seanlv
seanlv began at the beginning.

Device: K3
@NiLuJe: Would the "Reset to Factory Defaults" reset everything which made by jailbreak and USBNETWORK?

if not, what is the best way to revert to the original Kindle (I am using Kindle 3)? For example, I could backup (like ghost) the whole system, before I apply jailbreak.
seanlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:20 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@seanlv: No. Just uninstall the hacks.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #9
seanlv
seanlv began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@seanlv: No. Just uninstall the hacks.
Thanks NiLuJe

According to you, it won't uninstall jailbreak, I am wondering what the "Reset to Factory Defaults" really do?

I am not sure if you tried to install Duokan, would "Reset to Factory Defaults" reset eveything which did by Duokan? for example, some scripts in init.d, RC.d folders.
seanlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@seanlv: No, it won't. It only (mostly) resets the userstore (ie. what you see when you plug your Kindle over USB).
Old 11-14-2010, 06:27 AM   #11
Sharni
Sharni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
@NiLuJe, Sorry I'm totally new to this forum and I'm also getting my very first kindle for Christmas =] I've been looking around the different threads and I'm amazed by how much you guys can do with the kindles. I was just wondering if i jailbreak my new kindle 3 and install the screensaver hacks is all of that fully reversabile? Sorry if you've already answered this but I'd just like to know in simple terms if I could reverse everything should I need to send it back to amazon, if not I think I'll leave well alone as I'm not as technologically advanced as you guys =D
Sharni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Sharni: Yep, it is .
Old 11-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #13
Sharni
Sharni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
@NiLuJe Thank you so much, I'll be trying it out then as soon as I get my hands on the kindle =]
Sharni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:10 AM   #14
radiantforce
radiantforce began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
i really just wanna jailbreak this to change the screensavers. some of the pics are pretty haunting. any potential problems from this? seems to be some problems with usbnetwork. but i dun plan to use tht. just screensavers.

how do i hard reset or factory settings? thanks
radiantforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:41 AM   #15
radiantforce
radiantforce began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
how do i knw that the jailbreak has taken effect?
radiantforce is offline   Reply With Quote