Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
PDF creation issue (and Don't Start!)

I'm working on migrating to WinXP, and I'm having a problem creating tagged e-book PDFs (actually, any PDFs at all). I suspect my problem is in irreconcilable sw/os versions: Windows XP, Acrobat Pro 5.0 (supposedly rated for XP), and Word 2000 (which of course never heard of XP). Word 2000 and Acrobat 5.0 worked fine on Windows 2000.

My guess is, I need to replace either Word 2000 or Acrobat 5.0. Any opinions?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I'm working on migrating to WinXP, and I'm having a problem creating tagged e-book PDFs (actually, any PDFs at all). I suspect my problem is in irreconcilable sw/os versions: Windows XP, Acrobat Pro 5.0 (supposedly rated for XP), and Word 2000 (which of course never heard of XP). Word 2000 and Acrobat 5.0 worked fine on Windows 2000.

Word 2000 should run perfectly fine on XP. Not sure about Acrobat though... but that would be my suspusion of where the problem is. Than again, newer versions may not support Word 2000.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
junior
Connoisseur
junior began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Try creating your PDF file with the bullzip (Free PDF Printer)

www.bullzip.com

Previously used the Acrobat Pro 5 (win XP end office 2000) without problem, but spent using bullzip to be faster and free.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Are you 'printing' the PDF or trying to use some kind of export feature from Word? Are any/all updates for the programs installed (if they're still available)?

It was a long time ago that I was running Office 2000 and Acrobat 5, but I don't recall ever having any problems making PDF's (although I never made a tagged e-book PDF).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Maybe if you described what exactly is the issue we could offer some advice. "Having a problem" is not terribly descriptive...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:29 PM   #6
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:

All of the applications you mention work on all the Operating Systems you mention. Back all the way up and expand on "the problem". What problem? Error messages? Screen Captures of the problem?
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:47 AM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, what happens is simple:

In Word, there is the Acrobat icon in the upper menu (two, actually, one for creating a PDF, one for creating and e-mailing the PDF). These are installed when you load Acrobat onto your PC. With a Word document open, you simply click on one of these icons to start the PDF process.

Using the icon as I always have, I clicked on it with an open document onscreen. The PDF process starts, but before it gets more than about ten seconds into the process--I believe that's the "done with setup, now printing pages" stage--the PDF application freezes, and will not release.

CTRL-ALT-DELETE will bring up the App Manager, at which point you will see 2 PDF functions running. Selecting and shutting down either of them will close Word, and the frozen print box, but the document will stay in the printer queue until you restart Windows.

See? Simple.

I have the same result when I use the File-Print method and select the Acrobat driver from the print menu.

Anyway, this same process has always worked under Win2K, Word2K and Acrobat 5. @AnemicOak, I manually installed each program with the same functions on each platform. WinXP is the only new variable here, but I suspect it might be Word2K that is the hangup, just because it's the oldest of the applications, and there was no WinXP to sync it to.

@junior: I've never heard of bullzip. Does it also tag PDF files for reflowing?
Old 05-13-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Word PDF functions all use Distiller in the background. Try running a simple PostScript program through Distiller. If you don't have one, here you go:

Code:
%!PS

/Helvetica 14 selectfont
72 500 moveto
(Hello World!) show
showpage
Old 05-13-2008, 09:15 AM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
The Word PDF functions all use Distiller in the background. Try running a simple PostScript program through Distiller. If you don't have one, here you go:

Code:
%!PS

/Helvetica 14 selectfont
72 500 moveto
(Hello World!) show
showpage
Okay... and what's supposed to happen if it works? If it doesn't? If my PC laughs at me and tips over sideways?

How does this relate to the tagging issue, or does it at all?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:22 AM   #10
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

You described a problem with PDF creation out of Word.
PDF creation out of Word uses Distiller.
Let's check Distiller. Basic troubleshooting 101.

What does Distiller do? Turn PostScript into PDF.
Let's give Steve dead-simple PostScript.

Distill it. Does it work? Meaning, does it create a PDF with the text "Hello World" printed on it in 14pt Helvetica, which should be self-apparent? Or does it fail? If it fails, then provide a description of the failure.

Either we've eliminated Distiller as the source of the problem, or we've identified it as the problem and redress it.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:57 AM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Okay, I'll check that. Thanks!

(At the moment, I'm at work, and my home internet connection has been problematic, so you won't hear more from me on this subject before maybe tonight or more likely tomorrow at this time.)
Old 05-13-2008, 01:27 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Steve,

I think Tylor is giving you some great troubleshooting steps. One question did you install Word2K first then Adobe Pro 5.0 second. Sometimes the order of installs can cause configuration problems. If you are able to print using Word then I would try uninstalling Adobe Pro 5.0 and reinstalling the app.

If you are in a bind and need to get these PDF out in a hurry there are two free programs out there that work fantastically.

OpenOffice.org has a PDF export function that creates excellent PDF. You can make the PDF's tagged, secured, encrypted (password), compress images,etc.... OO also works flawlessly with word documents.

PrimoPDF This comes installed on our work PC, not as nice as OO but does the job.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:34 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Steve,

You might like to try FinePrint PDFFactory (http://www.fineprint.com) to print to PDF. It works great, and I've used it with Word 2000 under XP. It's a cheap program with a downloadable demo version.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:37 AM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Progress report:

Successful Distiller test, but PDF still had lockup.

I decided to offload Acrobat and re-load it again, per =X='s suggestion, not because of the installation order, but just because I've recently installed a lot of other SW... also, the Acrobat install was a 2-step process of installing an earlier version, then loading the 5.0 upgrade on top of it.

I've tested from the Word icon, and now it's working! I can only assume something I loaded after Word and Acrobat was interfering... possibly my printer driver installation, but I have no way of knowing what.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, everyone!
Old 05-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #15
junior
Connoisseur
junior began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Okay, what happens is simple:
@junior: I've never heard of bullzip. Does it also tag PDF files for reflowing?
Hi Steve,

Bullzip by default creates PDF files reflowing.

Be worth it!
junior is offline   Reply With Quote