Notices

Old 03-29-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Screen getting textured while writing

Hi,
Has anyone noticed this: when I start writing stuff, the white background is slowly covered with very small dots, as if the paper is textured. If I continue writing, eventually the "noise" becomes very noticeable, and it all goes away if I display and hide the menu, the usual thing that removes all ghosting in other times too.
Anybody else experiencing this?

Kind regards
Seref
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:09 AM   #2
Groen
eReader
Groen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarikan View Post
Hi,
... when I start writing stuff, the white background is slowly covered with very small dots, as if the paper is textured. If I continue writing, eventually the "noise" becomes very noticeable, and it all goes away if I display and hide the menu, the usual thing that removes all ghosting in other times too.
Anybody else experiencing this?

Kind regards
Seref
Hello Seref,

I am experiencing the same.

I think it is a result of the DR using a local update on the screen when scribbling. Probably, there is some cross-over when updating pixels, which is not noticable when the whole screen is refreshed, but accumulates during scribbling, making the screen more and more noisy.

Opening and closing the menu causes a screen refresh, resulting in a clean screen again.

Greetings,
Groen
Groen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Yes, this is indeed an artifact of eInk technology which was originally conceived for the static display of text & images only (with a refresh inbetween each page) There may be new tricks & faster controllers, but it will probably never completely go away due to the physical nature of eInk (moving black particles from/to the surface of the display)

While the current solution on the DR1000 might seem a bit clunky (having to refresh the screen from time to time) it beats not seeing anything you write (as is the case with the experimental port of Xournal which does not use this "Screenmode")
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the confirmation, this is what I think it is. It is not much of a problem, I just wanted to make sure that I'm not the only once experiencing it

Kind regards
Seref
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote