Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 09-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #16
mfusion
mfusion began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-600
Day 3 eBook library does not launch on my mac

I am having same problems as others on this thread. Uninstall and clean reinstall 3x with no change. Hopefully sony will fix problem. Can't wait to see what happens when I upgrade to Snow Leopard...yikes... perhaps calibre is best replacement option ?
mfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #17
jpharvey
jpharvey began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Unhappy

I am also having serious problems with v.3 on Vista 64 (Kaspersky Internet Security). I was running version 2.5 witout any problem and since I ugraded to v.3 the program doesn't launch. It runs as a process in task manager but no window will ever open.

I have also uninstalled v. and re-installed v.2.5 but got the same problem. Tried disabling the Kaspersky software with no luck.

The only way I could get anything to work was to install it on my laptop (XP 32). I got v.3 running there no problem. I hope I don't run out of registered devices...

It would be nice to know what the problem is with v.3. I'm OK having a laptop with XP but still, I'd like to have the software run on my main computer with all my books and everything else.
jpharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 06:50 AM   #18
rcarrosq
rcarrosq began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Just noticed the same problems as the rest of the folks here....using V3.0 of the sony software and I can import books into the library but they will not transfer to my reader. Spent an hour last night with live chat and another hour this morning and still no luck. I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit on both computers and never had this problem when I was using the original software that came with the reader.

I've done an uninstall, reboot, used ccleaner to get rid of all dead dll files, reinstalled the software but the problem remains. I also tried reinstalling the old software but still cannot transfer books. Whenever I try to drag the book from my library to the reader, I get a message "ebook library has stopped working" and the program closes. Based on some stuff I read here, I checked my settings but I already have "US" checked for my region.

Anybody out there have any suggestions other than to wait for Sony to fix this?
rcarrosq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:15 AM   #19
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarrosq View Post
Just noticed the same problems as the rest of the folks here....using V3.0 of the sony software and I can import books into the library but they will not transfer to my reader. Spent an hour last night with live chat and another hour this morning and still no luck. I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit on both computers and never had this problem when I was using the original software that came with the reader.

I've done an uninstall, reboot, used ccleaner to get rid of all dead dll files, reinstalled the software but the problem remains. I also tried reinstalling the old software but still cannot transfer books. Whenever I try to drag the book from my library to the reader, I get a message "ebook library has stopped working" and the program closes. Based on some stuff I read here, I checked my settings but I already have "US" checked for my region.

Anybody out there have any suggestions other than to wait for Sony to fix this?
It permanently was crashing on me, when copying to internal memory, whereas both memory cards on Sony 600 have been working.
For me, it was VISTA's DEP: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56428
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #20
oldjohn
oldjohn began at the beginning.

Device: sony readers
The only way I seem to be able to load to reader after v 3.0 is to use windows explorer to move them...
oldjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Pier did you add eBoo Library to the DEP list?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #22
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I noticed that unlike 2.0, 3.0 always seems to load up when I plug in my PRS-505. This is a pain, because I use Calibre to update. I don't seem to see a way to turn it off either, there is not option screen like there is if you plug in a thumb drive or put in a CD.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #23
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
I noticed that unlike 2.0, 3.0 always seems to load up when I plug in my PRS-505. This is a pain, because I use Calibre to update. I don't seem to see a way to turn it off either, there is not option screen like there is if you plug in a thumb drive or put in a CD.
You can disable that "feature" . . . see Timoleon's solution (post #2) in the following thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56075
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #24
capnttom
capnttom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I've been bitten by the v3 bug as well on my Macbook Air. V3 was running fine, then all of a sudden the menu bar is missing items and there is no display. I've uninstalled and installed several times to no avail; changing location settings etc.

In the meantime, I've installed v3 on my MacPro and all is ok (fingers crossed).

Nevertheless, this is a real mystery. I would like to think that Sony is aware of the problem and will release a new version in the near future. It's something they will have to get right if they expect to be successful in this market.
capnttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #25
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I've re-installed 2.5 but still find I can't get a source view, so I can't drop books into my 505. Tried everything. No go.
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:17 PM   #26
wiessguy
wiessguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
After installing the update last night, I am having the same problems with it loading to my library but not to my reader. I also have lost all of the collections in my reader. I still have the collections in my library but not on my reader.
Somehow, one of the books that I purchased last night loaded on to my reader (even though it said there was an error and shut down.) I tried loading it many times and I'm not sure which time it got through. I am glad that one loaded so I have something to read while I am waiting for Sony to find a solution to this problem!
wiessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:16 PM   #27
swr2408018
Enthusiast
swr2408018 will become famous soon enoughswr2408018 will become famous soon enoughswr2408018 will become famous soon enoughswr2408018 will become famous soon enoughswr2408018 will become famous soon enoughswr2408018 will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-500
I've been having the same problem since updating to the 3.0 ereader software. And worse, when the software crases, it leaves the device in a semi-bricked "do not disconnect" state. So far I've been able to unbrick it successfully by various combinations of reset+USB connect+poweron.

When it is connected, I can transfer files to the device using (on Windows) explorer windows and file drag and drop. Once they're on the device, I can then close those shell windows, eject in the ereader software, let the device update its directory info, reconnect to ereader, let the software update its view of the device. At that point I can see the new book in the ereader and even drag it into an existing collection.

That's enough to limp by for the immediate future, but if anyone has a better fix on this, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Hope this workaround helps others in the meantime.

Steve
swr2408018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:44 PM   #28
swr2408018
Enthusiast
swr2408018 will become famous soon enoughswr2408018 will become famous soon enoughswr2408018 will become famous soon enoughswr2408018 will become famous soon enoughswr2408018 will become famous soon enoughswr2408018 will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-500
I sent Sony email on this issue, and got back a pointer to an article on

a) how to turn off DEP
b) how to clean up "corrupt folders"

Neither suggestion helped (though after b, the 505 no longer "bricked" so badly.) I went back to 2.5 for now.

Steve
swr2408018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #29
karinc
Enthusiast
karinc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Hi guys. This thread isn't very encouraging, except that we're all in the same boat, which makes me feel less alone, anyway. I tried installing v3 on BOTH Windows and Mac (MacBook Pro OS X 10.5.8/Windows Vista). The Mac install never shows any windows, that is, there are no dialog boxes, no interface to speak of, only menus. It may be important that I also installed Adobe's software Digital Editions. The PC version was working okay until I installed Adobe's library software, and then it started to crash whenever I dragged a book onto the Reader to copy it there. After contacting support I did do an uninstall of BOTH programs on both computers (and did it again on the PC after talking to them, and I did get rid of that Kinowa folder as directed). After reinstalling it and with the Adobe software GONE it still doesn't remain open (this is all on the PC). On the Mac every time I reinstall I get "The file /USD&language=en&product=unkown does not exist." I do restart etc. but it doesn't do anything.

I am using calibre now to manage my files and love it (using on the Mac) but I REALLY want to use my public library for books, and it appears that I need BOTH the Sony and Adobe software.

ARGH! Help!
karinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:40 AM   #30
angusweir
angusweir began at the beginning.

Device: prs 600
something to try???

I was having problem with EBL, whenever I connected the reader the application would crash. Having spent hours playing to no effect my scientific discipline went a little, but I opened EBL without the reader attached then changed the screen to look at the computer, then attached the device. The autoply dialogues came up which I ignored for a while. Then stopped the install ebl dialogue and continued to work OK.

There were other things happennig as well, so I will investigate further, but may be worth a try.
angusweir is offline   Reply With Quote