Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-29-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
evandy
Enthusiast
evandy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Multi-Core Conversion support?

I was wondering if anyone had started taking a look and re-structuring Calibre's conversion process so that it can take advantage of multi-cores. If I am running a conversion with, say, search-and-replace, and heuristic processing enabled, the conversion can take an extremely long time to complete. Obviously, there is a limit to what can be done without adding hard re-integration problems. But I was thinking that on a multi-core PC, you could realize some useful gains by, say, running the input plugin on one core, piping the output straight to search&replace, piping that to heuristics, and then piping the heuristic output to the output plugin. I would think that this kind of pipelining might be relatively easy to implement... and any gains would be useful at this point.
evandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Nope, no one is taking a look at that. If I want to exercise multiple cores, I run multiple conversions.

It should be fairly easy to use multiprocessing to speed up heuristics and S&R but it's not something I care enough about to move up my TODO list. Feel free to submit a patch
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
evandy
Enthusiast
evandy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I am a father of 2, and the oldest is just 2 years old... I'd be happy to do that, but it might take a couple years to find the time. I've got a single conversion that's been going 160 minutes so far tonight, and still chugging, so you can see why it would be useful.

If it isn't done by the point I have some free time, I'll take a look.
evandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:46 AM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Odds are it's the format scene breaks feature - that function needs some further optimization for some books based on user feedback, but I don't have any test cases where it's slow to know exactly what's wrong (works fine when I use it). Submit a bug request and I'll look into it, but otherwise just disable that one option.

Last edited by ldolse; 08-30-2011 at 02:49 AM.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:05 AM   #5
Raimond
Raimond began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kindle Paperwhite
It's been several years since this topic was discussed.
By now, quad and octa core systems are common and the conversion process could benefit a lot.

Any chance that this could be bumped to the TODO list?

I took a look at the conversion process but frankly that's too "magic" for me to do the patching myself.
Raimond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Nope, still not interested, sorry As I said before, if I feel the need to exercise multiple cores, I simply convert multiple books. Single books that take a very long time to convert are pretty rare, so spending effort parallelizing individual conversions is really not worth it, as far as I am concerned.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote