Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
DaAfroSheenQueen
DaAfroSheenQueen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iphone 3GS, netbook
Reading PDFs with column text on Kindle

Hello all

I've run into a bit of a problem and need some help trying to figure this out. I've tried using the search feature, but didn't find the answer to my question. That said, if this has been answered, I'd be more than happy to read the previous post if you provide the link.

Anywho..

I do a lot of reading of the Code of Federal Regulations at work for various projects. I've recently started converting the pdfs and uploading them to my Kindle, which cuts down on the amount of eye stain from looking at my computer all day (and my eyes are thanking me for it). I've managed to find a lot of the CFR that I use (mostly 40 CFR which is enviromental regulations) in none column pdf documents. However there are parts of 40 CFR that are stright from the federal register that I need to upload and its produced in the dreaded two column pdf format.

Is there a way to strip the column formating so that I can convert to azw or mobi and upload to my kindle? Is there an easier method (or any method) that makes two column pdfs easier to read on kindles?

Thanks in advance!
DaAfroSheenQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I THINK pdfscissors might help or work. You give it the pdf file and when it opens you can select the columns. It will then cut those columns like cropping a picture and reformat them into a new pdf. You can select both columns, first the left and then the right at the same time so that it will interweave them into one consecutive pdf file. I do not think it works with protected pdf files.

I took a breadmaker manual with 3 columns and converted it into ONE column output.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
DaAfroSheenQueen
DaAfroSheenQueen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iphone 3GS, netbook
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.
DaAfroSheenQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
DASQueen,
pdfscissors is a good suggestion. A similar application that you can use without the need of an internet connection is Briss. Try both and decide.

By the way, what I often do is to break each column into two sections (i.e. each page into four sections) so that you can comfortably read them in portrait mode.
Alternatively you could break the document into columns and send them for conversion to your kindle email address. That's probably your best bet if we're talking about the CFR here.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote