Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
No, it's not hypocritical. If a publisher wants to have some kind of drm he can't do otherwise. Outside Amazon, he can't sell a mobi book with drm, even if he would like so.
(You can of course argue that he could sell the epub with watermark too...)
That's what I meant. Why laden the ePub with DRM so it has locks and no keys where the Mobi is without locks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #32
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Chi pointed me to empik and nexto (both .pl) and both are offering epubs watermarked

So who wants to learn a wee bit complex but beautiful new language?

We'll see... Until the guys meet the 1st polish girls - reading will then no longer matter.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #33
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
nexto also allows to send directly to kindle. I just pray it stays this way, so convenient, no drm, 3 formats available, no hassle...

... except those embedded heavy fonts, to go back to topic.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Harry and JSWolf

Those books are sadly not in English. But here is a screenshot I took of my online library with 3 types available to download plus where I underlined "watermark" for mobi (epub is DRMed from what I saw)

the site is empik.com. They do have international catalogue in English and German but I think only on paper.
Thanks - that's very interesting!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:21 AM   #35
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why would you remove the fonts? In most cases, they make the eBooks look better.
When I had a Nook STR I bought a copy of Wire In the Blood by Val McDermid from B&N. It was stuck with this font that was so light, you couldn't read the book. I even spent an hour in the store with the Nook people trying to make it legible.

I finally ended up pirating a copy just so I could change the font into something legible.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyrixx View Post
When I had a Nook STR I bought a copy of Wire In the Blood by Val McDermid from B&N. It was stuck with this font that was so light, you couldn't read the book. I even spent an hour in the store with the Nook people trying to make it legible.

I finally ended up pirating a copy just so I could change the font into something legible.
Thank you for that. I totally forgot the "it's an inappropriate font for eInk" reason.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #37
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
I had font problems with the Dresden ebooks. They came with a perfect font for print but one almost unreadable on eink. Highly annoying.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:34 PM   #38
LillyIce
LillyIce began at the beginning.

Device: none
What's up with epubs?

I'm a writer who uses the Scrivener software, mainly because my last program didn't transfer to my new laptop. Anyway, every once in a while I'll compile the document I'm working on to see how long it would be in various formats, and while every other format shows it to be around 200-250 pages, with the epub file it shoots up to 800 something pages. I'm using the default font in a smaller size, and the only image is the cover, so why is the epub file so much longer than the other formats? Is it because it's digital? Is there a way to make it a more reasonable length without cutting any of the story?
LillyIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:41 PM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How have you determined that it's 800 pages long?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:41 PM   #40
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyIce View Post
I'm a writer who uses the Scrivener software, mainly because my last program didn't transfer to my new laptop. Anyway, every once in a while I'll compile the document I'm working on to see how long it would be in various formats, and while every other format shows it to be around 200-250 pages, with the epub file it shoots up to 800 something pages. I'm using the default font in a smaller size, and the only image is the cover, so why is the epub file so much longer than the other formats? Is it because it's digital? Is there a way to make it a more reasonable length without cutting any of the story?
Pages only COUNTS if everyone uses the exact same screen size and settings.
Word counts If you must (again, requires we all use the same algorithm to be meaningful)

Work in Layout Proportions
and NEVER inches or cm, those are for Absolutely Fixed layouts only .

I set the Body font size to 1em (1 em is relative to the devices default size)
Now the Chapter head is set to 1.5em (150% of the body)
subtitle 1.25em
InitialLetter: 2 or 3em

File size differences is due to encoding and Included Images and fonts. NOT your prose
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote