Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
llooll0001
llooll0001 began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT
Unhappy K4NT unbrick problem

Hi guys,

I've tried all day to unbrick my K4, but no success..
and i stuck at the "under the tree" screen with progress bar have 30% or 40%
Things already done:
1. flash the 4.0.0 kernel (from:http://pastebin.com/Wdw4L7yT)
2. flashed mmcblk0p1 via ssh from diags.(dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.bin of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K)
3. erased /var/local (dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K count=1K)
4. after 1-3 my k4 still didn't work, so i flashed 4.0.1 version of kernel and mmcblk0p1.....now i can't even see the tree(but maybe I used the preblem img)
5. so i redid 1-3 and stuck under the tree with progress bar and waitting for help..

Thanks.
llooll0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Hello,
is progress bar stuck on beginning or in half?

Because in my many unbricking procedures because of experimenting I found, that the beginning means problem on low-level (like linux kernel, init scripts etc.), but from half it's problem on high-level (Java GUI etc.)

Last edited by hostar; 07-17-2012 at 10:14 AM.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
When booting up, be sure that the USB cable is NOT connected.

If that does not work, then it looks like you have a discharged battery. Charge it with a wall charger for 3 hours. Then boot to fastboot mode with MfgTool and let it charge for 3 more hours. Then test it...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
llooll0001

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostar View Post
Hello,
is progress bar stuck on beginning or in half?

Because in my many unbricking procedures because of experimenting I found, that the beginning means problem on low-level (like linux kernel, init scripts etc.), but from half it's problem on high-level (Java GUI etc.)
it stuck in half...and the power light was off, is that right?
Old 07-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
llooll0001

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
When booting up, be sure that the USB cable is NOT connected.

If that does not work, then it looks like you have a discharged battery. Charge it with a wall charger for 3 hours. Then boot to fastboot mode with MfgTool and let it charge for 3 more hours. Then test it...
i've tried twice today booting up without usb cable, but the symptoms were the same, and i'm sure the battery was good.
Advert
Old 07-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llooll0001 View Post
i've tried twice today booting up without usb cable, but the symptoms were the same, and i'm sure the battery was good.
Can you boot main or diags with MfgTool? How are you sure that the battery is charged? A bricked kindle can completely discharge the battery even when you think it is off. The power LED is not a reliable indicator of battery charge on a bricked kindle. Charge it in fastboot mode for several hours (after charging with a wall charger first, if needed).

Several people have reported problems with the 4.0.1 images. Use 4.0.0 again. You can update your firmware later.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-18-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
HerrMaulwurf
HerrMaulwurf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Hello,

I tried to flash the 4.0.0 firmware using the files provided in http://pastebin.com/Wdw4L7yT (used the Mediafire mirror). I flashed the firmware with the tutorial provided at http://www.mediafire.com/view/?xrn3v3ln6cn2n75.

After following all the steps in the tutorial I end up in a Kindle with 4.0.0 but I am NOT able to update, neither to 4.0.1 nor 4.1.0. All I get is the Error U006. How is this possible? I am not using any screensaver hacks. Is it possible that this image is not really "clean" and somehow jailbroken?

Furthermore, it is totally impossible for me to directly flash the 4.0.1 using fastboot and SSH. After the final reboot it won't start the main system and only freeze within the diagnostics system. Even trying to boot it to the main system using MfgTool ends with a frozen Kindle stuck in the diagnostics mode.

Can you help me?
HerrMaulwurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
CREEPERHUNTER17
CREEPERHUNTER17 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K4nt
dude i have the same exact problem with the U006 error someone please help
CREEPERHUNTER17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
pippopelo
Connoisseur
pippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle 4th, Paperwhite 5th, Paperwhite 10th
Try this method:

1.enable diagnostics mode

2.enable usbnet

3. connect via putty SSH to kindle

4. login as root (the default password mario may not be valid),
derive it from the serial device with this tool -> http://members.ping.de/~sven/kindle.html
put mnt-in read-only (mntroot ro)

5.exit the diagnostic mode and restart the kindle

6.delete or move the custom screensaver, and leave only one

7.rename it 01N.png

8.restart the kindle, now the update should be successful

Last edited by pippopelo; 09-22-2012 at 10:39 PM.
pippopelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #10
CREEPERHUNTER17
CREEPERHUNTER17 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K4nt
give me step by step from beggining
CREEPERHUNTER17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #11
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
You do realize this is a volunteer forum, right? We help out here because we enjoy doing so. Helping people gets a lot less fun when we are ordered around and aren't even given respect.

Last edited by qlob; 09-22-2012 at 06:00 PM.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I especially like the 'step by step' comment as an answer to a post with freaking bullet points. That's... kind of amazing, actually .

But, to get back to it, I'll add that checking the logs is *always* your best bet to check why an official update is failing. Keyword: ;dumpMessages

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-22-2012 at 06:13 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #13
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I especially like the 'step by step' comment as an answer to a post with freaking bullet points. That's... kind of amazing, actually
^^ This.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #14
geekmaster

Perhaps he needs his steps numbered instead of bulleted, so he knows what order to do them in?
Old 09-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #15
pippopelo
Connoisseur
pippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle 4th, Paperwhite 5th, Paperwhite 10th
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPERHUNTER17 View Post
give me step by step from beggining
In my nation I write from left to right and from top to bottom, in your?

Sorry for my bad english. I'm italian.

Last edited by pippopelo; 09-22-2012 at 11:00 PM.
pippopelo is offline   Reply With Quote