Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #16
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
No it is not on the Paperwhite at all, just My Kindle. I gave it my name online when it said 4th Kindle, I changed the name. I did the same thing with the KFHD. The name showed up correctly on the KFHD.

Guess I should just bite the bullet and try the wi-fi again. I have to setup my network first though. I was putting it off til I decided if I was happy or not with it.
For my understanding:
You've asked about bookmarks. So you obviously have some books already on the Kindle. How diid you get them there? Via USB? Via 3G? From your Amazon account or some free books without copy protection? Amazon books, due to the copy protection, only should be accessible if the reader correctly is registered.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #17
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
For my understanding:
You've asked about bookmarks. So you obviously have some books already on the Kindle. How diid you get them there? Via USB? Via 3G? From your Amazon account or some free books without copy protection? Amazon books, due to the copy protection, only should be accessible if the reader correctly is registered.
I got it fixed. I had to setup my wi-fi and my registration and every got done. The thing I don't care for if recommendations for books. I setup parental to not open store and browser thinking that would stop the recommendation, it didn't. I also setup for cover to not show recommendations. It still did.

The time got cleared again, I setup again. The bookmarks was from the Kindle how to book they include on new Kindles. That is what I was referring to. I haven't tried bookmarks since then.

Because I think I am not liking the lighting. I have tried different settings, and I see splotches and shadows. That was higher and lower settings in a dim lighting room. I will keep trying it, but unless the screen changes in time I don't think I am going to like it. I am soooo sad. I was so hopeful.

Thanks for your help. Apparently yours isn't like this. Now if I return I will have to find out how to clear my Paperwhite with my network info. That was why I didn't want to setup til I knew for sure, but you really can't test it out unless you get a book.

At least I have til January 31 to return. But I have read some screen improve or get worse. How are these things made anyway? I read the Amazon page but it really doesn't explain why there is splotches and shadows.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:37 AM   #18
mobilewilier
Connoisseur
mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
I had to setup my wi-fi and my registration and every got done.

Now if I return I will have to find out how to clear my Paperwhite with my network info. That was why I didn't want to setup til I knew for sure, but you really can't test it out unless you get a book.
I doubt the splotches will get better. Shadows at the bottom of the screen caused by inherent design of the 4 LED lights.

You can get a replacement or get a refund from Amazon.

Clearing the PW is easy.
1) At the home page --> Settings --> Registration --> Dergister.
2) Settings --> Reset Device.

Done.
mobilewilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #19
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilewilier View Post
I doubt the splotches will get better. Shadows at the bottom of the screen caused by inherent design of the 4 LED lights.

You can get a replacement or get a refund from Amazon.

Clearing the PW is easy.
1) At the home page --> Settings --> Registration --> Dergister.
2) Settings --> Reset Device.

Done.
Thanks I saved this in case I return.

Last night after I cleaned the screen it seemed to get rid of the shadowing I was having. I read some people had the same problem.

Weird. I am going to keep trying.

My little bird didn't like the flashing though, every page turn bothered him.

So I changed it to flash every several pages. I will see how it goes tonight.

The bookmarking is working now.

I wonder if they are going update anymore to fix some problems.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:30 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I wonder if they are going update anymore to fix some problems.
What problems are you experiencing?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #21
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What problems are you experiencing?
I guess it isn't a problem particularly, but it is the fact you can not fine tune the lighting like you should be able to, or want to.

For instance 4 is too bright for me, 3 is to low because I see shadows and I can not see as well.

I have mature eyes, wear bifocals as much of the maturing readers have, so I hold the reader far away and it causes shadowing. When I hold the reader close to my face there are no shadows and would be clear if I have 20/20 vision. But I don't so it doesn't work good for me.

I am not sure what the answer is. But on the Kindle Fire HD using Screen Dim I am able to adjust the light and with sepia background reading a Kindle book is pretty darn good compared to the Paperwhite. But it still isn't eink. Also the lighting is complete, no 4 lights at the bottom shadowing.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #22
new

Upon further reflection and after using this for several nights and then switching to the Kindle Fire HD to read on each night (I read two books at once) I think I MAY be able to read on it, but either my eyes will adjust or the unit will "break in" so to speak, lol.

Changing the option of flashing every page to every several pages improved the complaints I was getting from a bird of mine. It isn't ghosting anymore. It did that the first day before I connected to the internet and got the registration completed. It did weird things that day.

But still I think it depends on your eyes if you adjust or not. If I hold it close to me the lighting is better. But holding it further away like I need to do you get some shadowing.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #23
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
That is good to hear that you either get used to it, or the device starts to behave better. You just need to see it as what it is: an eink device you can use at night. With beeing spoiled to already have a solution to read at night with your fire, maybe you simply expected that the PW can replace the 2 specialized devices. Try for a while to see how the light at level 4 works out. Only because it appears to be too bright at first does not mean you can't get used to it. There is a difference between the lcd of the fire, where you look directly into the light, and the indirect lighting of the PW.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That is good to hear that you either get used to it, or the device starts to behave better. You just need to see it as what it is: an eink device you can use at night. With beeing spoiled to already have a solution to read at night with your fire, maybe you simply expected that the PW can replace the 2 specialized devices. Try for a while to see how the light at level 4 works out. Only because it appears to be too bright at first does not mean you can't get used to it. There is a difference between the lcd of the fire, where you look directly into the light, and the indirect lighting of the PW.
Agreed. You should be comparing it with an eInk device with a booklight, not with a backlit LCD. Anyone expecting the type of perfectly even illumination that a backlit LCD has is going to be disappointed, but it's MUCH better than any booklight I've ever seen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #25
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
... but it's MUCH better than any booklight I've ever seen.
That is good to hear - my wife is complaining about her Touch. She falls asleep reading it, but then the bed lamp does not automatically turn off.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #26
new

I agree that I am getting use to 4. I really enjoy reading the Lincoln book on it now that I got free. The battery is lasting for me all week so far.

I am glad I gave it a chance now. But now I need to figure out how to turn pages easier, because the cheap stylus I have doesn't seem to work. I can't use my fingers as I put cream on at night.

Does anyone use stylus and can recommend one that works? Maybe I haven't learned how to correctly turn pages going backwards and fowards. This is my first ereader touch screen.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #27
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Agreed. You should be comparing it with an eInk device with a booklight, not with a backlit LCD. Anyone expecting the type of perfectly even illumination that a backlit LCD has is going to be disappointed, but it's MUCH better than any booklight I've ever seen.
I picked up a PW a few days ago for my wife for her birthday. I figured it was time for her to get a "real" ebook reader. She has been using a Pandigital eink reader that I bought on Woot for $39.

She absolutely loves the PW. It is far nicer, more convenient, and less distracting than the Pandigital w/book light.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #28
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Dust between screen layers possible?

Hi,

I'm (probably) the only proud owner of a still in use Sony prs-700. My wife is trying it for a couple of weeks and is quite happy but hates the small dust particles that gradually have been entering between the screen layers: the prs 700 has a resistive touch screen above the e-ink layer and there is a noticeable gap between them that allow the built in leds to lit the e-ink screen and read in the dark. I wonder if such a thing can happen with Kindle PW, if not, probably the Three Wise Men will bring one to my wife this Christmas. I have seen the tear down at Amazon but still it is not clear for me.

Regards.

Last edited by eksor; 11-27-2012 at 02:35 PM.
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #29
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
I agree that I am getting use to 4. I really enjoy reading the Lincoln book on it now that I got free. The battery is lasting for me all week so far.

I am glad I gave it a chance now. But now I need to figure out how to turn pages easier, because the cheap stylus I have doesn't seem to work. I can't use my fingers as I put cream on at night.

Does anyone use stylus and can recommend one that works? Maybe I haven't learned how to correctly turn pages going backwards and fowards. This is my first ereader touch screen.
Any cheap stylus works that is for capacitive touchscreens. This one for instance costs probably more in shipping than anything else: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0053N...sr=8-1&pi=SL75
Old 11-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #30
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Any cheap stylus works that is for capacitive touchscreens. This one for instance costs probably more in shipping than anything else: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0053N...sr=8-1&pi=SL75
Thanks those look like the cheap ones I have, for some reason they don't work well. I touch and touch, sometimes it takes 4-5 touches!

Gotta wonder, is it me?