Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Simple PDF (and stealthy .htm)

I was stuck today with a .rtf file, no way to get it onto my jetBook for reading, and I wanted to read it away from the PC. All I had was the damned K3. No e-mail access either.

So... As it happens, I had MS Word and a PDF printer widget (PDF Creator) on my PC. I saved the file as .htm (HTML 3) and renamed it as a .txt. Then I printed it in A7 size as a PDF. When I transferred them both to the K3 via cable, to my surprise, they both worked.

One learns new things every day. I still prefer the jetBook for .rtfs, but in a pinch...

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Actually, the k3 will read and even use links in html files where you just rename the EXTENSION from xxx.html to xxx.txt

I moved my Blackberry homepage (links that I use from the BB's browser) to my K3 just by changing the extension. It is a 3-column table and displays and works fine including, as noted, the links in the table.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
sarang
sarang began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Display of other non supported file formats

This procedure works for languages and fonts not supported by kindle. I import non-roman texts in unicode in word, set page size to 9 cm x12 cm, convert to pdf using cutepdf print utility. This method works fine for the present, though the file size is doubled. Waiting for downlodable unicode-font support for other languages, as this is a more elegant solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
I was stuck today with a .rtf file, no way to get it onto my jetBook for reading, and I wanted to read it away from the PC. All I had was the damned K3. No e-mail access either.

So... As it happens, I had MS Word and a PDF printer widget (PDF Creator) on my PC. I saved the file as .htm (HTML 3) and renamed it as a .txt. Then I printed it in A7 size as a PDF. When I transferred them both to the K3 via cable, to my surprise, they both worked.

One learns new things every day. I still prefer the jetBook for .rtfs, but in a pinch...

Regards,
Jack Tingle
sarang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Leaving it as HTML and renaming as .txt keeps the font control and better formatting, as well.

Calibre would convert the html to mobi for you, plus you could fix the metadata (titles, author, cover).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Leaving it as HTML and renaming as .txt keeps the font control and better formatting, as well.

Calibre would convert the html to mobi for you, plus you could fix the metadata (titles, author, cover).
The file itself was ephemera. I just wanted to read it on a more comfortable screen without spending a lot of time moving it.

There are a dozen other routes, as well. None of them available. I'd never tried the .htm-->.txt trick and was surprised at how well it worked. I wound up reading that version of the file.

I did like the look of the PDF Creator-made PDF file slightly better, though. A7 size is just a bit smaller than the Kindle screen, so "fit to screen" worked well. Just remember to minimize the margins. I used 0.1". YMMV.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2011, 02:44 AM   #6
Jamie the Kiwi
Jamie the Kiwi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Is there any way to change the extension from .html to .txt on say 1000 files, all in folders and sub-folder? (a website source-code download) Or would you thing I'd have to change each one?
Jamie the Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:45 AM   #7
the-equinoxe
Hardware Tweaker
the-equinoxe began at the beginning.

Device: K3-Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie the Kiwi View Post
Is there any way to change the extension from .html to .txt on say 1000 files, all in folders and sub-folder? (a website source-code download) Or would you thing I'd have to change each one?
If you want to use a program: search for "batch rename", lots of freeware available for many operating systems..
In linux from the terminal, just use:
Code:
rename -v ’s/\.htm$/\.html/’ *.htm
which renames all htm files in html)

EqX
the-equinoxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
LupasRename can do it.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote