Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
mallums
Enthusiast
mallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheese

Device: KT4
Mono?

Has anyone tried or is anyone trying to port enough bits of Mono to Kindle 4 and Kindle Touch? I would like to develop using IronPython (and conceivably C# and/or IronRuby).

I don't think the full Monty of mono would be necessary or desirable, but a minimal subset of it could prove very useful. Is this feasible?

Python itself is fairly slow with the native interpreter. IronPython could fix that.

What does everyone think?
mallums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
mr.w0lf
n00b
mr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with others

Device: Kindle Touch
this mono? http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page
isn't too much heavy? if python alone is slow, why adding an other component would speed all things up?
mr.w0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
I was thinking about same thing, but I didn't try anything.

There are some advices how to do that:
http://www.mono-project.com/Embedding_Mono
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Technically possible and it's pretty funny idea (not funny as in "it's interesting to do", but funny as in "it's entertaining").

If you are ready to cross-compile Mono by yourself, you'll find complete instructions on http://www.mono-project.com/Mono:ARM
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
mallums
Enthusiast
mallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheese

Device: KT4
I don't want the whole of .net/Mono, just enough for IronPython and bindings for gtk. Enough of the CIL runtime to allow IronPython. Mono is heavy in the whole, but the CIL virtual machine runs better than the Python.org vm. I don't want all the ABI/API crap to run Windows programs on a Kindle (of course), I just want stdio and the ability to access Kindle screen. Java doesn't thrill me, and Javascript/HTML 5 isn't yet universal. Surely someone has already taken a crack at whittling Mono down to size?

eureka, I'm glad I put a smile on your face.
mallums is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert