Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Was the short-lived Kindle Deal of the Day just an experiment???

I always whine to my husband about the cost of e-books and tell him that I imagine e-book sellers - whether the publishers in the agency model or the retailers for non-agency - would make more money if they dropped the price of the books and thus sold more. BUT, I always say this without any data, just my intuition based on my own buying behavior.

So now I wonder - wild speculation - if the short-lived Kindle Deal of the Day was a focused experiment by Amazon to gather some concrete data on just that issue???

P.S. For those who don't follow Kindle: The Deal of the Day was a set of several books - maybe 15 or so each day - that went on sale for $2.99, just for that one day. The Deal of the Day started up sometime late last year (at least that's when it first seemed to show up on these forums), and is already gone now, early in 2011.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Looks like it was just a limited time promotion. Just like, on the Amazon UK site, we've had a "12 Days of Kindle" promotion which started on Christmas Day and finishes today, offering a range of Kindle books for £1 each.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
So now I wonder - wild speculation - if the short-lived Kindle Deal of the Day was a focused experiment by Amazon to gather some concrete data on just that issue???
I doubt it since the publishers set the price, not Amazon.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Yeah. The site says the promotion is over.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
I doubt it since the publishers set the price, not Amazon.
Actually, no, these were not books where the publishers set the price using the agency model.

I just checked about half of the $2.99 books I bought during the week or so of the "Deal of the Day" and NOT ONE was agency model. (I bought enough that I got tired of checking after a while...half of a lot is still a pretty good sample.)

So Amazon did choose to lower these prices temporarily themselves.

My speculation is still a speculation...
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert