Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-13-2010, 03:36 AM   #1
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Anyone doing jury duty?

I was called up for jury duty for 3 weeks starting 6th December 2010...

I don't mind doing it, I just mind when I'm not called in, I have to tell work, and they can then send me anywhere they like, and I hate that...

I work with intellectually disabled people, and we have a large range of different support needs...

I find it so frustrating not knowing where I'll work on any given day...

At least now I've been selected, and know I'll be in court for at least 4 days... and that's sooooo boring - I think we were in the court room for 1.5 hours all up... The rest of the time was waiting...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:06 AM   #2
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
I've been called for Jury Duty 4 times in the 11 years since I first moved to Alaska. I served the first two of those times in a normal jury, the third I didn't get picked, and this last time (about a year ago) ended up being Grand Jury. Grand Jury lasted 1 week a month, for 5 months.

I have to admit that Grand Jury was one of the most interesting, and at the same time disturbing, experiences of my life. I heard such appalling stories (child abuse, rape, incest, etc.) that it took me weeks to feel "normal" walking around in public after the process was over. I take my civic duty very seriously, but I honestly hope I never have to serve on an evidentiary trial.

Just "hearing" about it was enough.

Some of that stuff is heartbreaking, and really tough to stand.
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I've gotten the notice three of four time but never had to even go in, let alone get selected and serve. I'd like to though, if for no other reason than to see the process up close, although it might just irritate me.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I served on a jury for two weeks, about four years ago.

My overrding memory is long tedious hours sitting in a cramped jury room, while the lawyers and judges argued over legal points that the jury weren't allowed to hear. Over half the time I was in court was spent like that.

It was worse then waiting for a plane that's been delayed, because at an airport you can at least sit in another area or go for a walk around.

I didn't have an ebook reader in those days. I got through several magazines and a book of crossword puzzles. If I'm ever called up again, I'll make very certain to take my Kindle along.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I've always been dismissed. usually they do not like having anyone with a legal background on a jury
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I've gotten jury summons several times, but never even had to go IN the court house.

This last time was for a federal jury and I was to call after 5pm the day before to ensure I had to report. I didn't. I was glad because it was an hour and a half drive to get there.

The time before that I took my card to the court house, only to be met by an officer who took my card and informed me the case had been pled (plead?) out that morning. The cards were color coded for each courtroom or something, and they took up the ones for the dismissed cases to prove the juror appeared, so they could get their $15 check.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I was called for a Coroner's Court jury duty earlier this year. Just one day in court. I found it quite interesting, if a little distressing at times (it was a case of suicide, disputed by the deceased's family).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #8
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Being a former prosecutor and a current attorney usually gets me out of it. Often times I can call the clerk and just get written off without having to come in. I appreciate the need for the civic duty, and I am eternally grateful to those who serve, but it would be unfair to both the attorneys and the parties if they were to let me on a jury.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
jkeene
Connoisseur
jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Kindle 3
Called twice, excused before trial date once. Not selected when summoned this past fall. Next time I'm summoned I'm going to make sure to sit front and center of the jury waiting room. Here in my county a judge hears requests from jurors to be excused from a desk in the front of the room. The requests, and often the judge's replies, can be quite funny.
jkeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeene View Post
Called twice, excused before trial date once. Not selected when summoned this past fall. Next time I'm summoned I'm going to make sure to sit front and center of the jury waiting room. Here in my county a judge hears requests from jurors to be excused from a desk in the front of the room. The requests, and often the judge's replies, can be quite funny.
hello jkeene! welcome to the forums!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:22 PM   #11
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Got called in last month for the first time in my life. (Been registered to vote since I was 18.) Criminal trial, assult on a police officer. Sat through the whole trial for two days and then was dismissed as the alternate! It was so unfair I miised two days of work had to write lesson plans for the sub and then I dont even get to talk about the case with the other jurors.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #12
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I was called up for jury duty for 3 weeks starting 6th December 2010...

I work with intellectually disabled people, ...
*rolls d20 to resist making joke . . . rolls a 1*

I work with intellectually disabled people too . . . .

I tried . . . I really did. Honestly though, you're to be commended for doing so.

I actually got called for jury duty for my small rural town. The standard jury is 3 people. *sigh*
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:58 PM   #13
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I'm up for (potential) jury duty later this month; this'll be the first time in many many years I'm not going to check the box that says "financial hardship" and send it back. (For most of my adult life, a week on jury pay would've made me homeless. I've just barely got enough cushion to avoid that now.)

I don't expect to be selected; I'm aware of fully informed jury legalities, and willing to mention it. (There are FIJA supporters who try to hide that affiliation in order to get on juries; I can't afford it.) Also, any organization that pays me $15/day for my careful perception, consideration, and judgment, is obviously not paying for my *professional* knowledge, which goes at a much higher rate; they must be asking for something else. The other arena where I have practice with discernment and conclusions is religious.

I'm considering, if I get called in, showing up in full robes, which would probably get me dropped quickly. More than either side doesn't want "liberals" or "conservatives" or "people who hate cops" or whatever--none of them like wild cards. They want to believe they can predict the jury's response by their demographics, and I skew that assumption.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:10 PM   #14
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I've been summoned twice (once while in college and I was in another state at the time, and once here and I was excused for a few days, and not called the other days), and I had to fill out a questionnaire for another round, and this reminds me I haven't been summoned yet. Maybe I'll luck out.

I have to admit, I'm a little scared I'll end up on some scary trial and they'll start harassing my family to get me to vote not guilty. Do you think that's a direct result of too many courtroom movies over the years?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:02 AM   #15
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I have been an Australian Citizens since 2006 and this is the third time I've been called up... The second time I left the letter (didn't know what it was), only found it a few months later.

This current trial is interesting - and they don't know that I have a legal background from Denmark... I used to work for the Judge in a small town, and often appeared in court on his behalf in small litigation matters...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote