Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 03:20 AM   #1
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Books I've bought from fictionwise

I just put ereader on my ipod touch, and thought I could go into my Bookshelf at fictionwise and redownload all the books I've bought... Not so... 40% could not be downloaded.

They do have an explanation about books expired, but they only accounted for 6%..

When geo restrictions first appeared they said that books you had already bought could be downloaded again...

NOT HAPPY...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:10 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
With eReader you shouldn't need to re-download your books. You'll just need to enter your name an CC details.

The problem with non-download of books at fictionwise is the agency model deals with publishers, and that fictionwise haven't been able to come to any agreement yet.

All this is yet another great argument against DRM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I just put ereader on my ipod touch, and thought I could go into my Bookshelf at fictionwise and redownload all the books I've bought... Not so... 40% could not be downloaded.

They do have an explanation about books expired, but they only accounted for 6%..

When geo restrictions first appeared they said that books you had already bought could be downloaded again...

NOT HAPPY...
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 05:25 AM   #3
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I used to read on my Palm Zire 72... and I still have the books there... Now I just want them on my Ipod in the same format.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:43 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I used to read on my Palm Zire 72... and I still have the books there... Now I just want them on my Ipod in the same format.
You mentioned eReader format. The copy protection (DRM) system in the eReader format works by requiring you to enter the name and CC Number used to encrypt the file, usually the one used to pay for it, but in any case, the one entered into fictionwise's system when the file was downloaded.

To read your eReader files on your iPod Touch, download the iPod Touch eReader software from the iTunes Store, and then... Oh.

Ah. I see the problem now. There's no way to copy the eReader books you have on your computer into the eReader application on your iPod Touch.

I don't have any experience wit this, or I'd have spotted it sooner.

I think that Calibre might be able to help out, by providing a web server of your eReader books, from which you could download to the iPod Touch. Perhaps ask in the Calibre conference?
Old 04-10-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
If you have the book(s) that you want to read on your PC, then you can upload them to your Personal Bookshelf at Fictionwise and download them from there to the iPod Touch. Somewhat back to front, but it does work (gets tedious mighty quick). There are other ways but none of them terribly straightforward because a simple web server doesn't work as eReader requires a ereader:// formatted link (don't ask).
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 07:15 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
If you have the book(s) that you want to read on your PC, then you can upload them to your Personal Bookshelf at Fictionwise
Oh - I didn't know about that. Yes, that seems the simplest solution. See this link: http://www.fictionwise.com/help/personalcontent.htm and in particular, Method 2: Personal Content Server.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
lene1949
Wizard

Thank you...