Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
de_Genova
de_Genova began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Need help please - how to use the universal flasher

I need help. Someone gave this advice and I haven't the slightest idea of what he means.

So please help me to understand how to use the universal flasher in order to to remove the current Sony Reader PRS 505 firmware from my computer, then proceed in 'flashing' the internal memory so I can reinstall the latest 505 firmware.

He says it could fix my problem of my computer not reading correctly the Sony Reader - it loads improperly. He say's it could fix my problems and is quite easy and harmless to perform. But for me its not so easy.

The he says go to this page----> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26831 .............which contains the zip files for the re-install

ORIGINAL POST BELOW
Can someone help me out please? I have a Sony Reader PRS 505 and I am using Vista in a HP Laptop. It always worked alright until recently. Now the computer doesn't seem to be able to recognize and read the Reader properly. When I open the Library it won't load unless I unplug the Reader from the USB connection. Then it opens and I re-connect the Reader and it takes all of about 20 minutes to boot correctly. When it does its not always reliable. But before it always loaded fine when the Reader was plugged in - incidentally - Its always charged up when I make my attempts.

This didn't happen when I first started using the unit. All opened well and it was nice and fast - no waiting - and no wondering if it was going to open.

I did load in the new update from online that allows for better access to PDF files etc. . And I am quite certain the battery was charged fully when I did so.......would that really cause a problem like this anyway?

I re-loaded the Library software from the disc and on line - and prior to the re-loading I dumped the programs - many many times in an effort to resolve the problem.............Any suggs out there? Thank you very much Philip In Philadelphia...........

Last edited by de_Genova; 05-01-2009 at 09:28 AM.
de_Genova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
The easier way to use the Universal Flasher is via PRSCustomizer, details for which are in this thread - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27177

However, I'd suggest not doing that until you're reader is working correctly - instead, I'd suggest trying a reflash of the 'official' flasher. The issue you'll have will be that it'll say it's up to date, so what you first need to do is to rename the .exe to .zip, unpack it, edit the file 'prs505/eBookUpdater/assets/updaterAssets/PRSVersion.dat' so that 110018040 reads 110018041, re-zip, rename to .exe and then run it.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #3
de_Genova

G.............thank you very much.............you seem quite the expert eh? I will download it now and see how it takes me..................PD
Old 05-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
wild_Willie2
Zealot
wild_Willie2 began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
So, your reader is working properly again ?
wild_Willie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
de_Genova

WW................Nahhhhh I thought it was OK but not really................

I have to unplug it for it to load.........when I plugit in again the Reader goes into "Not Responding" mode................

But you still haven't answered the questions I asked you...........are you going to?

Last edited by de_Genova; 05-01-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Advert
Old 05-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
de_Genova

It booted again

WW..............After waiting about 10 minutes it just booted up and its fine. Any ideas about that? Why would I have to wait so ling for a bootup?
Old 05-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
wild_Willie2
Zealot
wild_Willie2 began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
To format "flash" the internal memory:

Get the universal flasher here....

Then...unpack the contents of the archive to the root of your SD card.

Plug the flash card into the PRS-505

Press 6

Wait for the PRS-505 to report "Reflashing was successful. Rebooting."

Take the flash card out of the PRS-505

Wait for the unit to reboot

The unit is now without operating system, now download the latest firmware from sony and update the unit to this firmware.

Enjoy
wild_Willie2 is offline   Reply With Quote