Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #31
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
Is this at Amazon? I couldn't find it -
This is one of those writers who churns out books every month that either nobody bothers to read and/or nobody bothers to write reviews about....except for maybe 3 or 4 people.

Here it is, free from Smashwords:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/84837

Please let us know if she's written anything with new ideas, or if it's just a tired rehash.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-25-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #32
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
Is this at Amazon? I couldn't find it -
I don't know if it is available at Amazon or not, but it is at Smashwords.
Click
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #33
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thanks guys, I'll take a (quick) look. I didn't find it earlier either.....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #34
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Please let us know if she's written anything with new ideas, or if it's just a tired rehash.

Don
Don, I took a quick breeze through this. It appears to mostly a collection of blog/website posts from her website reworked, added to, etc. to form this book.

I'd say it's got a lot of good information and advice - particularly for newish writers - but is as you suspect mostly things that have been said elsewhere and everywhere.

The thing that is unique is that it is focused on Nanowrimo and has some good pointers about getting ready, and getting through it to complete the goal.

One point I took note of was when in the discussion of outlines, preparation etc. she says that if you have 30 'talking points' ... 30 scenes etc. that you can write 2000 words about each then your all but done.

Do one each day and you'd have 60K words at the end of November.

She did spend one chapter whining about those who 'attack' her for writing so much, so fast. Apparently she actually 'doubles up' on Nano and does two novels in the 30 days.

My take-away is that if you have been doing writing for a while then there's probably not a lot here to help you, but if you are relative new to writing or to Nanowrimo then there may be some good tips and info. And it is free....bonus!
Old 10-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #35
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Don, I took a quick breeze through this. It appears to mostly a collection of blog/website posts from her website reworked, added to, etc. to form this book.

I'd say it's got a lot of good information and advice - particularly for newish writers - but is as you suspect mostly things that have been said elsewhere and everywhere.

The thing that is unique is that it is focused on Nanowrimo and has some good pointers about getting ready, and getting through it to complete the goal.

One point I took note of was when in the discussion of outlines, preparation etc. she says that if you have 30 'talking points' ... 30 scenes etc. that you can write 2000 words about each then your all but done.

Do one each day and you'd have 60K words at the end of November.

She did spend one chapter whining about those who 'attack' her for writing so much, so fast. Apparently she actually 'doubles up' on Nano and does two novels in the 30 days.

My take-away is that if you have been doing writing for a while then there's probably not a lot here to help you, but if you are relative new to writing or to Nanowrimo then there may be some good tips and info. And it is free....bonus!

Thanks for the info on that, Kenny.

On a side-note to this: I notice she has a series of ebooks out on writing, sort of like lessons I would suppose, that are on Amazon. Going through her list very quickly, I failed to find any reviews of those writing ebooks.

Don
Advert
Old 10-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #36
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Thanks for the info on that, Kenny.

On a side-note to this: I notice she has a series of ebooks out on writing, sort of like lessons I would suppose, that are on Amazon. Going through her list very quickly, I failed to find any reviews of those writing ebooks.

Don
Her novel writing course is out at Smashwords as well. I posted about the 1st two books last year. There are 8 books in the series.
Click
Old 10-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #37
kennyc

Spent some time yesterday re-reading most of The Grapes of Wrath in prep for Nano....in hopes of both inspiring and shaping the direction of what I have in mind....still hedging a bit though....Damn Steinbeck is a hell of a writer! Both inspiring and intimidating.

Going to finish up that today and do some reading of Cannery Row...not that that has anything to do with my Nano plan but just the style and the writing to inspire....
Old 10-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #38
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Spent some time yesterday re-reading most of The Grapes of Wrath in prep for Nano....in hopes of both inspiring and shaping the direction of what I have in mind....still hedging a bit though....Damn Steinbeck is a hell of a writer! Both inspiring and intimidating.

Going to finish up that today and do some reading of Cannery Row...not that that has anything to do with my Nano plan but just the style and the writing to inspire....

Cannery Row is fun. I loved that book.

Don
Old 10-28-2013, 05:58 AM   #39
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
I'm in this year. I wrote 1600 words last year so my target is to beat that 8-)
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:18 AM   #40
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
I'm in this year. I wrote 1600 words last year so my target is to beat that 8-)
Old 10-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #41
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

I'm hoping to create something readable this year. It's easy to fall behind and never catch up with NaNo. One year (2009) I got off to a slow start and somehow managed to reach 50k on the 28th of the month. So I know it can be done. It's just having the discipline to get it done every day that can be difficult at times.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #42
kennyc

Yep, that's my plan. I don't figure it does much good just to crank out a bunch of -- in the end -- useless words. I can do that. I'd like to end up with something that can be reasonably finished/enhanced/edited to be publishable. In fact that's the primary objective as far as I'm concerned, I'm just planning on using the incentive of Nanowrimo to help accomplish my goal of writing a novel this year which otherwise might or might not happen. In fact I'm going to lean more towards something of first draft quality than just meeting the Nano goal.

Still planning on it and have been doing a bit of fleshing out of the idea, but am trying to do a final edit on my current project before it starts....

Last edited by kennyc; 10-28-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:04 AM   #43
Jyster
Enthusiast
Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Sunday I went to Paneras in Lincoln/Roseville, Ca and NanoWriMo was having a meeting there. I thought cool, a writing group, until the lady started talking about how to pad your wordcount, and then I lost interest.
Jyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:56 AM   #44
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyster View Post
Sunday I went to Paneras in Lincoln/Roseville, Ca and NanoWriMo was having a meeting there. I thought cool, a writing group, until the lady started talking about how to pad your wordcount, and then I lost interest.

Why not just report bogus totals..... sheesh!

Last edited by kennyc; 10-29-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #45
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I have longingly gazed through the shop-windows of NaNoWriMo every autumn for the past six years. Alas, something always gets in the way. This year we are moving. There will be a mad scrambling dash, but unfortunately not in pursuit of wordcounts.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote