Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #1
Analoggab
Analoggab began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1
PRS-T1 completely frozen. Tried everything

Hey guys,

I searched and searched and read and read and tried and tried.

My Reader is frozen on "Opening Book" is nothing will make him budge from that. A normal reset doesn't work anymore. I tried holding the Power button for a while. I tried holding the next and back keys (as in hard reset) but didn't do anything. At some point while playing with reset, power and different key combinations it went to white and came back to "Opening Book", only to be frozen again. And it did that for a while on its own, and then stopped and became definitely frozen again on "Opening Book".

Something to try that I could have missed?
Is it possible that it will just not budge from that?

Thanks
help me!!
Analoggab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Can you plug in the reader to your PC with the USB cable and delete the book that it's stuck on? Sometimes a badly formatted book will cause that. Make sure the reader has a sufficient charge also.

And just to be clear, you navigate to the reader and to the book using Windows Explorer or whatever your OS is, you don't delete the book through the reader itself.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 02-03-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
I had the same thing once and as already suggested I plugged it into the pc and deleted the last couple of books.. if you are using windoze the reader should appear as... Reader.. open this folder and you should see a sub-folder called books this is where you will find your books .. if deleting the last couple doesn't work then I would suggest deleting the whole lot as a last resort.. good luck and let us know how you get on
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Before deleting books, did you make sure your battery is fully charged? Plug it in, preferably to the wall plug, and leave it for several hours, or until the red light goes out (if it comes on). You could just have a low battery level.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Last time I saw a T1 out of power, the screen went blank.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Have you tried hooking it up to either the computer, or to a power adapter? I've found that sometimes this will get it unstuck. Once you hook it up, you might still need to try the reset and/or power buttons.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
Analoggab

Thank you so much guys for your great answers.

The thing is that when I connect the Reader via USB, it doesn't appear like it used to anymore. I'm on a Mac and it doesn't appear on my desktop as "Reader" and it's not recognized by the Reader app either...

So I don't have access and can't try deleting books and so forth.
Is that a bad sign?
Even if frozen it should show up on my computer?

thanks guys!
So appreciated.

p.s. the Reader is fully charged
I also left it plugged in the computer the whole night. Still frozen.

Last edited by Analoggab; 02-03-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analoggab View Post
Thank you so much guys for your great answers.

The thing is that when I connect the Reader via USB, it doesn't appear like it used to anymore. I'm on a Mac and it doesn't appear on my desktop as "Reader" and it's not recognized by the Reader app either...

So I don't have access and can't try deleting books and so forth.
Is that a bad sign?
Even if frozen it should show up on my computer?

thanks guys!
So appreciated.

Did you get out a small paperclip or pin and press the reset button?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As a last desperation measure try re-setting (paper clip)while plugged in it appears it is not even getting far enough along in the boot sequence to register as a device on your pc you may be looking at Sony service..
Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
Analoggab

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did you get out a small paperclip or pin and press the reset button?
Yes!! I tried like a hundred of times!!

Quote:
As a last desperation measure try re-setting (paper clip)while plugged in it appears it is not even getting far enough along in the boot sequence to register as a device on your pc you may be looking at Sony service..
Yes I had tried that as well. Sometimes it would seem to reboot but would always come back and get stuck on Opening Book. And then the Reader would start a sort of reboot sequence by its own, always getting stuck at Opening Book.

Really nothing I can do? Like a key combination for a harder reset, a wipe-out, anything!?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Can you connect other devices on that same USB port and cable and are they seen? Or did you try another port and cable?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #12
bla
E bookworm

Looks like you might need a hard reset... there are instructions elsewhere on this forum on how to do that... good luck
Old 02-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #13
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Sometimes it would seem to reboot but would always come back and get stuck on Opening Book. And then the Reader would start a sort of reboot sequence by its own, always getting stuck at Opening Book.
When my prs-505 restarts, which it does with some books, it returns to the home page after a soft reset. Are you going back to the 'faulty' book and trying to re-open it, or does the reader try to do this on its own?

Usually, this is a battery issue. You may have to contact Sony support, a bla suggested.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #14
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:

There have been comments in other threads that leaving the reader plugged into a computer overnight might actually drain the battery when the computer goes into sleep mode. It is better to plug it into a wall socket for a decent charge. You might have actually drained the battery some leaving it in the computer.

Do you remember when you first had problems, did it happen when a book was on the screen or when the reader was at the home screen. I make a habit of always returning to the the home screen when I am finished reading. That way, hopefully, I am avoiding any problems restarting and it trying to re-enter a book. (although, my husband just leaves his where he is in a book, and has had no problems.)

AJ

PS I beliee there have been many problems with the Readerstore program, and it trying to sync the ereader. My suggest is get rid of the Readerstore software and don't use it.

Last edited by AJ Starr; 02-07-2013 at 09:58 AM.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #15
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:

That'll do it. You've completely drained the battery. Do NOT leave it connected to your computer overnight. Your computer goes into standby or sleep mode & your reader battery will not charge. In fact, it'll actually drain it.

If you want to get your reader working, plug it into the wall with the AC charger. If you have a smartphone take a look at the charger for it. Does it use the micro USB, if so, use that to charge the reader. It will need to stay plugged into the wall for several hours to bring up a charge and then to complete the charge. You've drained it completely. That's why you can't do anything with it.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote