Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 12:44 AM   #16
Aerys
Connoisseur
Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.

Device: iPad 2 & Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks, again, Aerys - it worked like a charm except that as you say it uses the HTML ToC and not the one in the toc.ncx file. Is there any way of being able to show the one in the toc.ncx file?
AFAIK, there isn't a way to specify due to a difference in how KF7 and KF8 mobi files are built by KindleGen.

You know it's hard to control if a READER is using KF7 or KF8 so it just makes more sense to have the HTML TOC and NCX contain the same entries rather than having diminished usability of the TOC for a reader using the KF7 one.
Aerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:18 AM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatwood View Post
If you haven't already, you might try adding:

Code:
html {
        -webkit-line-box-contain: block inline replaced !important;
}
I've seen this fix some subtle problems with the behavior of some floating elements near the tops of pages in some of my books. It probably won't help in your case, given that you're dealing with an image rather than a glyph, but if it does, let me know.
Well, I haven't quite tried it THAT way, but, hell...at this point, I'd join a cult and sacrifice goats (okay...that part is a lie) if it helped. I've been cursing this book for bloody days. I'll try it.

As always, thanks. And for anyone else out there: even if you think your idea is wacky, or that I've "probably" tried it--never hesitate to speak up. I'm always appreciative of input, and newbs coming along may NOT know some of the tricks--so all that input has value. ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #18
B10Mediaworx
Elizabeth Beeton
B10Mediaworx began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Galaxy Note II, eBookWise-1150 (yes, really)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerys View Post
You need to add the "TOC" entry in the GUIDE section of the OPF in order for the TOC option to be made available (see below).

Code:
<guide>

<reference href="Text/Frontmatter.html#coverpage" type="cover"/>
            <reference href="Text/Frontmatter.html#coverpage" title="Start here" type="other.start"/>
        <reference href="Text/Frontmatter.html#TOC" title="Table of Contents" type="toc"/>

</guide>
You are a sweetheart and I will love you forever. I have been looking for this solution for over a year.

B10Mediaworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #19
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Re: "frontmatter" in the ncx toc, here's my theory.

Any item that is in the toc (HTML? and/or NCX? -- ours are usually identical), but preceeds the "start reading location" is assumed to be frontmatter. This, like all good theories, is based on one anecdotal instance in which all the usual epub-like guide items are there (title page, copyright, dedication, etc.) but don't appear in either TOC, yet there was one item in the TOC (a map) which wasn't in the guide, of course, but did end up in frontmatter.

And by the way since I have a FireHD but don't have a Fire, I wonder whether the different behaviors are reflected in the Kindle emulator?

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
Re: "frontmatter" in the ncx toc, here's my theory.

Any item that is in the toc (HTML? and/or NCX? -- ours are usually identical), but preceeds the "start reading location" is assumed to be frontmatter. This, like all good theories, is based on one anecdotal instance in which all the usual epub-like guide items are there (title page, copyright, dedication, etc.) but don't appear in either TOC, yet there was one item in the TOC (a map) which wasn't in the guide, of course, but did end up in frontmatter.

And by the way since I have a FireHD but don't have a Fire, I wonder whether the different behaviors are reflected in the Kindle emulator?

Albert
Hey, Albert:

Well, y'know, I don't think that the emulator reflects the differences, because we have the ncx versus html toc issue (the FireHD 8.98 uses the ncx, and the Fire doesn't; don't actually know factually about the Fire HD). What I care about is the inability to move frontmatter around as I see fit, or more importantly, as dictated by the client. As stated in my original rant about the frontmatter/toc issue, when we put an important Treasure Hunt clue (for real treasure, in the real world) in the frontmatter, prior to the TOC, Amazon stoutly refused--refused--to move the SRL to the clue page, (intro) where we'd put it.

We've basically determined to deal with it simply--not my nature, as you all know--and keep frontmatter frontmatter and put anything that "must be read" after the TOC. What I have fought against is trying to put the TOC first, because I think that reeks of amateursville, but, this "nothing before the TOC can be the SRL" issue is a PITA. On the other hand, Amazon just published a book of ours in which the top of every chapter is displaying all the first lines of the XHTML, so, isn't THAT fun? (They've been having major intake issues for days, with errors [=screaming clients, "what's wrong with my file!!!!"], so my hope is that once they've decided to stop improving whatever the freak needs "improving" this time, it will be fixed).

The issue I have is, sure, we all have to keep up with the latest this and that, but the Russian Roulette version of ebook-making (will this work on K4iPad THIS week?) is just really frustrating and worse, for me, expensive. I mean, it's like almost every book is the first book one's made, if you see what I'm saying; one bloody surprise after another. Still screwing around with image-crafting for images (like fluerons, or chapter-head images) that are not full-sized, to work on all Kindle devices perfectly. It's an endless battle.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #21
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Hey, Albert:

... [snip] ...

The issue I have is, sure, we all have to keep up with the latest this and that, but the Russian Roulette version of ebook-making (will this work on K4iPad THIS week?) is just really frustrating and worse, for me, expensive. I mean, it's like almost every book is the first book one's made, if you see what I'm saying; one bloody surprise after another. Still screwing around with image-crafting for images (like fluerons, or chapter-head images) that are not full-sized, to work on all Kindle devices perfectly. It's an endless battle.

Hitch
Preach it, Sistah!

Hoo boy, do I feel your pain. I recommend heavy doses of the Serenity Prayer, and lighter doses of Wild Turkey.

As for the emulator, I can't experiment ATM because of a big thunderstorm that prompted me to shut down the non-essential servers (including my Windows boxen) but IIRC I know it doesn't accurately emulate the "go to" menu item in that it lists all the guide items (even the non-supported ones) and they function. For all devices, I think.

So once the storm passes, I will gin up (or is that Jinn up?) a test case with different HTML and NCX toc's and see how it goes. I would hate to have to buy another couple of Kindles but if that's what it takes...

Thanks for the info and, as always, your masterly (not "masterful") rants.

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote