Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #46
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcapelo View Post
Everything its working and I am now running some battery test to figure out how long it will last keeping kobo on all the time and updating weather every hour.
From my testing, my Kobo Wifi can't even go 12 hours before dying while running the
weather display. The problem is that wifi is on all the time. If I could find a way to turn
off wifi and then turn it on only once every hour when the forecast updates then the Kobo
would last MUCH longer before running out of power.

I really need to enable USB networking on my Kobo Wifi so I can more easily look into
starting and stopping the wifi connection, but I just got a Glo, so my Wifi might get left behind.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #47
sven
Enthusiast
sven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Maybe this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195514 can give you some hints. I am not sure, but if you would killall wpa_supplicant, the Wifi should be disabled. Additionally you could remove the wifi kernel module. On my Kobo touch I can do this by rmmod ar6000.ko (lsmod will list you all modules).
sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #48
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, that thread looks like it has some good information. When I get some time I'll see what I can do.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:32 AM   #49
ro-76
ro-76 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket PC
Kobo Framed

Hi Kevin

This is a super hack.

I bought a cheap Ikea ribba frame and mounted the Kobo wifi in the frame with a new mount to fit the screen size of the Kobo. I took off the front bezel of the Kobo to allow it to fit flush with the mount. I modified a mini usb connector and chiseled out some of the frame to connect a power cord. You can see a tiny twisted white wire on the left of the image that carries the power to the Kobo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo2.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	96476  
ro-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #50
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ro-76 View Post
Hi Kevin

This is a super hack.

I bought a cheap Ikea ribba frame and mounted the Kobo wifi in the frame with a new mount to fit the screen size of the Kobo. I took off the front bezel of the Kobo to allow it to fit flush with the mount. I modified a mini usb connector and chiseled out some of the frame to connect a power cord. You can see a tiny twisted white wire on the left of the image that carries the power to the Kobo.
Nice! That's what I'd like to do too.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #51
KevinShort
Addict

Quote:
Hi Kevin

This is a super hack.

Awesome, I've been thinking it would be neat to do something just like this.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #52
hecq
hecq began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Hey Kevin, I'm trying out your script on my Kobo Mini.

It installs fine but eventually hangs.

Code:
[root@(none) koboWeather]# /mnt/onboard/.python/weather.sh 

For the weather forecast to work, please enter your latitude and longitude.
There is an easy to use map at http://stereopsis.com/flux/map.html

Enter your latitude: [redacted]
Enter your longitude: [redacted]
Just a moment . . .
Kobo Wifi weather forecast started.
Getting weather information . . .
Creating image . . .
init kbd.
init mouse failed.
And it hangs on init mouse failed, nothing happens after that.

it seems I have a 16 bit frame buffer, as per fbset
Code:
[root@(none) /]# fbset

mode "800x600-0"
        # D: 0.000 MHz, H: 0.000 kHz, V: 0.000 Hz
        geometry 800 600 800 1280 16
        timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
        accel false
        rgba 5/11,6/5,5/0,0/0
endmode
Any ideas?
hecq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #53
KevinShort
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hecq View Post
Hey Kevin, I'm trying out your script on my Kobo Mini.

It installs fine but eventually hangs.

Code:
[root@(none) koboWeather]# /mnt/onboard/.python/weather.sh 

For the weather forecast to work, please enter your latitude and longitude.
There is an easy to use map at http://stereopsis.com/flux/map.html

Enter your latitude: [redacted]
Enter your longitude: [redacted]
Just a moment . . .
Kobo Wifi weather forecast started.
Getting weather information . . .
Creating image . . .
init kbd.
init mouse failed.
And it hangs on init mouse failed, nothing happens after that.
Did you stop the Kobo's GUI by running "killall nickel" before you started
the script? Nickel and pygame don't play very nicely together.
If you press CTRL+C when pygame hangs you can get it to run alongside
nickel, but that won't work if you want to start the script via the plugin interface.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #54
hecq
hecq began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Indeed, I didn't stop the Kobo GUI. It works now but with a lot of ghosting from whatever image was displayed before.

How can I go back to the Kobo GUI after that? Is there a “cleaner” way to run it than removing the back cover and pressing reset? i.e. have it the Extras like the Browser etc?

Last edited by hecq; 11-25-2012 at 02:18 PM.
hecq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #55
ro-76
ro-76 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket PC
I have a question about changing the source of the weather data. How difficult is that?

The reason I ask is because the accuracy of the data where I live in Dublin is not very good. Today for example it was sunny until about noon, then started to rain and has rained heavily for about six eight hours now. The forecast still says sunny even though it's updating hourly.

I went to worldweatheronline and looked up my location on the map. When I click on the location, the popular shows sunny, but the next line mentions heavy rain and when I click on the detailed forecast, it's actually very accurate. It seems that the summarized data does not update frequently, but the detailed forecast data does.

Is it possible to have the app use the more accurate data?

Thanks
ro-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #56
KevinShort
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hecq View Post
How can I go back to the Kobo GUI after that? Is there a “cleaner” way to run it than removing the back cover and pressing reset? i.e. have it the Extras like the Browser etc?
The simplest way to get back to the Kobo GUI is to run the command "reboot".
To start the weather script from the Kobo GUI, you can use the plugin interface.
I'm considering editing the weather script to check if the power slider is pulled,
and if so restart the device.

Quote:
I have a question about changing the source of the weather data. How difficult is that?

The reason I ask is because the accuracy of the data where I live in Dublin is not very good. Today for example it was sunny until about noon, then started to rain and has rained heavily for about six eight hours now. The forecast still says sunny even though it's updating hourly.

I went to worldweatheronline and looked up my location on the map. When I click on the location, the popular shows sunny, but the next line mentions heavy rain and when I click on the detailed forecast, it's actually very accurate. It seems that the summarized data does not update frequently, but the detailed forecast data does.

Is it possible to have the app use the more accurate data?

Thanks
I think that the problem is that I'm using worldweatheronline's free weather API,
so I'm not getting all the information that they have. I'm not very happy with
their service right now, so when I get some time I'm planning on looking around
for a different free weather service.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #57
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
What about accuweather? I'm using the Firefox plugin 'Forecastfox' and there's also a service to embed weather data in a homepage: http://netweather.accuweather.com/ - Unfortunately they don't have a free API like worldweatheronline. But the source code of 'Forecastfox' provides a lot of infos how to fetch weather data. The only problem could be to set the appropriate city code (cityId).

Here you get an XML, containing current weather in New York, whereby the argument langId=1 stands for English language, 9 for German (partially bad spelling) and so on. And here the Forecast for New York. - But I'm not sure whether one should use this data for an own application ...
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #58
KevinShort
Addict

Hmm, accuweather might work. I have used a desktop weather script that
fetched data from accuweather, and it was quite accurate. As you said, the
city code could be a problem, but I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 12-09-2012, 05:13 AM   #59
mougino
mougino began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 1st gen
Hello, I'm very impressed with this hack. A weather app is a perfect use of the Kobo WiFi since it can refresh through the network. Unfortunately I personnally own a 1st gen Kobo (without WiFi)..

I was thinking to transform my Kobo 1st gen to a perpetual calendar, for my grandmum suffering from Alzheimer's. This would not need any connectivity to show the date and time, name of the day, maybe season.

Would it be theoratically possible to hack the Kobo 1st gen with the same principles used here? Of course a telnet/FTP access would be out of question, but pushing a tarball could be done. I'm guessing if a python script was developped using a Kobo WiFi (for testing) it could eventually be pushed and run on a Kobo 1st gen?

Thanks for any feedback!
mougino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #60
KevinShort
Addict

Hi, mougino, I think that your idea sounds doable. I don't have a 1st gen Kobo
myself, but the chances are pretty good that it could be hacked like the Wifi.

Does the 1st gen Kobo boot from an internal SD card? Hacking obviously has
potential risks, such as bricking your device, and It'd be much safer if you made
a backup of the internal SD card if you can.

Tags
hacking, kobo wifi