Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #1141
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Where did you get those numbers? And for what kind of usage are they (how many hours of reading a day, how many reading sessions a day (switching on and off or on and asleep etc.))?

I'm curious as to why sleep would cost (more) battery. What's it doing when asleep? Nothing right? It changed the screen once to display a book cover and as it's eInk, it doesn't cost any power to maintain the cover on the screen. Off-mode does this too. The only button both sleep and off mode react to is the on/off switch... So where's the difference in power usage?
I got those number by doing a test myself. I normally read twice a day, and so, after a charge, I exclusively used sleep mode only until the battery told me it was time for another charge. I then repeated the experiment using power off each time I used the device. It's an acceptable test to get a rough gauge how long the battery lasts.

In sleep mode the computer is running with the book in memory ready to be displayed - it uses much more power than power off mode

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #1142
scoobertron
Connoisseur
scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo touch
Even if no processes are running, the RAM will need to be powered - just like the difference between suspend and hibernate on a laptop, so it will slowly leech power. On a day to day basis, this might not be much, but if you were going to leave it for a week, power off would be better.

I have found that the battery life is fine with using sleep rather than power off if I am reading daily. I seem to need to charge about once a week or so, which is not so bad (I haven't measured this though - and I am always suprised at how infrequently it seems to need charging). In my experience, the bigger impact is turning the wifi off when you don't need it.
scoobertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #1143
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Thanks ltr and scoobertron, I always wondered! I even asked customer care at one point and from the answer I got it was clear the girly didn't know either.

In that case, DrNefario's idea would be useful: power off after 24h or even 36h or something
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #1144
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobertron View Post
Even if no processes are running, the RAM will need to be powered - just like the difference between suspend and hibernate on a laptop, so it will slowly leech power. On a day to day basis, this might not be much, but if you were going to leave it for a week, power off would be better.

I have found that the battery life is fine with using sleep rather than power off if I am reading daily. I seem to need to charge about once a week or so, which is not so bad (I haven't measured this though - and I am always suprised at how infrequently it seems to need charging). In my experience, the bigger impact is turning the wifi off when you don't need it.
Yes, in fact, my wifi is off most of the time. I only turn it on to get updates when I hear about them here. All my book purchases are loaded via USB.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #1145
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
So with the announcement of the new devices out of the way I wonder what the odds are we'll see a firmware update in the near future?
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #1146
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
So with the announcement of the new devices out of the way I wonder what the odds are we'll see a firmware update in the near future?
I noticed in the promo video for the new devices they feature a new 'kobo slab' font. To bring that to the touch would require an update beyond 2.1.1.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #1147
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Has 2.1.1 been released in the U.S.?
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #1148
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Has 2.1.1 been released in the U.S.?
Not as of yet but Sameer earlier this week promised an update would be coming to us soon.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #1149
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I did a "test" some time ago and here's what I found out (about my Kobo's battery life):

WiFi was off in all 3 "tests" and I only read ePubs.

sleep: 15 minutes
power off: never
firmware 1.9.17

ca. battery life: 2700 page turns in 12 days

sleep: manually every time when putting the Kobo away
power off: 1 hour
firmware 1.9.16

ca. battery life: 4200 page turns in 24 days

sleep: 5 minutes
power off: 10 minutes
firmware 1.9.17

ca. battery life: 4350 page turns in 15 days

So for me, powering off the Kobo and rebooting it when needed (was about 3 times a day) resulted in a far longer battery life (more page turns).

Don't know about firmware 2.1.1 yet (of course, not enough time to test ).
Thanks, Jaden. Sorry I haven't responded sooner, but it has been a funny week, what with setting up a new laptop and starting a new job.

Those battery-life figures are really interesting. I'm still getting what I regard as quite poor battery-life figures, BUT I'm relying on getting to about the same point (3/4 exhausted) on the meter, because I don't want to run out of reading material when travelling. Things should get a bit more stable soon, so I'll try a full-to-flat reading session this time.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #1150
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volpo View Post
Silly question is there a bright or direct light source shining on the Touch? It wouldn't have to be very bright if the angle was correct. I think I notice external light having an effect on the position sensors of the Touch flooding them making them less responsive.
I noticed this on the bus the other day. The screen's sensitivity went down when it was in the sunlight through the window!
Old 09-07-2012, 07:10 AM   #1151
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
There maybe good reason why we don't have it yet and some people are finding that out. A
Yes, there may be a good reason, but why the heck don't Kobo tell us what it is? As I've said before, I think that there are a number of hardware versions, and it is hard for the devs to deal with them all. That was why I was trying to get people to find their hardware versions and post them with the experiences of updating to 2.0.0/.1/.2/2.1.1. There could be some useful information in there that would actually help the devs.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #1152
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
I acquired my KT in May in New Zealand (1.9.16 was the shipped version). Before I had even developed any bad habits, 2.0.0 came along and "bricked" during the update. Being an IT guy, I wanted to find out why and even offered to be a tester. The Kobo techs provided me with 2 or 3 test versions but they all "bricked" as well.

At that point, I gave up as it was taking way too much time. I was now adept at factory resets so had no problem just going back to 1.9.17. Eventually 2.0.0c worked. By now, I had sworn off using Kobo Desktop.

I have no intention of moving to 2.1+ until it is official because :
I was told by a Kobo guy that KT units as shipped to Australia, NZ and parts of the UK had "issues". Let's assume a particular batch.

In the absence of any other info, I assume that the problem is with the "factory copy" that sits there on every KT. Maybe the bit of code that runs the upgrade procedure itself (& not the actual firmware) is the problem. Clearly this "as-shipped factory copy" is NOT the same for everyone.

My point is that assuming this is the case, it is pointless chasing tails over why "my upgrade works and yours doesn't". So I will just wait and keep regularly lurking here.
That's what I'm trying to get at with the request for ID and version numbers. My KT has had no problems with the update process, but the ID seems to be for a completely different model of Kobo.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #1153
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to drop by and say that all our customers will be benefiting from the work we did on the 2.1+ versions of the Kobo Touch software very soon. It is top-of-mind for me given the positive feedback we have been receiving on it to-date. I definitely do not want to keep it from you any longer than necessary.

As some folks have already mentioned, to be on the safe side, I would not recommend installing the build yourself before receiving it through our upgrade process.

As usual, I can't share exact timeframes for when the software will be available, but please know that it's not far off. Thank you for bearing with us so far, and stay tuned.

Thanks,
Sameer.
Thank you, Sameer. Good to hear from you.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #1154
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Yes, there may be a good reason, but why the heck don't Kobo tell us what it is? As I've said before, I think that there are a number of hardware versions, and it is hard for the devs to deal with them all. That was why I was trying to get people to find their hardware versions and post them with the experiences of updating to 2.0.0/.1/.2/2.1.1. There could be some useful information in there that would actually help the devs.
Maybe you should start a new thread with the hardware version request... People might not see it at the end of a looooooong discussion about something else that they've long lost interest in...?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:01 AM   #1155
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Maybe you should start a new thread with the hardware version request... People might not see it at the end of a looooooong discussion about something else that they've long lost interest in...?
As I've come to expect from you, that is a very sensible suggestion, Mrs_Often! Part of it has been my enforced absence from the board for the last week, but the other is that I was reluctant to push it forward because the means of getting the ID is not straight-forward, as you helped me discover. However, since it is likely to be only the technically-minded that have a go anyway, that doesn't really matter, does it?

I'll put together a post that covers Windows and Mac (I don't think anyone got back with a Linux solution), and start a new thread later today.