Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-26-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
technomom
Enthusiast
technomom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, iPhone 12 mini
Question Validate is there sometimes, and sometimes it isn't

Sorry to bring this up again, but it seems my validate is there sometimes, and sometimes it isn't. I've uploaded a screenshot showing the "isn't" view - I didn't change anything at all.

http://technomom.com/sigilnoval.jpg

When this is the case, Ctrl + Shift + V does nothing at all.

I did a little testing, and it seems to happen when I launch Sigil by clicking on a file. If I use the start menu shortcut, I get the validate option, but I lose some of my menus, like Format and Tools.

http://technomom.com/sigilnotools.jpg

I'm running version 5.3 on a 64-bit version of Windows Home Premium.

Thank you!
technomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:57 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You miss even more buttons.

Actually, I almost always open Sigil by clicking on a file. I never seen this problem. Have you tried uninstalling and then install again?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2012, 03:48 AM   #3
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Have you got more than one version of Sigil installed?

When both those screenshots taken was the epub opened the same way?

You could have *.epub filetype to open with say Sigil v0.5.3, but have a shortcut on desktop for Sigil v0.5.9.2 (beta).

So depending on how you're opening, you could have different version opened, thus the difference in layout/features.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
To see if Perkin has it right,
Click Help: about each time and report the Sigil version(s) that show
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #5
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
You can rule out 0.5.901 & 0.5.902 as the buttons for text manipulation are shown on the toolbar and not in the Book-View frame.

Can't remember which version Flight Crew was added to Sigil - 0.5.0?

Doesn't narrow it too far, but it does rule out the beta builds. I see no reason why you would want two proper releases I can understand having a beta and a standard release though), so I'd assume this would be screenshots from the same version.

Let's wait to see what they say.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
technomom
Enthusiast

Perkin was right - an ancient version (0.2.3, I think?) was installed, but not showing up in remove programs or anywhere else. I deleted it and cleaned out its remnants, used Revo Uninstaller Pro to completely remove Sigil, rebooted, then reinstalled.

But now I'm still left with the problem where the current version doesn't have all its proper menus as shown in http://technomom.com/sigilnotools.jpg :-( Any suggestions there?

Thank you!
Cyn
Old 07-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
But now I'm still left with the problem where the current version doesn't have all its proper menus as shown in http://technomom.com/sigilnotools.jpg :-( Any suggestions there?
Take a look at View->Toolbars and make sure any missing toolbars are not simply unchecked.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by technomom View Post
Perkin was right - an ancient version (0.2.3, I think?) was installed, but not showing up in remove programs or anywhere else. I deleted it and cleaned out its remnants, used Revo Uninstaller Pro to completely remove Sigil, rebooted, then reinstalled.

Thank you!
Cyn
A quick look, it seems OK to me (I use a different layout. You can drag each toolbar section around):

Look in the View Menu at the top and see if the missing item has lost its tick.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
If still not showing after DiapDealers advice, do theducks advice as in Post#4, and report which version is being run.

(if it's not up to date version, that could be why.)
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
technomom
Enthusiast

The version being run is definitely 0.5.3. I've searched my system and there are no other versions lurking elsewhere now.

All the toolbar items are checked and displaying. The View menu doesn't have an option to choose which menus are displayed, and it's the Tools menu that's missing. Unless that's not in 0.5.3? If not, how does one edit the metadata?

http://technomom.com/sigilviewmenu.jpg

Should I have started a new thread for this issue?

Thanks,
Cyn
Old 07-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #11
technomom
Enthusiast

There isn't a tools menu now, is there - it's under Edit. ::sigh::
Old 07-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Trust me. It seems like everything is "right there" and should be a piece of cake to find. But I'm all the time discovering little things I've never seen before.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
technomom
Enthusiast

Thank you for being so patient and helpful, everybody!

Tags
format, launch, menus, tools, validate