Notices

Old 10-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #136
ktwombley
Connoisseur
ktwombley began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
the trouble is that I don not even have fb2 folder and consequently nothing in that file
you're not getting the kernel modules insmod'ed in that case.

What all is going on with your PE? can you fill me in on the history?
ktwombley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:18 PM   #137
ktwombley
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by vldmr View Post
Hm, just tried it now allmine is installed on it and it does show real sn (13 digits starting with M), not the one that I put into /system/serial_number - (14 hex digits).

This serial number business is really annoying - the usb device properties have serial number 0123456789ABCDEF on both EE and PE, as result it is not possible to connect ADB over usb to both of them simultaneously. I had to install ADBwireless on EE.

The reason is ro.serialno is empty, ESI did not set up platform properties correctly. The ro.esi.device.sn is set and correct though. I was trying to set ro.serialno using setprop in startup scripts but that did not work for me.

No I have to figure out why EE lost hibernate ability after allmine (ermine?), although I set ro.product.name and ro.product.device to edge
Sorry to confuse you.

There's the *REAL SERIAL NUMBER*, and the *FAKE ALLMINE SERIAL NUMBER*.

Getting the real one involves writing SERIAL_NUMBER into that pipe and then reading the output.

Getting the fake allmine sn involves just opening up the /system/serial_number file and reading it.

As part of allmine, I patched the call that android uses to get your device's IMEI to get the fake allmine SN rather than the real one. And then I just get your real serial number and use a 0 to pad it to be long enough to trick google into thinking it's an IMEI. I never considered that EE's would have other characters in their serial. Whoops! We could figure out a way to just make up serials or something.
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #138
vldmr
Bigendian confidologist
vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: edge & edgejr
Suggested addition to allmine

So javese started pumping out applications using eink display through direct access to frame buffer device. The device file normally does not allow write access to everyone, so javese makes his applications running as root, which is not good for any complicated application that may have bugs.

I thought that it would make sense to add to allmine installer script an action to modify startup script (init.rc maybe) to change the permission of /dev/graphics/fb2 during startup.

ktwombley: would be willing to look into that? Or I could look into it and send you patch to include in your next release?
vldmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #139
vldmr
Bigendian confidologist
vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hey, that is the part that intrigues me the most
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktwombley View Post
As part of allmine, I patched the call that android uses to get your device's IMEI
So what did you use to look into the code in framework.jar All classes there are inside .dex blob, which is not normal java code. Is there a tool you could recommend?

I would be looking into patching Settings.apk application on edge.senior so that it would not disable power saving preferences on that device
Old 10-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #140
ktwombley
Connoisseur

Quote:
So javese started pumping out applications using eink display through direct access to frame buffer device. The device file normally does not allow write access to everyone, so javese makes his applications running as root, which is not good for any complicated application that may have bugs.

I thought that it would make sense to add to allmine installer script an action to modify startup script (init.rc maybe) to change the permission of /dev/graphics/fb2 during startup.

ktwombley: would be willing to look into that? Or I could look into it and send you patch to include in your next release?
dude that is a great idea! If you want to look into it and give me a patch or something I can incorporate it. If I have time I can look into it too.
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #141
ktwombley
Connoisseur

Quote:

So what did you use to look into the code in framework.jar All classes there are inside .dex blob, which is not normal java code. Is there a tool you could recommend?

I would be looking into patching Settings.apk application on edge.senior so that it would not disable power saving preferences on that device
for framework.jar I used baksmali/smali.

To modify an apk look for a tool called apktool. it intelligently unpacks apk files and then uses baksmali/smali to decompile it.

So get all of those.

the only problem is that it can't decompile jars and dexes into java code, it decompiles into a weird mishmash of java and assembly called smali for lack of a better term. It's not very well documented, but just googling smali to find the tools will get you some examples.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #142
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:

I like this method the best right now:

http://androidorigin.blogspot.com/20...ar-format.html

Apktool is very good but it's becoming outdated fast and haven't been updated for a while. And it fails (crashes) on non-trival (big in size) apps. But when it works it generates the best AndroidManifest and handles resources properly.

Last edited by ptsenter; 10-20-2011 at 12:21 PM.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #143
vldmr
Bigendian confidologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktwombley View Post
dude that is a great idea! If you want to look into it and give me a patch or something I can incorporate it. If I have time I can look into it too.
Ok, here goes. The script /system/esi/bin/start_epd.sh executes at startup and loads all esi modules, so I've chosen to add permission fix to it. It turned out that fb2 does not exist at the time when the script is finshed. So I had to spawn another script to wait for device file to appear before fixing it.

It could be incorporated in allmine in the following way:

Add the following line somewhere in update.sh:

echo /system/esi/bin/eink_permissions.sh \& >> $ANDROID_ROOT/system/esi/bin/start_epd.sh

and add a file eink_permissions.sh into system/esi/bin/ in allmine.zip with the following contents:

####################
#!/system/esi/bin/busybox sh
while [ ! -e /dev/graphics/fb2 ]; do
sleep 1
done
/system/esi/bin/busybox chmod 666 /dev/graphics/fb2
####################
Old 10-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #144
vldmr
Bigendian confidologist

Replacing Settings.apk -- failed

ktwombley, ptsenter - thanks for hints, both tools complements each other nicely

So I did disassembled Settings.apk, located rogue code responsible for disabling power saving settings on anything except edgejr:
Quote:
public class Settings extends PreferenceActivity
{
protected void onCreate(Bundle paramBundle)
{
if (Utilities.getDeviceType() == 12) // Type 12is edgejr
return;
int j = Log.d("Settings", "Not pocket device removing power saving settings");
// deletes preferences here
}
}
Removed offending code in smali replacing it with single return, rebuilt using apktool, signed, aligned, all is good, but install fails:
Quote:
$ adb install -r Settings/dist/Settings.aligned.apk
361 KB/s (1416294 bytes in 3.821s)
pkg: /data/local/tmp/Settings.aligned.apk
Failure [INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES]
So it won't let me replace app with a new one signed by a different sertificate. Replacing apk file with new one does not work. Uninstalling com.android.settings does not work. Hand editing /data/system/packages.xml does not work.

This paranoic signing business drives me nuts. I give up. If anyone wants it to give it another try, i can send modified Settings.apk
Old 10-22-2011, 06:19 AM   #145
theonik
theonik began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge
Unable to use TTS feature

I read all the instructions very carefully.
Previously I upgraded the device to Froyo using USB flash.
Now, after reading all the instructions, I tryed to install allmine and gapps, using USB stick, I tryed also to downgrade to donut, but without any change. It just reseted all definitions.

What is the purpose of micro SD card ? Is it need to be inside during the installations ?

I need to use TTS feature. I tryed to install PICO from http://areacellphone.com/2010/01/dow...age-installer/ (is it a good one?) .
Accordinge to one's advice, I installed CoolReader.
What should I do in order to activate that function ?
I'm trying to do that near 2 month (since I bought Pocket Edge).
I will be grateful for your assistance.

Last edited by theonik; 10-22-2011 at 06:25 AM.
theonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #146
Chevalier529
Chevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enough

Device: EnTourage Edge Pocket
ptsenter- You're a bright guy at least from all the posts I've read. Could you tolerate teaching down to a child so-to-speak? I'm a:
non-tech new to scene own Entourage Poceket Edge Jr need market upgrades steps and the more I read here, the more I get lost and confused/disheartened. My book may become nothing more than a paperweight. lol.
I sent this out via Android community forums site...But I know you're the person to go to that best can help me from what I've read (hint, stroke. )

There are a lot of you bright computer techs out there speaking way above my computer lingo and knowledge...and I'm lost! I just got my Entourage pocket Edge Jr with OS 1.6 dingo on it with a 1.8 update. I've got PE Ermine zip loaded to MSDcard and know I need to load the V1.01 beta from vicinc over at Woot but afraid to add that one too for fear of borking my book.

And after all this, does this mean I have Froyo then loaded? If not, what steps need I take to get that loaded?

Then what do I need and what steps must I take to get a fully functioning Market on my PE Jr?

And again, please remember I'm computer dense and need laymen language and baby stepped through. THNX much for any and all help provided.

All this talk @ ?rooting with z4? and using phones with ?Titanium backup?...I am soooo lost. And this ?LauncherPro??

I was told @ a site Android Community - For Application Development but can't get it loaded up...supposed to have full "unadualterated access to the Market without restrictions..."

Request HELP. Don't know how to repay you but other than to pass what I've learned on to others like me and reiterate my thanks to the good samaritan computer genious that takes the time to help me. (I was a logistician in the US Marines; not a computer tech.) Regards, ptsenter//
Chevalier529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #147
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier529 View Post
ptsenter- You're a bright guy at least from all the posts I've read. Could you tolerate teaching down to a child so-to-speak? I'm a:
non-tech new to scene own Entourage Poceket Edge Jr need market upgrades steps and the more I read here, the more I get lost and confused/disheartened. My book may become nothing more than a paperweight. lol.
I sent this out via Android community forums site...But I know you're the person to go to that best can help me from what I've read (hint, stroke. )

There are a lot of you bright computer techs out there speaking way above my computer lingo and knowledge...and I'm lost! I just got my Entourage pocket Edge Jr with OS 1.6 dingo on it with a 1.8 update. I've got PE Ermine zip loaded to MSDcard and know I need to load the V1.01 beta from vicinc over at Woot but afraid to add that one too for fear of borking my book.

And after all this, does this mean I have Froyo then loaded? If not, what steps need I take to get that loaded?

Then what do I need and what steps must I take to get a fully functioning Market on my PE Jr?

And again, please remember I'm computer dense and need laymen language and baby stepped through. THNX much for any and all help provided.

All this talk @ ?rooting with z4? and using phones with ?Titanium backup?...I am soooo lost. And this ?LauncherPro??

I was told @ a site Android Community - For Application Development but can't get it loaded up...supposed to have full "unadualterated access to the Market without restrictions..."

Request HELP. Don't know how to repay you but other than to pass what I've learned on to others like me and reiterate my thanks to the good samaritan computer genious that takes the time to help me. (I was a logistician in the US Marines; not a computer tech.) Regards, ptsenter//
FIRST thing - learn what your PE can do as it stands.

When you know how to use it then you will want to upgrade to 2.2 BUT remember that is BETA software and may cause problems.

DO NOT try rooting your PE unless YOU KNOW EXACTLY what you are doing - in 99% of usage it is not necessary to root the PE, in fact many of the problems you read of here have been caused by doing just that.

Having access to the Android market is not essential - in fact several of the newer apps available there do not work on the PE, you have to go to alternative sites and download older versions that do work.

To update to v 2.2 you need the PE Ermine update.zip - make absolutely sure it is the PE one otherwise you will be in real trouble. Then read the updating threads on this forum to learn what you must do and how to sidestep the problems that might appear.

It would also help if you read more if the threads on this forum about using your PE.

Basically I am saying 'learn to walk before you try to run', that way you don't end up flat on your face with a nice expensive door stop.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #148
Chevalier529
Chevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enough

Device: EnTourage Edge Pocket
Thnx, Ivanjt. You've lifted the curtain and calmed what I felt to be a need given all these postings. I appreciate your input and sagacity. Yes, walking is much better than a panting run and fall...and a newly bought paperweight. My regards.
Chevalier529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:16 AM   #149
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonik View Post
I read all the instructions very carefully.
Previously I upgraded the device to Froyo using USB flash.
Now, after reading all the instructions, I tryed to install allmine and gapps, using USB stick, I tryed also to downgrade to donut, but without any change. It just reseted all definitions.

What is the purpose of micro SD card ? Is it need to be inside during the installations ?

I need to use TTS feature. I tryed to install PICO from http://areacellphone.com/2010/01/dow...age-installer/ (is it a good one?) .
Accordinge to one's advice, I installed CoolReader.
What should I do in order to activate that function ?
I'm trying to do that near 2 month (since I bought Pocket Edge).
I will be grateful for your assistance.
About TTS, was successful with the installer you used but used Wordplayer instead of Coolreader. Look on Orkitra site
http://androiddev.orkitra.com/download/apps/ for
Books Wordplayer and Speech for Wordplayer, and install both.

P.S. If having unsuccessful downloads from Orkitra, try the Xscope browser download feature.

Last edited by glow; 10-23-2011 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:18 PM   #150
johnseeking
keeper of the cheese
johnseeking began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet (mine), 2nd Gen Kindle 3G (wife's), Literati (kids')
Quote:
Hm, looks like DTG cares about different setting in build.properties.

Changed this:
ro.product.name=passion
to this:
ro.product.name=edgejr

using busybox vi and restarted - DTG agree to create new documents now. Market still seem to work. No further testing done
So I've downloaded and installed busybox and android terminal emulator. How would I go about doing this?

EDIT : Never mind! There is a free office suite up at Amazon appstore today! Thanks anyhow.

Last edited by johnseeking; 10-26-2011 at 07:17 AM.
johnseeking is offline   Reply With Quote