Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-09-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
wdahab
wdahab began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
BAD BUSINESS PRACTICES, SONY REWARDS

I am sorry to say to everyone who has ordered a Sony Reader from the Sony Card for $50 promotion and was reassured that though their products were unbelievably delayed, they would still receive the original offer of $50 in e-books and 50 classic books, they were lied to.

My Reader finally arrived today, nearly 4 weeks after it was ordered (not after I first sent away for the Sony card, but after the Reader itself was ordered), which is well past the guaranteed 2 week deadline. Of course, this is past the few days it took to actually get the offered deal, due to Sony Rewards awful website that requires you to request an extra 25 points to actually receive any offers. The box was shipped on the 30th, one day before the offer deadline expired, without a tracking number (who ships expensive pieces of electronics with now way to confirm whether it actually arrived?) and arrived looking like it had been through a laundry machine, 10 days later (past the guaranteed 9 days shipping time that USPS offers). I had been reassured by the Sony Rewards representatives that because this incredibly long wait was caused by their shipping delays and that I had ordered the reader with more than 2 weeks before the deadline ended, I would still receive that original offer because I did not want the offer that followed it. The current 100 classic ebooks offered are out of copyright and practically worthless, as you can download them for free from so many sites. They claim it is worth $200, which is just not true. I had already selected the $50 I was going to purchase, and I was expecting to purchase many more than that. Now that it feels as though any books I purchase are already owed to me, it is unlikely that I will buy any from them.

I know others whose Readers suffered similar delays called Sony Rewards and were reassured they would also receive the original offer. They will soon find that they were also lied to, to appease them at the time, until they receive their Readers and are told with empty apologies that there is nothing that they can do for you. I have sent an email to Sony Connect (they do not appear to have a phone number, for some reason), in the hopes that they can help me and rectify this situation, though I understand they are in no obligation to help me in this matter. I simply hope that they show good will and rectify this situation.
wdahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:59 PM   #2
eumesmo
Connoisseur
eumesmo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eumesmo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eumesmo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Sony is a dinosaur, I shutter to think how much they disrupt technological development with their hands in your every pocket, their nutted software, firmware, hardware, and their money grabbing motived constant blunders.
eumesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #3
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdahab View Post
I am sorry to say to everyone who has ordered a Sony Reader from the Sony Card for $50 promotion and was reassured that though their products were unbelievably delayed, they would still receive the original offer of $50 in e-books and 50 classic books, they were lied to.

My Reader finally arrived today, nearly 4 weeks after it was ordered (not after I first sent away for the Sony card, but after the Reader itself was ordered), which is well past the guaranteed 2 week deadline. Of course, this is past the few days it took to actually get the offered deal, due to Sony Rewards awful website that requires you to request an extra 25 points to actually receive any offers. The box was shipped on the 30th, one day before the offer deadline expired, without a tracking number (who ships expensive pieces of electronics with now way to confirm whether it actually arrived?) and arrived looking like it had been through a laundry machine, 10 days later (past the guaranteed 9 days shipping time that USPS offers). I had been reassured by the Sony Rewards representatives that because this incredibly long wait was caused by their shipping delays and that I had ordered the reader with more than 2 weeks before the deadline ended, I would still receive that original offer because I did not want the offer that followed it. The current 100 classic ebooks offered are out of copyright and practically worthless, as you can download them for free from so many sites. They claim it is worth $200, which is just not true. I had already selected the $50 I was going to purchase, and I was expecting to purchase many more than that. Now that it feels as though any books I purchase are already owed to me, it is unlikely that I will buy any from them.

I know others whose Readers suffered similar delays called Sony Rewards and were reassured they would also receive the original offer. They will soon find that they were also lied to, to appease them at the time, until they receive their Readers and are told with empty apologies that there is nothing that they can do for you. I have sent an email to Sony Connect (they do not appear to have a phone number, for some reason), in the hopes that they can help me and rectify this situation, though I understand they are in no obligation to help me in this matter. I simply hope that they show good will and rectify this situation.
Um. Have you actually activated the reader to find that you have no credits??? The unit I received on warranty replacement 8 days ago gave me the credits on activation, with the ability to use them until the 31st of this month.

The credit for ebooks, at least on the two units I have, comes with activating the Reader through the Connect software.
Edit to add: The Reader offer does say that the device must be authorized by 7/31, but I authorized mine on 8/1 or 8/2 just fine and got the credit is why I'm asking... Checking a little further, it seems like they may have extended it through 8/2 activations, while the Classics offer is continuing through the end of September.

Finally, look at http://www.learningcenter.sony.us/assets/itpd/reader/ , point 9 for rewards, the fine print. It says that your first purchase must be before September 30, 2007 and entire credit must be used by August 31, 2007. The offer was good through June 30, 2007.

So I guess I'm not really understanding what you haven't gotten, or how you haven't gotten it yet.

And the value of the Classic books as I saw them was $100. (50 ebooks priced at $1.99.) Not $200.

Yes, you can get them at PG or lots of places, but for me the preformatting into LRF is more than worth $1.99 per book, considering that it usually takes me a full evening plus (2-6 hours) to get a PG book perfectly formatted for the Reader. My time is worth more than $1.00 per hour, even in leisure.

Sorry, but I disagree that it isn't a good deal. It's not $150 of today's bestsellers, but it's still pretty good.

But I do hope that you are successful with your emails in getting your credit. So far I've found Sony CS very helpful on a warranty issue.

Last edited by LaughingVulcan; 08-09-2007 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Added paragraphs
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:10 PM   #4
KaiGoth
Enthusiast
KaiGoth began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500 & PRS700
Never mind.

I will continue enjoying my much more expensive purchase of your same product regardless of your overreacting whines.

Last edited by KaiGoth; 08-09-2007 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Much too bitchy of a response.
KaiGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:28 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdahab View Post
Quote:
Question
How do I contact Customer Service for CONNECT eBooks?

Answer
You can contact the eBook Customer Support Team via email or by phone at 877-CNECTME (877-263-2863).

Our hours of Support are (Central Time):

9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday and 10am to 2pm, Saturday and Sunday.
Now you have the phone number to call and contact Sony. I had an issue with my Wife's computer and Connect and it was sorted while I was on the phone. If you've activated your reader and gotten the wrong sort of credit, then give them a call while you are at your computer with your reader plugged into the USB and Connect running and logged intot he Connect store so you can make sure it's correct.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2007, 10:42 PM   #6
rwsimon
Connoisseur
rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 2 Sony PRS-500s, iPad
My experience with Sony Rewards on all this was very positive. I ordered my Reader on 7/19. It didn't arrive until 8/3 and I was away at the time. When I returned on the 6th, I emailed them about the $50 book credit issue and they responded by giving me a code to enter into the Connect site which immediately gave me the credit on my account. Incidentally, I had already been given the 100 classic book credit when I authorized my Reader. So I have no complaints!
rwsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:41 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Geez - talk about over-reaction!

Have you actually tried to ask Sony to give you the $50 credit? In every case I have heard of where a Reader has been ordered before the deadline, but arrived after it, Sony have promptly issued the $50 credit when requested.

Perhaps you should give them a chance before moaning about how "terrible" they are?

You've got a Reader for $50 (I paid $620 for mine) and still you're unhappy? What does it take to please some people???
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:48 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You have a lot of issues that you're discussing, because you're aggravated with your circumstance, but I want to address one:

Just because you can get books from Sony that are out of copyright does not mean they are therefore "practically useless." When you ordered your Reader, I'm assuming you were offered the 50 free Classics, and $50 in credit for any book.

50 Classics at $1.99 each is $100. (Take 100 Classics and mulitply that by $1.99 and that totals $200)

Yes, indeed, the Classics are available elsewhere - many available even here - and for free. I prefer to think the ones here offer more "functionality" [links] and look better. When the people here - or anywhere else, for that matter - put these PG books together and make them available, even though they are available elsewhere, do you think we feel they are therefore useless just because they're public domain books?

Perhaps the thing that attracted you to the Sony Reader was the advertised low price and ONLY the $50 in credit. If the Classics hold no interest for you (based upon the original offer), then why write about it in your letter here. In other words: as part of your argument, this is a weak argument. Perhaps you never intended to buy the 50 free Classics, given that for you they are useless to you.

There are other holes in your argument, but not in your anger. Other members here have provided phone numbers. If you can't get the service you need, then get authorization to return it, cancel the Sony Card, and walk away.

There will be other ereaders out there, and they will be out there soon. They won't cheap.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:11 AM   #9
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Sony reader for 60$, that's a bargain however you look at it!!
And the Connect people were very nice with me, I registered online with customer support about the credit (got the Sony on Aug 1), they e-mailed immediately to send them the order form dated July 17 to get the 50$ credit.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:45 PM   #10
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
Sony reader for 60$, that's a bargain however you look at it!!
And the Connect people were very nice with me, I registered online with customer support about the credit (got the Sony on Aug 1), they e-mailed immediately to send them the order form dated July 17 to get the 50$ credit.
I agree, I got my reader for $60, so I'm not goona cry about some stupid classic books [free all over the place].. The Sony reader is worth $300 anywhere else so stop whining.. peace.

F.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:05 PM   #11
sinoarts
sinoarts began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Instructions on how to get your $50 July eBook Credit

For those of you who ordered their eReader by July 31st, but due to delayed shipping, was not able to get the $50 book credit that was promised, here is what you need to do.

(1) Make sure that you have installed the CONNECT software, register at the eBook Store, AND authorized the eBook Reader. At this point, your account will have the August promotion applied, 100 classic eBooks.

(2) Call Sony ebook support at 877-CNECTME (877-263-2863, and tell them that you want to apply for the "149 dollar summer promotion extension". All you need is to give them the email address you used to register at the eBook store. The will send you an email that looks like this:

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
149 dollar summer promotion extension
Discussion Thread
Response (Eric) - 08/14/2007 12:53 PM
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Sony Connect!

We will honor your rebate request for your purchase of a Sony Reader PRS-500 as long as the sale receipt, or order confirmation, is dated on or before 7/31/07. To confirm this please scan and attach a copy of your sale receipt/order confirmation to this incident and reply back to us. Please note that while we can extend this to purchases made on or before 7/31/07 the promotion codes and credit will expire completely by 8/31/07 and cannot be extended past that date.

Please refer to the terms and conditions of this promotion at http://eBooks.connect.com/promos/terms_149/index.html
If the information I have provided does not completely answer your question, please update this incident so I may be of further assistance to you.

Sincerely,
Eric

Customer Support Representative
Sony Connect
http://eBooks.connect.com

Question Reference #******-******
Product Level 1: eBooks
Product Level 2: Promotions
Date Created: 08/14/2007 12:53 PM
Last Updated: 08/14/2007 12:53 PM
Operating System: Windows XP SP2
Browser Version:
Connection Type:

(3) Just follow the instructions in the email by responding to it, attaching a scan of your order page (pdf or image file) dated no later than July 31, and they will respond with a coupon code for the $50 credit. Do this as soon as you receive the ereader in the mail, as the $50 will still expire on August 31.
sinoarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:36 PM   #12
irishjew
Enthusiast
irishjew doesn't litteririshjew doesn't litter

Has anyone who got the extension gotten their credit yet? How long does it take between sending them your order confirmation and receiving the credit?
irishjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:32 PM   #13
rwsimon
Connoisseur
rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 2 Sony PRS-500s, iPad
I sent them an email the day I got my reader (which was about 8/6) with proof of the qualifying order date. They sent me a code the next day that allowed me to instantly get the $50 credit at the Connect Store. So it can be very fast.
rwsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:45 PM   #14
wdahab
wdahab began at the beginning.

I did contact Sony Connect and they were very helpful in setting me up with the original offer and I am very very happy with their customer service. So there is a happy ending. For people who think I was overreacting, well, that is perhaps a valid opinion though I don't agree. I personally don't enjoy being lied to and told one thing until it is too late and then being told that there is nothing to do about it. But of course everything worked out, so I am quite content now.

In my personal opinion, I still maintain that the original deal was better. Among other things, I do not particularly love the way that books are formatted by Connect. The margins are simply much to wide and the text too large. I love the way all of you great people who have devoted your time to format books yourself have done it. Thank you, of course. They also don't have a particularly large selection -- yet -- of classic books, it hardly rivals the size of quality books found here on mobileread. I might never find 100 of their books that I truly want to download. However, they have a wonderfully large selection of new releases that I really would like. Personally, my first too purchases are going to be The Prince of the Marshes as well as The Places in Between, both of which are being sold for decent prices. I am very likely to spend well past the $50 they are giving me on ebooks, which I am going to be very happy to do.

And of course, if you disagree with my feelings on the matter, well that is fine. I rather think I was right to be angry and that I am right to be very happy now. And now I'm going to start using book designer to get some good quality Hardy poems posted.
wdahab is offline   Reply With Quote