Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
Vich
Vich began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo very very slow to update new books

I thought that it was the 800 books so I did the factory reset and then loaded a few books through calibre. Watching it now, its been 15 minutes! yikes. Anyone have a solution? delete the sql?

thanks
Vich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Vich

did a test

and reconnected to computer, then disconnected. looked at it with calibre but didnt add anything. this time it took 3 minutes so a big improvement. still seems slow though.
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Some books are truly crappy--I have had one so far like that. Are you talking about books purchased from places like Kobo, Sony etc, or some other kind of books.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
Vich

I thought it was beacuse of all the books so i just put one one, Jack Londons Call of the wild from project gutenburg. still slow, 3 minutes to update. Guess just have to be patient. The wifes kindle is very quick, just seconds.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
ZombWii
Enthusiast
ZombWii began at the beginning.

It may be a wonderfully swiss-army like application but I find Calibre to be very slow itself. Just installing an update (which come frequently) seems to take forever.
ZombWii is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vich View Post
I thought that it was the 800 books so I did the factory reset and then loaded a few books through calibre. Watching it now, its been 15 minutes! yikes. Anyone have a solution? delete the sql?

thanks
Calibre does two things when sending a book to the device:

1) Copy the book(s) to the file system
2) Update the database with the collections (I'm Reading and Read)

The second is a fairly efficient database update. You can check the job details to see which stage it taking the most time.

I would guess copying the books to the device is the most time consuming. You are basically limited by the speed of the USB bus and the speed of the flash memory on the device.

I don't know the speed to the storage on the device but at less than 150 dollars for the device I can guess that it is fairly slow.

I just copied a 256 meg file to the device in Linux and it took over 8 minutes and that was from the Linux command line (with no movies of moving paper to slow it down...)

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
FWIW: loading an individual book through the desktop or ADE seems faster than loading that same book through Calibre. I have no science to fall back on, just a general sense from watching the progress on both.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote