Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
What are the first things a new 302 owner should do?

I finally took the plunge and ordered a 302. I'd originally been considering the kobo, the nook, and the various sony models, but realized that level of development, company participation in user forums, and feature-set that I think I'll use made the extra money (up here in Canada) for a 302 over the others worth it. I'm replacing an old ebookwise 1150.

As a someone computer-geeky guy, I like to fiddle, experiment, and tweak devices I have where possible, even if that's limited to the config menu. I do run Windows, but have installed/played with linux, done a moderate amount of website stuff (html/xml/css level), so I doubt I'd be programming apps, but may experiment with themes.

When my 302 arrives, and I've let it charge overnight, etc...what are the first things I should do?

Are there certain must-install apps (and instructions for how to do it)? I see the apps on the pocketbook site, but are there other repositories etc?

Are there any formats the device reads, but that really should be avoided because it doesn't do them well?

For 'collections' or groupings, what are the best ways on this device?

etc....share your wisdom, links to resources/info etc.... I'm open to it all, even the obvious.

Thanks for any input at all!

Guy
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
I finally took the plunge and ordered a 302. I'd originally been considering the kobo, the nook, and the various sony models, but realized that level of development, company participation in user forums, and feature-set that I think I'll use made the extra money (up here in Canada) for a 302 over the others worth it. I'm replacing an old ebookwise 1150.

As a someone computer-geeky guy, I like to fiddle, experiment, and tweak devices I have where possible, even if that's limited to the config menu. I do run Windows, but have installed/played with linux, done a moderate amount of website stuff (html/xml/css level), so I doubt I'd be programming apps, but may experiment with themes.

When my 302 arrives, and I've let it charge overnight, etc...what are the first things I should do?

Are there certain must-install apps (and instructions for how to do it)? I see the apps on the pocketbook site, but are there other repositories etc?

Are there any formats the device reads, but that really should be avoided because it doesn't do them well?

For 'collections' or groupings, what are the best ways on this device?

etc....share your wisdom, links to resources/info etc.... I'm open to it all, even the obvious.

Thanks for any input at all!

Guy
I'd say get Calibre. Calibre and the device collaborate pretty well.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

I've been using Calibre so far, just not for direct communication to my ebookwise.

Should I be able to get books, via wifi onto my device right form calibre?
Old 07-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
guyanonymouse -

Well, these are my opinions but:

1) Get FBreader180 to enhance your e-reading. You can find the latest versions here (the latest is 9.2): http://code.google.com/p/fbreader-po...76_fbreader180. You'll be amazed at the configurations you'll be able to do to enhance your reading enjoyment. Once you get the file, the fbreader.app file goes into the PB302 /system/bin folder, and you put the FBreader folder into the system/share folder.

[All the things you add to the reader are drag-n-drops - no installing or real mucking about necessary]

2) Along with FBreader180, get the extensions.cfg file mentioned in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67149. In my opinion, I think Adobe does a better job with PDFs than PDFviewer, so I switched them within this file (open it with Wordpad and you can edit it). This file goes into the systems/config folder on your reader.

3) You'll also want some themes - cause you just do! But, seriously, themes are cool and give you more ebook listing options. See here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80518. Whichever themes you get, they go right into the system/themes folder on your reader (and are accessed from the reader Settings).

There are also logos, an ADE hack for ePubs and extra dictionaries you'll want, but I forget where those links are. Once you find them (or someone does) - they just get dragged into folders on the PB302.

Lots of fun things to put on these extremely "hackable" device. These are just some of the "must haves" that I immediately put on my reader - and have enjoyed ever since.

Quote:
To be honest, it doesn't do PDFs all that well - though no ereader currently does. However, I don't have a problem with re-flowing library PDFs that are, essentially, text. Other than that, FBreader180 is extremely good.

Quote:
For 'collections' or groupings, what are the best ways on this device?Guy
As far as I can tell, Calibre and the Pocketbooks don't go down to series level, though you can send books over by tags.

The Pocketbook software is truly folder-friendly. It's just like adding another [external] drive. You can create folders to your heart's content.

Congratulations on your new ereader. Hope you'll be happy with it.

Marilyn

P.S. Hopefully, someone will correct me if I've steered you wrong (with specific file locations and such)...
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
guyanonymous
Guru

thanks! I'm off to read more

I appreciate your suggestions!
Old 07-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #6
guyanonymous
Guru

Oh - when I download books to the device via Calibre (wirelessly?), would it save them to the device itself or the microSD in it?

As well, can the device access both microSD and internal storage at the same time?
Old 07-04-2010, 04:52 AM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Oh - when I download books to the device via Calibre (wirelessly?), would it save them to the device itself or the microSD in it?

As well, can the device access both microSD and internal storage at the same time?
You can choose where you want to store the files

Yes, it can access both drives at the same time.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #8
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
I did all of the above as well. The other thing I did was ditch the case and get a Kindle one. MUCH better.
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
guyanonymous
Guru

Is it a direct fit with Kindle 2 cases? Only a certain type? Which one did you pick up?
Old 07-07-2010, 04:49 AM   #10
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
Quote:
Is it a direct fit with Kindle 2 cases? Only a certain type? Which one did you pick up?
I got a cheap one off ebay. I think $17 all up. I don't suppose it really matters which one you get. Just some hints...

1. get one that has nothing on the flap that opens. ie the left hand flap. Some have small leather tabs to hold business cards or something. I found they can touch the screen, so I had to cut them off.

I got one with two leather clips at the bottom, and two elastic clips at the top. These are not much good for the PB302. I kept the bottom left leather clip to hold the PB302 in place - and cut the others off. This locks the PB302 in place.

I then used three bits of double sided tape, and stuck the PB302 to the cover. This is better than velcro as it is thinner - plus you can also remove them easily if you have to send your unit back for repair. Perhaps the small, round velco patches might be ok too. I found the double sided taped very good though - it feels very solid. I have been out camping with it, in the cold and the rain. Also been using the thing for days on end. It still feels very solid. ie it the double sided tape seems to be holding it ok.

It is a much better cover than the one provided. I can now charge the thing easily and I can now use the side buttons. The side buttons are still a bit difficult to use (nothing to do with the cover - they are simply too small).

If I had to get another cover, I would opt for a bit more expensive one. The cover I bought was the cheapest one I could find - after all, I did not know if it would work or not. The leather is a bit thin. I guess this makes it nice and light, but perhaps I would have preferred a bit more quality.
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #11
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
Quote:
I am very happy with the M-Edge cover I got.

I used sidecutters to crimp the metal tabs near the spine, then used pliers to work them back and forth until they popped off. I cut off the elastic on the corners. Using heavy duty velcro, very carefully avoiding the battery cover, I stuck one side on the inside of the cover and the other side of the velcro on the back of the PB302.

This has proven to be a durable, easy to use and stylish solution.
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #12
guyanonymous
Guru

If only this device attracted the attention of the ipod/pad/touch/phone case makers! Alas, no dealextreme's in the cards for the cheap choices galore!

On my replacement device (first one defective), it came with the newer style case (without the tape)...but I find the buttons not as easily pressed - and of course you need to take it out to use the ac adapter. I'm thinking of making one out of an old hard cover if I can find one the right size, condition, etc.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
I'm thinking of making one out of an old hard cover if I can find one the right size, condition, etc.
http://www.kindlecases.net/10-kindle...uild-for-free/
Check their home page, too. Some of those commercial kindle cases could be adapted to the 302 easily.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:17 PM   #14
guyanonymous
Guru

What I'd really like is one of those form-fitting silicone shells for when it's not in a pouch. I do find the device a bit slippery for one-handed use.