Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
dolmen
dolmen began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-300
Text fading under sunlight

Hi,

today was the first day I could use my PRS-300 under sunlight. It was not nice !
Text faded quite considerably when turning pages under direct sunlight.
They were rendered like a sheet of paper printed by a laser printer when running out
of toner. This is quite dissapointed.

I did some experiments at home and I saw that it's not only direct sunlight
which causes this. If a put the ebook reader quite close to an incandescent lamp
and I do a page turn, I can observe more or less the same behaviour. And it's
not the heat it's just the intensity of visible light (my incadescent lamp doesn't
have any kind of UV light) which seems to affect the rendering of the page.

I've attached a picture of the screen taken with my camera where you can see
what the fading looks like.

So, remember, it only happens when turning pages (rendering). If you turn the page avoiding the
direct sunlight it will be rendered properly and it will not change if you expose it afterwards.
However if the page turn was done under direct sunlight, the text will remain faded

I bought my PRS-300 on mid. December in the US.

I read in some other threads where it was said that some displays were defective...
If that's the case, mine's for sure.

BR

Juan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lamp.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	43888  

Last edited by dolmen; 01-20-2010 at 03:18 PM.
dolmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This isn't a problem with eInk displays generally, but unfortunately a small number of individual screen do have the problem. Unfortunately, all you can do is try to exchange the device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
tnronin
Zealot
tnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
So, remember, it only happens when turning pages (rendering), it doesn't affect the
device once the page is shown.
I have to ask why this is an issue? Once the page is shown it is clear right? Does it take a lot of time to show? Am I missing something here?
tnronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
Levelpart
Levelpart began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
This happens on my prs 600 too and I guess it's due to the way the e-ink technology works
Levelpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
dolmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnronin View Post
I have to ask why this is an issue? Once the page is shown it is clear right? Does it take a lot of time to show? Am I missing something here?
Sorry, I didn't express it correctly. What I tried to say It's that if you turn the page
for in instance in the dark and the displayed page looks fine it doesn't matter
if you expose the device to direct sunlight, the page will remain fine. However,
if the page is turned while the device is under direct sunlight, it will not be
rendered properly and will remain this way permanently until you turn the page
again and you are not under direct sunlight or it will happen again !

BR

Juan
Old 01-20-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
My 505 does the same, and I thought it was normal. It's not, for some reason a certain percentage of eink screens (which includes kindles and whatnot) do this. Some are worse than others. It doesn't bother me enough to go through the trouble of exchanging it, I just angle my Reader so my shadow covers it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My 505 is great in direct sunlight. It seems though that some Vizplex screens made by LG are to blame for sunlight fading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
tnronin
Zealot
tnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't litter

Ah ok, I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the clarification. I dunno if this will be a problem for me or not. I sure hope not.

ETA: I exposed the 300 to a very bright light and it didn't fade. Maybe I'll be ok.

Last edited by tnronin; 01-20-2010 at 03:40 PM.
tnronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #9
Levelpart
Levelpart began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
I'd say most readers suffer from this problem but not everyone experiences it since it depends on the sunlight intensity. The fading effect is (I think) caused by the radiation emitted by the sun which causes some kind of interference on the e-ink display.
On the following picture we can see how e-ink displays are made so it seems plausible that a high level of electromagnetic radiation might interfere in some way with character rendering on the screen.
Levelpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #10
R0B_IX
Enthusiast
R0B_IX began at the beginning.

That's very interesting. I haven't seen it on my PRS-600, but I have always been at least slightly in the shade while reading. Out of curiosity, does the same thing happen if you were to hold a bright flashlight above the screen while turning the page? Also, does it get more noticeable over time? Without looking up more details about how e-ink refreshes the display it would be impossible to tell, but I wouldn't suspect light to be the primary culprit here; a bi-product of light seems much more likely.
R0B_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #11
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
I stepped outside just now and tested my 300 in bright sunshine. There is a notable difference but not enough to bother me.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #12
dolmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B_IX View Post
That's very interesting. I haven't seen it on my PRS-600, but I have always been at least slightly in the shade while reading. Out of curiosity, does the same thing happen if you were to hold a bright flashlight above the screen while turning the page? Also, does it get more noticeable over time? Without looking up more details about how e-ink refreshes the display it would be impossible to tell, but I wouldn't suspect light to be the primary culprit here; a bi-product of light seems much more likely.
Yes it happens if you hold a bright flashlight above the screen. In the first post of
th thread:

"If a put the ebook reader quite close to an incandescent lamp
and I do a page turn, I can observe more or less the same behaviour."

So fare, I haven't seen it more noticeable over time. It just depends on the light intensity when you turn the page. Higher intensity --> higher text fading.

Juan
Old 01-21-2010, 08:37 AM   #13
R0B_IX
Enthusiast
R0B_IX began at the beginning.

The reason why I asked about a flashlight was because I was hoping for a source that wouldn't give off a lot of heat while still being bright (flashlights tend to have some sort of insulator between the light source and the user).
R0B_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:57 AM   #14
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
never saw that and i am reading a lot while lying on my terrasse
and that is a lot nearer to the sun because i live on the 17. floor
and that's where my terrasse is ;-)

keep reading
harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote