Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
Bigo2
Zealot
Bigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindle3
Angry italics etc. in new Sigil

Hi I just have downloaded and installed the latest Sigil (0.7.4).
I tried to load a html file, which I would like to convert to epub, but I have found that all the italcs disapeared.
What's wrong?
Please help...

Last edited by Bigo2; 11-01-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Bigo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
How do the italic look like in the HTML? Can you show a piece of the HTML code before import in Sigil and how that code looks in Sigil?
I haven't tested 0.7.4 yet, but so far it left all the tags alone if they were used correctly.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigo2 View Post
Hi I just have downloaded and installed the latest Sigil (0.7.4).
I tried to load a html file, which I would like to convert to epub, but I have found that all the italcs disapeared.
What's wrong?
Please help...

You did not have the stylesheet properly referenced
You don't have the Italic font associated with the EPUB
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
Bigo2
Zealot
Bigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
How do the italic look like in the HTML? Can you show a piece of the HTML code before import in Sigil and how that code looks in Sigil?
I haven't tested 0.7.4 yet, but so far it left all the tags alone if they were used correctly.
Hi I have found that when I save the html file as epub, the italics are there. It's only the Sigil screen where they are not shown properly...

Here is the part of the original html. In Sigil the italics are shown properly, and they are OK when saved as epub:

html:
<p class="calibre6">“How bad?”</p>
<br class="calibre4" />
<p class="calibre6"><span class="italic">“Very</span> bad.” Kendrick coughed. “Don’t use that name,” he added.</p>
<br class="calibre4" />

Sigil:
<p class="calibre6">“How bad?”</p><br class="calibre4"/>

<p class="calibre6"><span class="italic">“Very</span> bad.” Kendrick coughed. “Don’t use that name,” he added.</p><br class="calibre4"/>

Here is the same part which I edited in Word and saved as a Web Page, Filtered, as usually - it always worked...
In Sigil then the italics are NOT shown properly, but they are OK when saved as epub:

html:
<p class=calibre6 style='margin-top:0cm;margin-right:5.0pt;margin-bottom:0cm;
margin-left:5.0pt;margin-bottom:.0001pt;text-align:justify'><span
class=italic1><span style='font-family:"Cambria","serif"'>“Very</span></span><span
style='font-family:"Cambria","serif"'> bad.” Kendrick coughed. “Don’t use that
name,” he added.</span></p>

Sigil:
<p class="calibre6" style="margin-top:0cm;margin-right:5.0pt;margin-bottom:0cm; margin-left:5.0pt;margin-bottom:.0001pt;text-align:justify"><span class="italic1"><span style="font-family:&quot;Cambria&quot;,&quot;serif&quot;">“Ver y</span></span> <span style="font-family:&quot;Cambria&quot;,&quot;serif&quot;">bad. ” Kendrick coughed. “Don’t use that name,” he added.</span></p>
Old 11-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
Bigo2
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

You did not have the stylesheet properly referenced
You don't have the Italic font associated with the EPUB
Hi - I don't know how to reference the stylesheet...
I use Sigil to convert files I edited in Word and saved as a Web Page, Filtered. I never had a problem with this, always updating Sigil - until now, when I installed the new version...

I have found that it is only the Sigil screen where the italics (and bolts etc.) are changed to Regular. When I save it as an epub all is OK - all is there.
Yestreday, I did not know this.
It looks like the screen is not WYSIWYG anymore.

Last edited by Bigo2; 11-01-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Advert
Old 11-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Hi - I don't know how to reference the stylesheet...
I use Sigil to convert files I edited in Word and saved as a Web Page, Filtered. I never had a problem with this, always updating Sigil - until now, when I installed the new version...

I have found that it is only the Sigil screen where the italics (and bolts etc.) are changed to Regular. When I save it as an epub all is OK - all is there.
Yestreday, I did not know this.
It looks like the screen is not WYSIWYG anymore.
That is one ugly conversion (code)
Something was not correct (or the exported stylesheet was not kept with the HTML) Calibre usually does lots better than that with even Word HTML

Look at the stylesheet: .italic1 { font-style: italic; ; } should be there
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Something was not correct (or the exported stylesheet was not kept with the HTML) Calibre usually does lots better than that with even Word HTML
Garbage in, garbage out.

What I do is replace the Calibre styles in the HTML and CSS with styles I actually understand just by the name.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
Bigo2
Zealot

Quote:

Look at the stylesheet: .italic1 { font-style: italic; ; } should be there
The story is:
I was trying to remove spacings between pragraphs in this book file during the conversion from epub to mobi in Calibre. It did not work, I tried several times, so I opened it in Sigil and there I have found that all the spaces are actually empty lines. I did not know how to remove those in Sigil, so I convereted the original epub to htmlz in Calibre, then I opened the html file in Word and using the find and replace I removed those empty lines. After that I've saved the file as a Web Page, Filtered...
The rest you already know...
Old 11-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
Bigo2
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Garbage in, garbage out.

What I do is replace the Calibre styles in the HTML and CSS with styles I actually understand just by the name.
Hi - I don't know how to replace the Calibre styles in the HTML and CSS...
Can you please explain?
Old 11-02-2013, 02:50 AM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The empty lines are not spaces... The lines you see in code view are not visible in the ePUB or bookview. The margin in your classes are causing this. Read up a little on HTML/CSS and you will see.

Don't use Word HTML export unless you are willing (able?) to clean it up. I would recommend other means to get HTML from Word. I usually don't do this, but if you use my add-in, you can produce a basic ePUB from Word directly. In the current version you need Sigil to split and create the internal TOC (ncx), but that is on my list to do.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #11
Bigo2
Zealot

Hi Toxaris - I'm going to learn something about HTML/CSS as you suggest - if you could recommend some publication it would be great…

I have downloaded and installed your add-in for Word etc., and now I am able to create the epub directly from Word! That’s incredible, I was always wondering why this is not available – and now I have it. I think I will not need Sigil anymore!
I am looking forward playing with it.

Thank you very much!!!

Regards

George
Old 11-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The following code 100% shows italics in Sigil 0.7.4.

Code:
<em>inside</em>
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
I think I will not need Sigil anymore!
I am looking forward playing with it.
Well, I still recommend Sigil for touching up and for styling. The stylesheet I provide is very basic.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:29 AM   #14
Bigo2
Zealot

Thanks everybody for help

Regards

Bigo2