Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
weidbrewer
weidbrewer began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Ubuntu Calibre server acting wonky

Hey all!

For background, these are the instructions that I've used to set up my content server in Ubuntu 10.04.

In general, they have worked fine, but now I'm having a weird problem. I recently had to rebuild my server after a hard drive smoked, so some things, such as Calibre had to be rebuilt individually (thankfully, my library itself was backed up.) I set everything back up tonight, and it was working.

I did some other things on my computer (the only thing even close to Calibre was doing a backup on the library files, but that shouldn't have had any effect.) Now, the web server shows a "No books found:" error.

Client-side, everything is working, and every computer within my network using the client can find the books - it's just the web interface that's not finding anything.

Nothing has been changed in regards to routers or firewalls.

Anyone have any ideas?

PS: Absolutely love the software and have been telling everyone I know with an e-reader about it.
weidbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by weidbrewer View Post
Hey all!

For background, these are the instructions that I've used to set up my content server in Ubuntu 10.04.

In general, they have worked fine, but now I'm having a weird problem. I recently had to rebuild my server after a hard drive smoked, so some things, such as Calibre had to be rebuilt individually (thankfully, my library itself was backed up.) I set everything back up tonight, and it was working.

I did some other things on my computer (the only thing even close to Calibre was doing a backup on the library files, but that shouldn't have had any effect.) Now, the web server shows a "No books found:" error.

Client-side, everything is working, and every computer within my network using the client can find the books - it's just the web interface that's not finding anything.

Nothing has been changed in regards to routers or firewalls.

Anyone have any ideas?

PS: Absolutely love the software and have been telling everyone I know with an e-reader about it.
Rebuild Calibre?
Hopefully you are NOT using the the Repository version. So out of date....
Is something else using the Calibre assigned port?
Can you connect Locally (LAN)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
weidbrewer

I guess I didn't explain well enough - I thought I covered the bases. (I seem to have a knack for that...) My apologies.

I am using the binary version DL'd from the site, as I was aware the repo version is out of date.

Depending on what you mean by "locally," I am unable to connect. Again, I can access the library with the Calibre GUI client on all machines (either through NFS share on Linux machines, or Samba on Windows ones.) I cannot access via localhost:8080 or 192.168.1.2:8080. I also cannot access via xxx.x.x.x:8080. (Public IP)

Earlier tonight, I was able to access the web version without problems.

I have also attempted stopping and restarting the server itself, as well as rebooting. A few times, the script start issued an "Aborted" message, but the next attempt would not.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Earlier tonight, I was able to access the web version without problems.

I have also attempted stopping and restarting the server itself, as well as rebooting. A few times, the script start issued an "Aborted" message, but the next attempt would not.
This sounds like your IP is not static or Reserved (a Router DHCP Server function) .
Any Browser on your network should be able to access the Web interface.

Do you have the the (Preferences:Sharing) set to start the WEB server on Calibre Startup (also try the 'test server button)?
Old 07-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
weidbrewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Do you have the the (Preferences:Sharing) set to start the WEB server on Calibre Startup (also try the 'test server button)?
I'm honestly not sure what you mean by this part. If you could give me a few more details, it would be appreciated.

To be honest, my old install of this (before the hard drive issue required me to start over) I never actually even used the client on the machine housing the server. I just installed via those instructions, ran it once just for setting the location of the library in opening menu, then closed it...so there was nothing else changed/set in that. And, again, nothing has changed on the network itself.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
weidbrewer

Okay...I poked around in the client a bit and figured out what you are talking about...I fairly sure that's something different than what I linked in my original post. It's certainly something I haven't had to do before.

I tested/started the server through those options on another machine using Calibre, and when i tested it, it opened in my browser....however, it was just the local test. The external try still leads to the same screen

So, again - I've been going with the instructions that I had linked in my first post - and this has worked before, and in fact did until earlier tonight. I'm still able to connect - it's just not finding the books.

I've never gotten anything with the server through the GUI to work at all.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Okay...I poked around in the client a bit and figured out what you are talking about...I fairly sure that's something different than what I linked in my original post. It's certainly something I haven't had to do before.

I tested/started the server through those options on another machine using Calibre, and when i tested it, it opened in my browser....however, it was just the local test. The external try still leads to the same screen

So, again - I've been going with the instructions that I had linked in my first post - and this has worked before, and in fact did until earlier tonight. I'm still able to connect - it's just not finding the books.

I've never gotten anything with the server through the GUI to work at all.
The server is working, The server just can't find your Library
The Guru's of development will need to help.

BTW when you restored the Library, did you reconfigure the file system 'Rights' for the Library? Are you (the user) still the owner with rw rights?
Old 07-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
weidbrewer

Yep. Went through the instructions step-by-step.

Again - it worked fine for about an hour or so...in that time, there was a reboot or two, and a backup run - but neither of those should have changed anything.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Your passing the wrong path to --with-library (probably an empty or non existent directory instead of the calibre library)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #10
weidbrewer

Hmm...any idea where to look? In my script, it points at:

Code:
CONTENT=/media/raid/Library  
PORT=8080  
MAX_COVER=600x800  
USERNAME=<username>
PASSWORD=<password
...which is correct. Is there some other location I should check? (And if so, I am completely baffled as to how it might have gotten changed.)

Thanks for chiming in!
Old 07-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #11
weidbrewer

Okay....now I'm getting very frustrated. I forwarded port 9090 to try that, and success. Rebooted...back to the same problem.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:23 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The error that you posted happens when there are zero books in the library. That in turn happens when you point the server to an empty directory (the server automatically creates an empty library in the directory). Why it's happening in your setup, I cannot say. Look at the library path displayed in the bottom right corner of the screen, check if it is what you expect.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:24 AM   #13
weidbrewer

Yeah, but the library was still where it was supposed to be. Notice that I said, "was." I musta done something wrong at some point and accidentally deleted it. Yeah, that sucked. I'm in the process of recreating from a backup.

So, right now, the script has it at port 8080, and that doesn't find the library at all. In the application, I got it working on 9090. Strange thing is, if I hit the "start server" button, it tells me that 9090 is unavailable - even though it's working now.

I'd never used the in-app server settings before, but now it seems to be defaulting to those, no matter what the script said...but, I can still connect to a blank library on 8080, so it seems like I have to instances of the server running somehow. Not sure how I'm going to clean that up.

I'm also trying to figure out why everything goes to poop when I reboot the machine. That is not optimal. Is there any error report I can run for you all to help analyze it?

But, let me stress: This does not affect my feelings on the program. It's still the best book-management software I've used, and well worth it for this first instance of hassle. Thanks for all of your hard work in creating/maintaining it!
Old 07-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:

So, right now, the script has it at port 8080, and that doesn't find the library at all. In the application, I got it working on 9090. Strange thing is, if I hit the "start server" button, it tells me that 9090 is unavailable - even though it's working now.
How many WEB servers are you running on that machine?

Quote:
I'm also trying to figure out why everything goes to poop when I reboot the machine. That is not optimal. Is there any error report I can run for you all to help analyze it?
Sounds like you have a shell script that is starting up multiple services and there is a race. (if you are starting from a Script. Don't have the Preference auto start Calibre WEB service.
Quote:
But, let me stress: This does not affect my feelings on the program. It's still the best book-management software I've used, and well worth it for this first instance of hassle. Thanks for all of your hard work in creating/maintaining it!
This is the first report of this nature I have seen (there have been others that are different ) in the year+ I have beenhaunting this board. This is a User specific issue.
BTW I have no problem with my Natty Desktop version: Calibre Server starts when I launch Calibre.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #15
weidbrewer

LOL...you and I really don't seem to be speaking the same language here.

Let me try again: I appear to have two Calibre web servers running, but not intentionally, and yes, it appears to be because of a foot-race at startup. As I said in my last post, I seem to have these two instances running and am unsure how to clean it up. I can't turn off the in-app one, because it doesn't - technically - seem to be running. Every time I go in there, the button to start the server is highlighted, not the stop server one....yet, the server is accessible as if it's running, and on the port specified there.

I'd really much prefer to use the script that I've always been using, but that's screwing up and I don't know why. I'd never used the in-app server options, because they've never worked well for me, where-as (until now) the script always has....plus, I never have to go into that machine and use Calibre on it, because the script auto-starts it. With the in-app server controls, any time I start that machine, I have to physically open Calibre in order to get the server to start from what I understand (and from what you just posted: "Calibre Server starts when I launch Calibre".) This isn't just a server in name - this is my actual home server and not a PC that I sit down and use every day, so having to manually start things is not optimal.

Like-wise, upgrading to Natty is not an option on this machine, as I need to stick with the reliability of the LTS releases for everything else I have served out of that machine.