Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-06-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Question Funny thing happening...

I've moved all my ebooks over to my SD card because I've been having problem after problem with the ebooks 'forgetting' the 'last-page-read' position when exiting them (or when the ebook shut itself off) if the ebooks resided on the Cybook itself.

That solved the 'forgot-last-page-read-position' problem. *NOW* it's always reverting to Verdana font family and the fourth Font Size from the top every frigging time I exit the ebook!!!! Any solutions? Anyone?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
This sound like writing of information is failing or that the disk in re-mounted read only because of errors. So check if the internal disk is corrupted so you know if this is the cause.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
This sound like writing of information is failing or that the disk in re-mounted read only because of errors. So check if the internal disk is corrupted so you know if this is the cause.
Does the .mbp (.mpb?) file store the last known position in the ebook? I *think* it does, because if I erase it, the ebook opens to the first page. But if so, isn't that the same file used to store the font family to use on the ebook? In which case, the SD card isn't corrupted/read-protected because then NONE of that information would be saved.

Derek
Old 03-06-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Does the .mbp (.mpb?) file store the last known position in the ebook? I *think* it does, because if I erase it, the ebook opens to the first page. But if so, isn't that the same file used to store the font family to use on the ebook? In which case, the SD card isn't corrupted/read-protected because then NONE of that information would be saved.
The font family and size is a global choice so it is most probably stored on the internal disk. Maybe it is stored in the .fonts.cache-1 file.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
The font family and size is a global choice so it is most probably stored on the internal disk. Maybe it is stored in the .fonts.cache-1 file.
You may be right. I'll delete the font cache file.

Derek
Old 03-06-2008, 05:55 PM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Why do you not try to solve the real problem? It is good if people confirm file system corruption so we can understand how it happens.

I would have renamed the file to avoid the same file system position being used for the new file. I would also test to save a big file in the system directory just to move the position were new files are stored.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

I think the font size and font family is stored in system/user/config.dat. I looked at this file and it stores the file you should open when turning the Cybook on.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:16 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
I think the font size and font family is stored in system/user/config.dat. I looked at this file and it stores the file you should open when turning the Cybook on.
Actually, there's this mobipocket file that when I did a bulk move from the Cybook's internal storage to the SD card, I accidentally moved that file as well - not leaving a copy in the Cybook's \eBooks folder. So I just copied it across to the Cybook's internal memory and, strangest thing, my Font Family and Size settings magically got restored! Lesson there is to NOT remove that file. ;-)

Derek
Old 03-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Why do you not try to solve the real problem? It is good if people confirm file system corruption so we can understand how it happens.

I would have renamed the file to avoid the same file system position being used for the new file. I would also test to save a big file in the system directory just to move the position were new files are stored.
For which? For the font family/size issue? I confirmed that removing the file that stores the currently assigned family/size data from the \eBooks folder on the Cybook is a BAD thing because as soon as I restored it, the Cybook's ability to remember this information re-appeared. As for the whole 'remembering-last-page-read', I've already notified Bookeen of the problem.

I am, when it comes to Linux and Linux apps, BARELY a beginner programmer. You want to talk Windows and Delphi, Visual C++ and the like, that's a different story.

Now I'm obviously going to have to delve deeper into the whole Python and Perl end of this, but that will take time for me to get far enough up the learning curve.

But until I get there, I'd *LIKE* to be able to read my ebooks without the hassles from various bugs. So, as with most Bookeen customers, I submit reports and wait.

Derek
Old 03-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Lesson there is to NOT remove that file. ;-)
Er, what was that file named again?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #11
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Er, what was that file named again?
I don't know what the extension is, but under WinXP's Explorer it shows up as a PARAM file and it's name is mobipocket.

Have fun.

Derek
Old 03-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't know what the extension is, but under WinXP's Explorer it shows up as a PARAM file and it's name is mobipocket.
The filename is mobipocket.param and you are right that for example the font used is stored there. But you are wrong in your conclusion that it is a problem removing. I just tested to rename it and it was properly recreated and new settings was stored in the new file and everything worked perfectly.

So your problem is something else and as I have said it is probably a corrupt file system so why do you not check this? People have posted how to check it in Windows here and it should be easy to google.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I believe that re-flashing re-creates the internal file system. Might be worth doing so to see if the problem goes away.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:40 PM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I believe that re-flashing re-creates the internal file system. Might be worth doing so to see if the problem goes away.
Yes, but my point was that it is much better to confirm what the problem is since it will give us more knowledge. Just blindly re-flashing will not get us nearer a good understanding of what is causing the problem.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, that's certainly a good point.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote